Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Beer observation in Germany/Belgium

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1976 Times on 1174 Posts
Likes Given: 424

Default Beer observation in Germany/Belgium

I've been here for about a month and a half now and noticed that if I order a beer with my dinner it comes in a glass with the company name on it. These can range from mugs to a pedistal style glass. That is not the whole observation. What began to dawn on me is that the glass that each diffeerent beer is served in actually seems to have an effect on the taste, as opposed to drinking the beer out of the bottle.

A Leffe Blonde or Brune actually tastes better out of a Leffe glass than drinking out of the bottle. Also, they are nice enough to put recommended serving temps on the label, which aslo makes a difference.

Just some beer snobbery to pass along if you get a chance to sampel some european beers.

The cheap, Jupiter beer is fine out of a can and is a close match for Rainier as far as a inexpensive after work thirst quincher goes.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Hope you are enjoying your time over here. I have lots of relatives in Belgium. Near Kleine Brogel base. The beer is almost as good as German beer. The type of material does change the taste of beer and wine. Prost!

Old 09-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #3

Well, I noticed the Leffe beer in their glass would have a stream of bubbles only rising from the area in teh center of the bottom of the glass where the pedestal was. This seemed to cotrol the amount of head on the beer.

Konig Ludwig Dunkel was served in a large mug and had a thicker head, which seemed to add a creamy hint to the beer that the bottled version just did not seem to have. I had it on tap, and also out of a bottle in the mug, as well as directly from the bottle as a sort of test.

We've been digging at a bomber crash site just inside the Belgian border near Prum, Germany, but make a trip to "The Old Smuggler" store about a Km down the road for some groceries. There is an old border marking post on the corner of the road right by the shop, that marks the Belgium and German border. Some old anti-tank dragons teeth are also near by from the old Sigfried Line.

The dirt we've been digging is some pretty tough stuff. It resembles Arkansas Red clay, with large chunks of shale and slate in it. It is hard like brick when it's dry, and slippery, sticky and thick when it's wet. Digging with shovels, and pick axes, then moving dirt by the bucket, and then putting all of the dirt through screens by hand, has indeed been a task. We have recovered some human bone and teeth however, and hopefully we can identify some of the crew to put their missing status to rest after almost 70 years.

The nature of the soil really gives me an appreciation for the foot soldiers who had to dig in to fox holes and fighting positions in this crap. I can only imagine how much tougher it was in the winter.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Nothing wrong with some beer "snobbery" while in that part of Europe. I spent 2 years in Germany while in the Army and I enjoyed every minute of it, especially the beer.

Have fun and enjoy your experience. One note though......you'll NOT look at American beer, or its taste, the same ever again.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmuckatello View Post
Nothing wrong with some beer "snobbery" while in that part of Europe. I spent 2 years in Germany while in the Army and I enjoyed every minute of it, especially the beer.

Have fun and enjoy your experience. One note though......you'll NOT look at American beer, or its taste, the same ever again.
I'm only here for another couple of weeks. We only get a day-and-a-half off every eight and a half days to stay on dig schedule. I did manage to get to Trier, and to Bernkastel-Kues for the end of Weinfest. I'm not normally much of a beer drinker. At home though I usually stick to micro-brews, because of my rare drinking habits. If I only am going to have a couple of beers in a month I figure they should be good beers.

I do like a quality wine, and quality scotch. Again in pretty extreme moderation.

Found some nice wines to take home. Mostly from the Mosel region, but I think I picked up a Rhine Region wine as well. My problem is that I prefer red wines, and Reisling seems to be the specialty here. Didn't particularly like the German versions of Pinot Noir grape based wines (Spatburgunder), but did find an award winning Dornfelder to take home as well as a couple Kabinet Reislings of a drier variety that seem pretty ballanced and just dry enough for my taste. I found Eisweine to be interesting, but a bit sweet for my taste. I do appreciate the select nature of that particular variety of wine, but again just not to my taste.

So in the few free days I've had, I have tried to cram in some culture, otherwise all I would remember of Germany and Belgium would be some really tough dirt.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #6

Liked 1038 Times on 613 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post

I'm only here for another couple of weeks. We only get a day-and-a-half off every eight and a half days to stay on dig schedule. I did manage to get to Trier, and to Bernkastel-Kues for the end of Weinfest. I'm not normally much of a beer drinker. At home though I usually stick to micro-brews, because of my rare drinking habits. If I only am going to have a couple of beers in a month I figure they should be good beers.

I do like a quality wine, and quality scotch. Again in pretty extreme moderation.

Found some nice wines to take home. Mostly from the Mosel region, but I think I picked up a Rhine Region wine as well. My problem is that I prefer red wines, and Reisling seems to be the specialty here. Didn't particularly like the German versions of Pinot Noir grape based wines (Spatburgunder), but did find an award winning Dornfelder to take home as well as a couple Kabinet Reislings of a drier variety that seem pretty ballanced and just dry enough for my taste. I found Eisweine to be interesting, but a bit sweet for my taste. I do appreciate the select nature of that particular variety of wine, but again just not to my taste.

So in the few free days I've had, I have tried to cram in some culture, otherwise all I would remember of Germany and Belgium would be some really tough dirt.
You should be able to find some great Belgian and Trappist beers that are impossible to find in America. Bring them back if you dont like belgian style beer, they are gold to beer collectors in the US.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 09-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
You should be able to find some great Belgian and Trappist beers that are impossible to find in America. Bring them back if you dont like belgian style beer, they are gold to beer collectors in the US.
I bought a sampler of Trappist beers. They were pretty good. Liked Orval, and Westmalle Tripel the best. Not impressed with Chimay, but I didn't try it from a Chimay glass to be fair.

The beer I'm bringing home is basically a micro-brew from an old monestary brewery that has ben turned into a microbrewwery, and restaurant, where we ate dinner one night. Klosterbrauerei Machern, Dunkel is the beer I chose. A nice mellow dark (really a deep amber). Only a 5.2% alchohol content, but very full, smooth taste.

You're probably right though about finding anything similar back home.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #8

Liked 1038 Times on 613 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
I bought a sampler of Trappist beers. They were pretty good. Liked Orval, and Westmalle Tripel the best. Not impressed with Chimay, but I didn't try it from a Chimay glass to be fair.

The beer I'm bringing home is basically a micro-brew from an old monestary brewery that has ben turned into a microbrewwery, and restaurant, where we ate dinner one night. Klosterbrauerei Machern, Dunkel is the beer I chose. A nice mellow dark (really a deep amber). Only a 5.2% alchohol content, but very full, smooth taste.

You're probably right though about finding anything similar back home.
Check places like Beeradvoacte or homebrewtalk, you can find people willing to trade other hard to find beers for what you bring from Belgium. It's surprising how popular the trading of rare beer has become.

Coming through Baltimore on your way home? I can recommend some awesome brewpubs and local places.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 09-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
Check places like Beeradvoacte or homebrewtalk, you can find people willing to trade other hard to find beers for what you bring from Belgium. It's surprising how popular the trading of rare beer has become.

Coming through Baltimore on your way home? I can recommend some awesome brewpubs and local places.
Don't know our route back yet. On the way here it was through, Elmendorf, Alaska. JPAC is based in Hawaii so, going closer to over the pole was the shortest distance. Wouldn't matter much, the stopps are usually just long enough to refuel, or pick up or drop off cargo.

I was doing training near DC back in January, and visited one of our hospital ships, in Baltimore while I was there.

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 09-11-2013 at 04:39 PM.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 521 Times on 291 Posts
Likes Given: 2293

AHHH German bier.
I loved
parkbrau.jpg