Been 3 days since last cigarette - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Been 3 days since last cigarette

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2011, 06:51 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Congrats!
I quit over 10 years ago, Never looked back, I did it when we had our first on the way.
Best of luck

Old 05-31-2011, 06:56 PM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I didn't have an issue with caffeine, but I absolutely live off coffee. It, food, and shooting are the only vices I have left.

Tango is absolutely right about the cravings. Cravings do pass. Don't think about not smoking for the rest of your life, think about not smoking for the next 5 min. If that doesn't work, think about not smoking for the next 2 min. Repeat that a few times and before you know it you will have forgotten you wanted a cigarette. REALLY IT WORKS!

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 05-31-2011, 06:56 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Has anybody figured up the dollars saved by quitting ciggies lately? It must be HUGE on a monthly basis by now. If they were $4 a pack (cheapies) & 1 pack per day; that would be about $120 per month. That would pay my car insurance or buy enough ammo for a few trips to the range or cover my gasoline for the month. Almost $1500/year would buy a couple of nice pistols or a really nice rifle.

Any of you recent quitters got any examples, other than not croaking or smelling like moldy ass?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:59 PM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Marb reds = $6/per day = $180 per month = a new Springfied 1911 every 4.4 months

Or a Nighthawk every...oh hell nothings worth that

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 05-31-2011, 07:25 PM   #15

Liked 313 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Commit is what helped me. Nicorette Stop Smoking Gum | Quit Smoking Aid To Help Make Smoking Cessation Permanent

Another thing I found was this. I tried to quite 3 times before I did. Why didn't I quite the first 3 times? Because I didn't want to. Then I landed a job in a school and figured if I can't smoke for 8 hours a day why do I need to smoke before or after? If you feel the urge to smoke go do something where you wouldn't have smoked like loading or cleaning guns (At least I hope you didn't smoke during your reloading or gun cleaning).

I have a high school buddy. Well we have been friend since grade school. His dad smoked until the day he died. He died with a cigarette in his mouth because he fell asleep with it in his mouth and it burned a hole in his O2 tube then caught his face on fire which caught the bed on fire he ended up with 3rd degree burns on 85% of his body, lung cancer, chronic bronchitis and emphysema. Not my idea of a good way to go out you may differ.

Just think after you quite smoking your sex life will get better as well. Smoking causes your winky to shrink and it can cause you to blast off before the countdown reaches zero.

Good luck and I wish you the best. Let us know how it goes.

Also STOP drinking anything with caffeine in it as that can trigger you to want to smoke.
Had a great uncle who fought forest fires for near 40 years. He joined the forestry department in 1945 just after the war and retired in 1983. He was diagnosed with emphysema at 76 Y.O. He smoked cigs also. The doc told him that the lung damage he had was caused more by the many years of exposrue to smoke from the forest fires. He never quit smoking after he retired and strange thing was is that he lived to be 97 Y.O. before passing away from a health issue unrelated to emphysema or smoking.

Yeah I know about the caffeine thing. You see, I'm really stupid as I have quit 3 times before in my life for up to 1-1/2 years or so each time I quit. Each time was "cold turkey" just like now. It was always a new woman who smoked and going to bars with them where smoking is allowed. Got me hooked over again every time.

I've been lucky in the sex department. Still works like an 18 Y.O. at 55. Have yet to need to use the blue pills. However, the blue pill thing, given some more years, is more than likely going to happen weather I smoke or not.

Quitting because I'm just sick and tired of it. Hope this time it lasts for more than a year and a half. Always hated smoking but was hooked on the Nicotien. Have wished I never had started smoking for over 10 years now.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:44 PM   #16
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

I am smoke free for almost a year. I quit cold turkey. I used sunflower seeds. Worked wonderful, kept all the moter functions of smoking, just had to quit sunflower seeds.
It also helped curb the appetite, since eating all the seeds. Kept the weight stable.
Keep it up you can do it, wait until you get your sense of smell back and realize what you smelled like and how food really taste.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:00 PM   #17

Liked 313 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
I am smoke free for almost a year. I quit cold turkey. I used sunflower seeds. Worked wonderful, kept all the moter functions of smoking, just had to quit sunflower seeds.
It also helped curb the appetite, since eating all the seeds. Kept the weight stable.
Keep it up you can do it, wait until you get your sense of smell back and realize what you smelled like and how food really taste.
You know, the times I had quit before, the smell of a smoker or an ash tray was more offensive than before I smoked.

I eat alot of smoked almonds and am eating them more now. Also got me some carrots and celery to munch on. That hard candy thing doesn't work for me because I hate anything that even tastes slightly sweet. Sugars as well as artificial sweeteners have always been banned in my world.

Thank god that I quit smoking in the house in 1995. I've owned 2 houses since then and didn't smoke in either. If I did smoke in the house I'd have to throw everything out that was fabric, re-paint after cleaning the nicotien off the walls with TSP, and probably re-carpet if I had carpets.

Last edited by mrm14; 05-31-2011 at 08:04 PM.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:09 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I know how you feel it seems everytime i try to quit smoking i end up smoking more.I hate when people oh i quit cold turkey and didnt have any problems. I just roll eyes think my aching ass and light up another one. I will quit i dont know how but sooner or later i will get it.

Posted by cddbrowns
All you young whipper snappers and your new fangled doo dads have no clue what real construction is.......GET OFF MY LAWN!

“The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory.”
Jeff Cooper

Old 05-31-2011, 08:11 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I tried chewing on straw's, sunflower seeds, lolipops. and the electric ciggeret

Posted by cddbrowns
All you young whipper snappers and your new fangled doo dads have no clue what real construction is.......GET OFF MY LAWN!

“The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory.”
Jeff Cooper

Old 06-01-2011, 12:38 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1232 Times on 604 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I quit a long time ago when smokes were about a half a buck a pack. I don't know how anyone does it now at $5 to 7 a pack in Florida. When I quit I was able to do it cold turkey. Everytime I got an urge to smoke I stopped what I was doing and did something else. I probably had the urge for five years, but eventually it lessens and goes away.

Good luck. The urges do get easier to ignore, and reasonably quickly.