Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   The Club House (
-   -   beginner questions (

Kenda A 08-03-2008 03:17 PM

beginner questions
Hello All,

I am very new to world of guns and general weaponary and would like to know what does "full lug barrel" mean. I recently purchased a S&W 22 revolver model 17, and have come across this description on line and can't figure out what it means. Please help.

Thanks much:)

G21.45 08-03-2008 04:19 PM

A full lug barrel has the metal frame (or tube) that the ejection rod sits inside of extended all the way down the barrel to the end of the muzzle.

It's located underneath the barrel and makes that barrel heavier and consequently easier to point and aim. Here, a picture is worth a thousand words -

By the way, the S&W Model 17 (K frame, 'Combat Masterpiece') is one of my favorite pistols. I've had mine for more than 35 years; and, it's going to be one of the very last of my pistols to go. You made an excellent choice - One that you'll always be able to afford to shoot and practice with.

CA357 08-03-2008 04:27 PM

Welcome Kenda. :)

There's some good people here and we like to talk about firearms, so don't be afraid to ask questions.

CA357 08-03-2008 04:34 PM

This revolver has a "Half Lug". Now you can see the difference between full and half. :cool:

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:15 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.