Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Beer observation in Germany/Belgium

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

My dad went to Germany for work a long time ago and he said that the beer there doesn't give you hangovers like American beer. Is that true?

Old 09-11-2013, 07:17 PM   #12

Liked 1038 Times on 613 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy View Post
My dad went to Germany for work a long time ago and he said that the beer there doesn't give you hangovers like American beer. Is that true?
No, it's not. There are many factors involved in hangovers, a or THE primary factor is quantity of alcohol consumed, one thing about european bars is they do not serve nearly as fast as American bars. This can result in more drinking over a longer period of time with less negative effects. It's not the beer it's the consumption rate.

The specific type of alcohol you drink can also contribute to a hangover, wine and beer are more likely to cause hangovers than vodka due to the impurities. Whiskey is also pretty high on the hangover list due to impurities, it's wood aged which extracts tanins and other aspects of the wood and all that effects potential hangovers. Bottom line though is quantity of alcohol is the main factor, drink more = larger hangover. Drinking plenty of water to prevent dehydration is probably the most important factor in shortening the impact of alcohol on your system

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 09-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #13

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Ahhh well maybe that explains it then. It was just an illusion of sorts since he wasn't drinking as much as fast. He was also a lot younger then.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

German beer is stronger. There is also a stronger dark German beer made in the fall (double bock). German beer normally comes in much larger single bottles. I have seen newbies crash and burn. Especially the troops stopping in Germany on the way home. Funny as hell. "Oh I can handle it...."
Oh, Belgian beer is stronger too. Sorry.

Last edited by Jagermeister; 09-11-2013 at 07:53 PM.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #15

Liked 156 Times on 93 Posts

I recommend DELERIUM Tremens. It's a non-major Belgian brew and should be somewhat easily found around those parts. If you like dark there's also DELERIUM Nocturnum. I was just all around that area (Germany/Belgium) 2 months go and bought it in many places; Mmmmmm!

My wife likes BitBurger /German

image-1051368164.jpg  

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved

Last edited by MoreAltitude; 09-12-2013 at 12:06 AM.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #16
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus

You should be able to find some great Belgian and Trappist beers that are impossible to find in America. Bring them back if you dont like belgian style beer, they are gold to beer collectors in the US.
^^^^^THIS^^^^^
Trappist. Nectar of the Gods in my book.

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

Old 09-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #17
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2655 Times on 1548 Posts
Likes Given: 1178

Bitburger Pils has many different glasses.

At the time, it took 7 mins to properly pour a Bitburger.

I found that with the smaller glasses, the beer had a better taste.
Our favorite place understood that when we had the glasses 1/2 empty, that the bartender would start pouring another round.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #18
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5658 Times on 2800 Posts
Likes Given: 6022

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadecorp View Post
AHHH German bier.
I loved
Ya ya, Iche Lieben Hauff Hefewiessen Bier! Das ist ser gut!

http://www.hauff-braeu.de/flashseite.html

It was my favorite!

Old 09-11-2013, 09:32 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Here is the brewery in my town. Notice it ask if you are 16. That is the legal drinking age.
http://translate.google.de/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.bischoff-bier.de/&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dbischoff%26client%3Dsafari%26hl%3Den

Old 09-11-2013, 09:42 PM   #20

Liked 1120 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Well, I noticed the Leffe beer in their glass would have a stream of bubbles only rising from the area in teh center of the bottom of the glass where the pedestal was. This seemed to cotrol the amount of head on the beer.

Konig Ludwig Dunkel was served in a large mug and had a thicker head, which seemed to add a creamy hint to the beer that the bottled version just did not seem to have. I had it on tap, and also out of a bottle in the mug, as well as directly from the bottle as a sort of test.

We've been digging at a bomber crash site just inside the Belgian border near Prum, Germany, but make a trip to "The Old Smuggler" store about a Km down the road for some groceries. There is an old border marking post on the corner of the road right by the shop, that marks the Belgium and German border. Some old anti-tank dragons teeth are also near by from the old Sigfried Line.

The dirt we've been digging is some pretty tough stuff. It resembles Arkansas Red clay, with large chunks of shale and slate in it. It is hard like brick when it's dry, and slippery, sticky and thick when it's wet. Digging with shovels, and pick axes, then moving dirt by the bucket, and then putting all of the dirt through screens by hand, has indeed been a task. We have recovered some human bone and teeth however, and hopefully we can identify some of the crew to put their missing status to rest after almost 70 years.

The nature of the soil really gives me an appreciation for the foot soldiers who had to dig in to fox holes and fighting positions in this crap. I can only imagine how much tougher it was in the winter.
Next time look at the bottom of the glass see if its etched some where , for some reason thats where the bubbles are produced . I noticed it recently with a beer here that was served in that companies glass and the center was etched and it bubbled like mad just from that etched area

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens