beginner questions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > beginner questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2008, 03:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default beginner questions

Hello All,

I am very new to world of guns and general weaponary and would like to know what does "full lug barrel" mean. I recently purchased a S&W 22 revolver model 17, and have come across this description on line and can't figure out what it means. Please help.

Thanks much

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-03-2008, 04:19 PM   #2

A full lug barrel has the metal frame (or tube) that the ejection rod sits inside of extended all the way down the barrel to the end of the muzzle.

It's located underneath the barrel and makes that barrel heavier and consequently easier to point and aim. Here, a picture is worth a thousand words -

By the way, the S&W Model 17 (K frame, 'Combat Masterpiece') is one of my favorite pistols. I've had mine for more than 35 years; and, it's going to be one of the very last of my pistols to go. You made an excellent choice - One that you'll always be able to afford to shoot and practice with.

Last edited by G21.45; 08-03-2008 at 04:28 PM.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:27 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Welcome Kenda.

There's some good people here and we like to talk about firearms, so don't be afraid to ask questions.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-03-2008, 04:34 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

This revolver has a "Half Lug". Now you can see the difference between full and half.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams