Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Best Boots-Worst Boots (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/best-boots-worst-boots-23275/)

Benning Boy 02-11-2010 04:44 AM

Best Boots-Worst Boots

List the best and worst boots you've owned, and why.

DarinCraft 02-11-2010 05:52 AM

The best boots I ever owned were a pair of Rocky's in full leather 13 hole lace. I resoled them more times than I can remember, stripped and repolished only God knows how many times and they never showed wear on the leather. As time went on they only got more comfortable.

The worst was a pair of boots I bought to wear while my Rocky's were getting resoled. All I remember about them was "Magnum." They were part nylon and part cheap cheap thin leather. They were too wide, the soles weren't replaceable, they were slick in grass or anything wet and I couldn't shine the darn things even with Parade gloss. Hell I even tried Penny Shine and it wouldn't work.

I tried Danners a couple of times, but ended up selling them. They hurt my feet.

zhuk 02-11-2010 06:11 AM

SWAT. Most comfortable boots ever, I wear them everyday. Easy to get the heel re-soled too so they last a long time.

Look like this

http://www.taq.com.au/products/image...9SideZipST.jpg

...feel like these :D

http://www.swindonweb.com/shop/uploa...gg%20boots.jpg

spittinfire 02-11-2010 11:21 AM

Worst boots, some cheap pieces of crap I picked up at wally world in a pinch. I couldn't wear them more then 2 hours without having to get off my feet.

best was probably a pair of Wolverines. Wore them for 4 years almost daily before the sole wore thru.

cpttango30 02-11-2010 12:47 PM

worst cheap boots.

Best

Redwing's I have had 2 pairs of redwings and they took a ton of abuse in fact one pair is buried under some snow right now. My last pair had been soaked in grease, oil and diesel fuel, ground hog blood and many other disgusting things. They take it and keep on going.

I wore tons of different boots in the military and none of them ever were comfortable I had jump boots, jungle boots, issue boots, Matterhorn boots (quite possible the worst of any boot ever)

SigGambler 02-11-2010 01:02 PM

Worst - Had to be Texas Steer from K-Mart or K-Apart as I call it.

Best - Were a pair of Wolverines years ago when they were still made in the USA.

Lindenwood 02-11-2010 01:22 PM

Heh, the best and worst boots I've ever owned have all been from Walmart.

The best ones were a pair of lower-topped boots (just enough enough for decent ankle support). I wore them daily for about a year with very little wear (not bad for $23). I ran in them, I hiked in them, when offroading I used them to kick sticks under the tires when stuck, etc. They had a steel toe and were waterproof. I actually only wanted the waterproof feature because it really helps keep out the cold, and when riding a bike a lot it's annoying to get wet feet after splashing through a puddle. The steel toe was really unnecessary for what I did with them, and only served to add weight. The only reason I got rid of them was my feet shrunk (yeah, it sounds crazy I know, but I went from playing basketball in a size 11 in High School, to wearing a 7 to 7.5 now) and they started fitting too loosely.

I got my current boots to replace those for mostly outdoor use (higher boots to generally better protect my ankles and lower legs). They are high-topped "Swat-Style" boots (yeah, the box really said that, haha). I walked two miles in them and they had already almost rubbed blisters into the back of my heals. They are built reasonably well, but I think the problem is the shoe-laces. Everytime I try to pull them snug, the thin, hard, round laces allow the boot to slightly loosen up before I can grab the next lace rung.

I thought about trying to just replace the laces with flat ones for more friction, but I am tempted to get some more "daily appropriate" boots. I have been wearing tennis shoes for the most part, but I run around with my dog a lot and everytime I step into a small hole in the grass or off a curb wrong, and feel my ankle get a little close to twisting, I wish I had the ankle support I used to.

The other pair of boots I remember were had a long time ago, when I was maybe 10 years old. I wore them my first year of Motocross, going riding no less often than every two weeks (but often more than that), until I outgrew them and got some real riding boots. They never tore, my ankle never twisted, and they never hurt my feet. I think they were like $17, heh.

Missileman 02-11-2010 01:49 PM

Best boots were a pair of Browning insulated hunting boots--there were the most comfortable I've had. I ended up ruinging them on a hunt--it was so cold we built a big fire in camp and sat around it trying to get warm--I had my feet pointed at the fire and didn't notice that I was melting the soles of my boots--the rest of the hunt wasn't as comfortable!
The worst were all of the old leather combat boots I wore on active duty...

lonyaeger 02-11-2010 01:49 PM

Best - the pair I have now, Irish Setter, a division of RedWing. Feel like I'm wearing slippers - and only just over $100 at Cabela's.

Worst - a pair of RedWings.

Go figure.

gregs887 02-11-2010 02:26 PM

Worst- Some Sears crap I cant remember the name of. Always hurt my feet and started to come apart after a few weeks

Best- Wolverines. Hands down best boots I've ever owned. They never hurt my feet (I have wide flat Flinstone feet) have been to hell and back and keep coming back for more. Comfortable to hike in and strong enough to take on my Jeep (cheap ass harbor freight jackstand!) I cant say enough good things about them. If I ever manage to wear them out I will buy another pair for sure.