Best Early Warning Dog Breeds? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Best Early Warning Dog Breeds?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2172 Times on 1205 Posts
Likes Given: 3196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
That can be dangerous. We used to have that around here. they caused lots of trouble and killed a fair number of pet cats and dogs. I remember one night when I was a kid a pack of wild dogs raided our house. Not good. Dad ran them off with a 2X4.
The dogs are the least of my worries. She has a 300lb ram "curly" that keeps breaking out of his pen. He likes to sneak around behind me real quiet, then tries to smash me in half... But he likes RG, he will come to her when she calls, she can pet him, and lead him around with a rope. Or her rooster "renny" that likes to jump down off the front gutter, and try to claw me to death...

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

Steel_Talon Likes This 
Old 07-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #32
1911 .45ACP. . then there are others.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1916 Times on 1063 Posts
Likes Given: 5784

I have always been curious also, to which breeds might be best for "Early Warning"

After reading this, it sounds like "any dog" might be the best answer.

Our current Labs stay very alert to any activity on the North 10 acres, that's their turf.

Sometimes I think they chase invisible zombies, so I feel pretty safe. The border collie and lab pups are learning from their two older lab mentors.

UNLEASH THE HOUNDS!

Old 07-27-2013, 10:31 PM   #33

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

What breeds and/or training do you think would be best and why?

Depends, do you want a large burly sentry dog or do you want a small alert dog.

Small dogs were at one time kept with big dogs. The Kings used them to alert and wake up the big sentry protection dogs. That is why so many of your little dogs are friggen yappy. They bark at anything, that would wake up the big dogs and if you were not supposed to be there the big dogs took care of you while the little dog sat back and mocked you.

I have protection trained belgian malinois. Mine will only take food from my wife and I. Not even my kids can get them to take food they put down or treats they try to feed them. That removes the lets throw a steak with sedatives in it at them. They are expensive each costing me $4k+ from the blood lines to the training they are the best. They could be Military Working Dogs or Police dogs. Believe me when I say if I give the command they will tear you limb from limb in no time at all. They are smart enough to know when it is play time and work time. They have never bitten anyone without my wife or I giving command. Because we live in the USA the commands are given in 2 foreign languages.

Again you can have close to an all around dog if you want to spend the money or the time to train it that way.

Many people are ignorant and well stupid when it comes to dogs. One of the best protection dogs is the American Pitbull terrier. They are obedient and will fight to the death to protect their pack and pack leader. This is why so many of them have been molested into fighting dogs. If you get a good pitty and are not a total douche nozzle train it right and socialize them right you will have a loyal dog that will love you forever. There is a reason they were called nanny dogs.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #34

Location: Washington...the state, not the District of Columbia
Liked 26 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 49

almost any from the terrier group is a good early warning. I've got a westie and he barks at anyone and everyone who doesn't live in my house. He can somehow be in a deep sleep, but as soon as a stranger comes near the property, he barks loudly and continuously.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:49 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 274 Times on 175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser
Having an alarm system for your home is most reassuring, but a good old fashioned growling, barking .... maybe biting dog? might be an edge a homeowner would want to buy enough time to either bug out or arm and defend.

What breeds and/or training do you think would be best and why?

Personally, I would want a well-mannered but protective dog that is quiet until someone knocks on the door. One big enough to make an intruder second guess their decision! I like Labrador Retrievers, but mine would just wag their tale to any stranger....I would not want a real aggressive dog that would pose a biting risk to neighborhood kids and the mailman either....maybe a German Shepard?
Akita. They were bred for it.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1868 Times on 815 Posts
Likes Given: 1414

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn-cindy View Post
The dogs are the least of my worries. She has a 300lb ram "curly" that keeps breaking out of his pen. He likes to sneak around behind me real quiet, then tries to smash me in half... But he likes RG, he will come to her when she calls, she can pet him, and lead him around with a rope. Or her rooster "renny" that likes to jump down off the front gutter, and try to claw me to death...
Being from down on the farm I know how you feel. When I was a kid my uncles early warning was a mix breed that weighed around 25lbs, a German Shepard that weighed around 60lbs and a pig that got to weighing around 500lbs. Not much more intimidating than to see the 2 dogs growling and snarling backed up by a 500lb pig. My uncle would run to the porch when you showed up because if he was standing on the porch they would leave you alone but if he wasn't the pig would let you enter and then grab you by the back of leg. I learned that the hard way.

Last edited by rockratt; 07-28-2013 at 02:45 AM.
People Like This 
Old 07-27-2013, 11:11 PM   #37

Liked 531 Times on 288 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigs-n-fixture

Akita. They were bred for it.
Have to be careful with Akitas. They tend to be pretty aggressive to those not in their "pack"

Old 07-27-2013, 11:14 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 331 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Great pyrenees? huge dog that's great with kids. Can be bonded with either people or animals and they'll defend to the death if need. Would be great for an outside dog

Old 07-27-2013, 11:18 PM   #39
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2492 Times on 1352 Posts
Likes Given: 717

A friend had a large German Shepard that would let anyone in the yard. Just would not let them out. He had a new meter reader stuck for around 6 hours. He did not think the dog was aggressive and ignored the sign. I think the other meter reader set him up.
Geese make good watch birds. They can be extremely aggressive though.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Last edited by JTJ; 07-27-2013 at 11:20 PM.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:37 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3728 Times on 2285 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ
Geese make good watch birds. They can be extremely aggressive though.
Lol. I've literally never heard of a watch bird. I believe you, it just sounds a bit ridiculous.

Always have clean socks.