Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Best Early Warning Dog Breeds?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013, 06:02 PM   #61
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7338 Times on 4254 Posts
Likes Given: 9451

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07 View Post
Just like I don't tell my insurance company that I eat bacon.
Well, pretty much everybody eats bacon. Not everyone has a dog.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #62
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 87 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post

hmmmm..... funny my insurance agent never asked me about what breeds of dogs we own.
Hmo's are very biased against anything remotely similar to Rottweilers, though they are the friendliest dogs I've ever encountered. There have only been a couple problem dogs I've run into in my life, a pitbull owned by a criminal, a black lab, and a golden retriever, and all had to do with the owner/s.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:56 PM   #63
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 120 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 128

I don't know about any other dogs but my dog is 1/4 Rott, 1/4 pit,1/4 Lab & 1/4 Auss. Queensland. She starts barking as soon as the UPS/FED-EX truck turns on our street. At night anyone comes near the house(waking a dog on the sidewalk)
, (neighbors in their yard across the street) she goes ballistic.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-28-2013, 10:00 PM   #64
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1771 Times on 1159 Posts
Likes Given: 1362

Quote:
Originally Posted by armsmaster270 View Post
I don't know about any other dogs but my dog is 1/4 Rott, 1/4 pit,1/4 Lab & 1/4 Auss. Queensland. She starts barking as soon as the UPS/FED-EX truck turns on our street. At night anyone comes near the house(waking a dog on the sidewalk)
, (neighbors in their yard across the street) she goes ballistic.

Looks like there is some beagle in there too!

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 07-28-2013, 10:23 PM   #65
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16864 Times on 9772 Posts
Likes Given: 43973

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildenton View Post
Hmo's are very biased against anything remotely similar to Rottweilers, though they are the friendliest dogs I've ever encountered. There have only been a couple problem dogs I've run into in my life, a pitbull owned by a criminal, a black lab, and a golden retriever, and all had to do with the owner/s.
i have owned two Rottweilers and three Dobermans in my lifetime. with the exception of Ramone one of the Rottweilers, all were very protective but very well mannered and not aggresive. Ramone was a lttile bit of the exception and i got him our of one of my brothers dogs litters. he was the runt and the most aggresive. when he was fully grown, he tipped the scales at about 135 lbs. other than my brother and i, he wanted nothing to do with anyone. i took him off my brothers hands because no one else wanted him. he was pretty much a one person dog and just didn't really care for other people, but with me he was a huge lap dog and very protective and very territorial. he never exceeded his territory, nor did he attack anyone, but he didn't want strangers messing with him in anyway. he would keep to himself when i had company or friends over as he was not a friendly or social type of dog. i can say that i did sleep quite well at night with him in the house! as he was very alert, very protective and was quite large enough to handle just about anything!

Old 07-30-2013, 04:57 AM   #66
Camo, you are lucky to see it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1575 Times on 870 Posts
Likes Given: 4789

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Lol. I've literally never heard of a watch bird. I believe you, it just sounds a bit ridiculous.
It is true, neighbor has 4
I have 3 adults and 5 goslings.

They think everyone is going to feed them and start making noise immediatelty.

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL

Old 07-30-2013, 05:43 AM   #67

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

German Sheppard mixes work good for alert dogs. The Sheppard in them will allow for excellent hearing.But really just about any mixed dog will work. I like the mutts better to get away from the gross inbreeding that happens many times.
I have a German police-Norwegian bull mix that is an outstanding house dog. She will let me know if anyone is around and has different barks when it's more important to move my rear and check it out. She's a pretty good size dog though and not the best for inside for some people. Mine spends most her time outside though. She payrolls outside all night unless the weather is bad.

My in laws have a wiener dog that is abotu as noisy as one could want. Any sound outside and he's asses and elbows running around and barking.

Most dogs can be good alert dogs though I would guess. A happy well taken care of dog will always want to please their humans. I've seen good examples of about every possible breed and mix of those breeds at one time or another. So it's more about what you want and like.

...And I've also never had t tell and ins company what if any dogs I had. Maybe that's a local thing?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-30-2013, 06:17 AM   #68
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7338 Times on 4254 Posts
Likes Given: 9451

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
Most dogs can be good alert dogs though I would guess. A happy well taken care of dog will always want to please their humans. I've seen good examples of about every possible breed and mix of those breeds at one time or another. So it's more about what you want and like.
My Springer is as useless as tits on a shovel when it comes to security. He is also deaf as a post, which probably has something to do with it.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:40 AM   #69
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6118 Times on 3707 Posts
Likes Given: 6928

I have a Papillon and she is a barker. That breed is also on the list of top 10 smartest dogs. If you're looking for a small one, I suggest a Papillon.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:43 PM   #70

Liked 54 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default High Risk Breed??

I have had about every type of dog breed there is, and currently i have a pittbull and a Chihuahua and i have to say everytime i hear smack about aggressive breeds i get so aggrivated. Its very simple small yappy dogs are more likely to bite you but problem is they dont do as much damage so noone talks about these "attacks"! My pitt is by far the sweetest most laid back dog i have ever had. Its these stupid "people" that get dogs and train them to be aggressive(which can be done with any breed) that gives them a bad rap, drives me crazy!!!!!