Been Gone for awhile..................
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Been Gone for awhile..................

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 02:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Been Gone for awhile..................

Just a note to let everyone know I've been away for awhile. Got a note on my email to drop in and give an update, so here I am.

Some months back, I was feeling just fine. Did some painting in the house, cut the grass, cleaned a few of my firearms and in general had a nice day. Had a nice dinner. My wife of 34 years is from Burma (raised in England) and if you're familiar with Thai food, and like it (nice and spicey hot), you'll understaand what I mean by having a nice dinner.

Went to bed and woke up the next morning ready to get some 'honey do's' done. That's when the pain hit me in both hands, went up my arms into the soft tissue, all the way to my shoulder. Couldn't even open the toothpaste tube.

Went to the sawbones, had an xray and was referred to a hand surgeon. More xrays showed a total lack of cartilage at the base of each thumb by the wrist and internal scar tissue damage along with misalignment of my wrist bones. Just bone on bone and wear and tear damaged the nerves extensively. The surprise was yet to come. The doc said the damage appeared to start when I broke my wrists............HUH??? Didn't have a clue. There is also extensive calcium build up where the bones had knitted some time ago but were misaligned, causing the domino effect and consequent near inability to shoot anything but my smallest caliber pistols and that not very often until after my soon to be surgery.

Thing is, I never recall having both bones in each wrist broken. The only thing I remember doing to my hands was a fall while in Staging Battalion back in 1969 at Camp Pendelton in California. You Marines who went 'in country' will remember 'Staging Battalion. My wrists were sore (hurt like hell), but an ace bandage seemed to take care of both of them. As for not feeling much pain, I also didn't know I had acute appendicitis back in 1981 and THAT one almost killed me.

Anyway, that's where I've been. Pretty non-productive for awhile and I'm sure my Love will be glad when I can get back to the 'Honey Do' list.

Semper Fidelis.................

For what's more honourable than scarrs, on skin to tatters rent in warrs?
Samuel Butler, HUDIBRAS 1658

When he goughed out me eye, I saw he was no gent. So I ups and broke 'is arm.
15th Centuary wrestler

Why saber?? 'Cause you don't take heads with the point................

Last edited by Wheeler; 10-26-2012 at 02:04 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-26-2012, 02:15 AM   #2

Liked 4701 Times on 2344 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Every Marine I know has some pain, goes to the doctor, and finds out that they broke something in the past but never realized it. Too funny, you guys really are tough.
Get better, welcome back, and I want to thank you for your service, it IS appreciated.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:20 AM   #3

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Welcome back man.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:35 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22308 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

welcome back Wheeler and get to feeling better! you got them honey do's to do!

Old 10-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #5
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8220 Times on 4234 Posts
Likes Given: 9466

Damn, at least in the army they gave us a bag of Motrin to ease the pain! So sorry to hear that Wheeler, that truly sucks. first question, did you go on sick call? Hope so and hope its in your records, if so, make the military pay for the repairs!

Old 10-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
Damn, at least in the army they gave us a bag of Motrin to ease the pain! So sorry to hear that Wheeler, that truly sucks. first question, did you go on sick call? Hope so and hope its in your records, if so, make the military pay for the repairs!
Unfortunately, I'm already on Ibuprophen 800 mg, three times a day, courtesy of a broken back (three places), fractured skull, near loss of my right leg, shrapnel in the same leg, and a few other 'trophies' I picked up along the way, on top of the hand issue.

And here I used to just LOVE playing in the mud like a little kid and getting paid for it....................

Would I do it all over again?? Absolutely. I was honored to have had the privilege

For what's more honourable than scarrs, on skin to tatters rent in warrs?
Samuel Butler, HUDIBRAS 1658

When he goughed out me eye, I saw he was no gent. So I ups and broke 'is arm.
15th Centuary wrestler

Why saber?? 'Cause you don't take heads with the point................
axxe55 Likes This