Best Early Warning Dog Breeds? - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Best Early Warning Dog Breeds?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013, 01:32 AM   #51
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8582 Times on 4956 Posts
Likes Given: 11142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
A large breed mongrel will do fine. Many of the pure breed dogs are so inbred as to be brainless. Go to the pound and pick a young dog with big feet.
Truth!......

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
NC1760 Likes This 
Old 07-28-2013, 03:17 AM   #52
emo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 275 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Here's one of our guard dogs (ignore the fat finger in the way of the lens!). Wife says that when I'm not home, they're up all night going window to window. When I'm home, they look like this, guess they feel theyre off duty when I'm home.

image-3979175134.jpg  

Real dogs drool!

People Like This 
Old 07-28-2013, 03:47 AM   #53

Liked 107 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 219

i find that dachshunds can be excellent alert dogs, if you have a dachshund and a rott/german shepherd mix they work really well together as an alarm system [granted theyll go off if a car, plane, or even a pedestrian is nearby, even other animals]

Old 07-28-2013, 05:21 AM   #54
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1277 Times on 869 Posts
Likes Given: 1315

I am going to have to go with my hounds !...................

When all else fails.

NC1760 Likes This 
Old 07-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1758 Times on 770 Posts
Likes Given: 1332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
A large breed mongrel will do fine. Many of the pure breed dogs are so inbred as to be brainless. Go to the pound and pick a young dog with big feet.
I agree! In addition to the attack weenies there is Mandy. She was a stray that showed up here one rainy night back in the winter. Normally they don't get to stay but I had been wanting an outside dog and she seemed to be a good dog. So after a couple months of looking for her owner(more than likely she was dumped ) I had her spade and have kept her.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #56
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21919 Times on 12384 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Some insurance companies are funny about pit bulls and dogs bred for miliitary/police work. I would check my insurance policy or just give your agent a call. It would be really sad to find out the dog has to go after your family has fallen in love with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigs-n-fixture View Post
The insurance company has to pay most of the damages if your dog bites someone. Statistically some breeds are far more likely to bite, and do damage that results in claims.

Typically, the companies that let you have any dog you want, charge you as if you have one of the "high risk" breeds.

It is not wise to not inform the insurance company about dogs you have. If you don't inform them they can void your coverage.
hmmmm..... funny my insurance agent never asked me about what breeds of dogs we own.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #57
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8582 Times on 4956 Posts
Likes Given: 11142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
hmmmm..... funny my insurance agent never asked me about what breeds of dogs we own.
I have never been asked what breed of dogs we have, but I did get into it with Animal Control when my Coonhound bit a bicyclist (as a result a report was generated and we were forced to license her). The guy insisted that she was a Rottweiler or Doberman. While the general coloring is similar, she has a large white patch on her chest and white on her feet and the moment she barks it is clear she has a lot of hound in her. Here is a pic of Daisy Duke. I disturbed her nap so she is looking at me with her WTF? look.
dscn0938.jpg  

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This 
Old 07-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #58

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I've got two German Shepherds and a Belgian Malinois.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #59

Liked 803 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 1656

Default Doggy warning systems...

My personal predjudice will show through on this... but my avitar says it all!!...
Short-haired HOUNDS.... and my favorite breed is a rescue!! Once they are secure and realize they have a forever home and someone that loves them they WILL protect it and the pack... and the first order in doing that is to alert the household!!

Old 07-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #60

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigs-n-fixture View Post
The insurance company has to pay most of the damages if your dog bites someone. Statistically some breeds are far more likely to bite, and do damage that results in claims.

Typically, the companies that let you have any dog you want, charge you as if you have one of the "high risk" breeds.

It is not wise to not inform the insurance company about dogs you have. If you don't inform them they can void your coverage.
Oh please enlighten me as to these HIGH RISK Breeds.

Never told any insurance company what dogs I have. Never had a problem yet. Nor will I ever tell any company.

Just like I don't tell my insurance company that I eat bacon. It is just absurd BS they try to sell you so they can make more money.

Insurance was a great thing until it became big business and a huge for profit scheme.

I personally think a single payer system would be the best. Everyone pays into a big pot equally. Then when you go to the doctor the payment is taken from that pot. Of course now that Doctors, Lawyers, and politicians are so corrupt it won't work. Plus Insurance is big business that is only looking at how much money they can make. Same with Doctors today. I am all for everyone getting paid what they are worth. When I was a kid if a family didn't have money to pay for a doctor visit the doc allowed them to barter with food, livestock, or work. That can't work today because every doctor is entitled to a million square foot house and 3 BMW's in the drive way.