Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Best Actor Oscar - The Dude Abides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Default Best Actor Oscar - The Dude Abides

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-08-2010, 01:28 PM   #2

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Thank you, thank you very much.

Dude

d1.jpg  

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The dude definitely abides.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-08-2010, 02:24 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Far out._________ Whats that dude? ___________ Donnie STFU!

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 03-08-2010, 02:32 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Whoooo!

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 03-08-2010, 03:35 PM   #6

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Never any doubt, I'm sure it was a romp. I just can't help but see "Lebowski" every time I see him though....especially last night!

Old 03-08-2010, 04:10 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

How to know when you are having a really bad day:

1) Your name is Sandra Bullock and you win an Academy Award, but also win a Razzie in the same weekend for a body of work done at roughly the same time. How can you be the BEST and the WORST all at once???

2) Your name is James Cameron. You made one of the most expensive movies of all time ( over 450 million in production & marketing ), you earn more money than just about any movie in history ( $2,565,000.00 at last count and climbing ) and your ex wife beats you like a redheaded step child at the Oscars.

The Hurt Locker just absolutely annihilated Avatar this weekend. Good lord that was a beating the likes of GSP versus BJ Penn.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
How to know when you are having a really bad day:

1) Your name is Sandra Bullock and you win an Academy Award, but also win a Razzie in the same weekend for a body of work done at roughly the same time. How can you be the BEST and the WORST all at once???
A travesty that she won, IMO.....the Oscar, not the Razzie! Good Lordy is she hot, though.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:26 PM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I haven't seen the football movie she nominated for: The Blind Side or something like that. But, she has been in Hollywood for a long time without recognition and there was a LOT of buzz around her winning.

The thing with the Oscars is that they are not, hardly, ever awarded to the best performance. They are frequently awarded to Actors/Actresses that have been around awhile and haven't gotten their due.

Look into the Pulp Fiction, Samuel L. Jackson nomination and how Ed Wood's Martin Landau ended up winning. No way did Landau turn in the better performance, and no way was Ed Wood a better movie, but he won because of his age and his performance in relevence to his chances of ever winning another one.

Same thing happened this past year with What's his name from Big Love. He lost to Dexter because Dexter had cancer during the filming of the season and still put in a good performance. Everyone had Bill what's his name winning, but he lost to Cancer. How do you beat that??

The awards are all political and very rarely are they a walk away for the clear cut favorite.

Think about it. How long have they been doing this? 80 something years. And this year was the FIRST year a female director won. Really?

American Psycho was a hell of a good movie. But Traffic won the Best Director in 2000. Was Traffic THAT much better??

Old 03-08-2010, 06:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I haven't seen the football movie she nominated for: The Blind Side or something like that. But, she has been in Hollywood for a long time without recognition and there was a LOT of buzz around her winning.

The thing with the Oscars is that they are not, hardly, ever awarded to the best performance. They are frequently awarded to Actors/Actresses that have been around awhile and haven't gotten their due.

Look into the Pulp Fiction, Samuel L. Jackson nomination and how Ed Wood's Martin Landau ended up winning. No way did Landau turn in the better performance, and no way was Ed Wood a better movie, but he won because of his age and his performance in relevence to his chances of ever winning another one.

Same thing happened this past year with What's his name from Big Love. He lost to Dexter because Dexter had cancer during the filming of the season and still put in a good performance. Everyone had Bill what's his name winning, but he lost to Cancer. How do you beat that??

The awards are all political and very rarely are they a walk away for the clear cut favorite.

Think about it. How long have they been doing this? 80 something years. And this year was the FIRST year a female director won. Really?

American Psycho was a hell of a good movie. But Traffic won the Best Director in 2000. Was Traffic THAT much better??
Well, I have lots of responses to this:

I agree that a lot of those prizes are not given necessarily to the best performance, but in the case of Sammy Jackson vs. Martin Landau....Landau was primarily a TV actor, so you can't really say that he was passed over for Oscar a bunch of times. Also, I don't think the movie industry thought they OWED Landau anything like they did a Bob Hope or a John Wayne, etc.

Now, I love Pulp Fiction and Sammy as much as the next guy, but Martin Landau's turn in Ed Wood was fantastic....IMO!

Bill Paxton is great in Big Love....but so is Michael C. Hall in Dexter...so who knows if it was the sympathy vote or not. But I would say Hall can act every bit as well as Paxton.

Did a woman direct American Psycho? I don't know of that many female directors, but maybe Bigelow broke through because they WEREN'T very female directors so far. Only Penny Marshall comes to my mind. But in my opinion, Traffic WAS that much better, and Soderberg is one of the best directors going.....again, JD, this is my opinion. Wish I knew as much about firearms as I know about THIS crap!

Last edited by lonyaeger; 03-08-2010 at 06:55 PM.