Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Best Early Warning Dog Breeds?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 111 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Default Best Early Warning Dog Breeds?

Having an alarm system for your home is most reassuring, but a good old fashioned growling, barking .... maybe biting dog? might be an edge a homeowner would want to buy enough time to either bug out or arm and defend.

What breeds and/or training do you think would be best and why?

Personally, I would want a well-mannered but protective dog that is quiet until someone knocks on the door. One big enough to make an intruder second guess their decision! I like Labrador Retrievers, but mine would just wag their tale to any stranger....I would not want a real aggressive dog that would pose a biting risk to neighborhood kids and the mailman either....maybe a German Shepard?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2665 Times on 1551 Posts
Likes Given: 1182

I have a yorkie mixed that picks up when someone pulls in the driveway or walks by on the street.
She barks enough that the others chime in and have no idea what they are barking at.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-26-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

My mother's beagle alerts the neighborhood from inside the house everytime I stop by there. Hound-type dogs have good hearing, good sense of smell, and a VERY solid bark to alert you & the rest of the neighborhood.

Of course, my late grandmother had a basketball-sized (in all ways) Chihuahua that chased a burglar out of her hood apartment. Sposedly the guy dove out a window without opening it.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

People Like This 
Old 07-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

My attack beagle!

Old 07-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 700 Times on 513 Posts
Likes Given: 211

My Brittany did a fine job. Day or night. Trick is to not reprimand barking, and praise them for it when appropriate. Attack and biting never occurred.
I always new when the mail arrived. A smart breed.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 07-26-2013, 09:43 PM   #6

Liked 872 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 609

Pitbulls, Rotts and Chihuahua's are the best. All will bark at the slightest noise and alert you. All three will defend you if you have a good dog.

USMC 74-78

Old 07-26-2013, 09:51 PM   #7

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Both of my last two Labs have been great alarms. I don't think they would actually do much if someone got inside, but I don't need them for that.
The exception would be if someone was trying to hurt my kids, especially my current Lab. Those kids are his whole world.
A couple months ago, I had a guy snooping around my driveway late at night, turns out it was a drunk guy taking a piss, but Cooper let me know about it with plenty of time to grab a pistol and see what was going on.

''I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
J.B. Books

KG7IL Likes This 
Old 07-26-2013, 09:53 PM   #8
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7825 Times on 4516 Posts
Likes Given: 10072

I have two dogs. One is a Springer Spaniel, he is worthless as a watchdog because he is stone deaf. Not sure he would be any good with good hearing though. Just never showed any signs of it.

The other one is a Coonhound mix. She is formidable. Barks like Cerberus when anyone not in her "pack" approaches the house. The only people she accepts are my immediate family and the two Mexican families on the property, all of whom she has known since she was a pup. Since we are somewhat remote she has gotten very little socialization, and since she bit a bicyclist a few years back she has been even more isolated form others. She is very well loved within the family though, and just as protective of them as a dog can be.

I hear Coonhounds are typically this way.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:53 PM   #9

Liked 2353 Times on 1530 Posts

Any dog that is trained right, imo.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 07-26-2013, 09:54 PM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7825 Times on 4516 Posts
Likes Given: 10072

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1969 View Post
Both of my last two Labs have been great alarms. I don't think they would actually do much if someone got inside, but I don't need them for that.
The exception would be if someone was trying to hurt my kids, especially my current Lab. Those kids are his whole world.
A couple months ago, I had a guy snooping around my driveway late at night, turns out it was a drunk guy taking a piss, but Cooper let me know about it with plenty of time to grab a pistol and see what was going on.
Did you interrupt him mid-stream?

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.