Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Beekeeping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 02:52 AM   #51
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7401 Times on 4276 Posts
Likes Given: 9516

Quote:
Originally Posted by towboater View Post
A guy that lives nearby says he will help me get started. Maybe I should give him a call tomorrow.
Good idea. When bees start swarming he will be too busy to help you get your stuff together.

There are a couple of beekeeping supply outfits in KY, but you need to know what to get before you go in.

I found this place in Clarkson https://kelleybees.com/

And Dadant in Frankfort- http://www.dadant.com/

I have used Dadant before, they have been around for over 100 years, one of the premier books on beekeeping is Dadant's "First Lessons in Beekeeping" that has been updated by Kieth Delaplane- it is a great book. I recommend reading at least one book on the subject before getting your bees and this is a good one. http://www.dadant.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=32_58&products_id=932

I don't think there are a lot of books out there on top-bar hive beekeeping, most all of the major beekeeping suppliers use the Langstroth. You can build your own top-bar hive with minimal tools and a small amount of skill. I have seen kits for around $100, but quite honestly my Dad built mine for much less and he was a freaking nut case about the details, so he went all-out on the materials, using 5/8" marine plywood for the main pieces. A piece of that was the most expensive part. But if you are up for building one it is a fun project. Dad loved building them for me, he liked telling everybody about it too.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:59 AM   #52
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1633 Times on 855 Posts
Likes Given: 3379

Thanks. for the links. I'll keep ya updated on how it goes.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:11 AM   #53

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
LOL! I will have to add that to my resume for my voice work! I have it described as a deep baritone/bass, etc., Have to make that a "sexy baritone/bass"!

(I wish more women told me that!)
Women, hell, I was gonna say the same thing! LOL Seriously, I thought "that guy has a good voice for unassuming, Peoria, voiceovers."

Now, when I get hives there are no bees nor honey!

Last edited by MattShlock; 04-01-2013 at 03:15 AM.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:18 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattShlock View Post
for unassuming, Peoria, voiceovers."
I missed that reference.....

Quote:
Now, when I get hives there are no bees nor honey!
LOL! I will take the bees and the honey too!

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."

Old 04-01-2013, 03:29 AM   #55

Liked 812 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
I missed that reference.....

LOL! I will take the bees and the honey too!
He is saying that although you wouldn't excite anyone but Wind-of-Change you'd be good and non-offensive to the everyman (or woman) in middle-America. As in "but will it play in Peoria?" For the longest time in the marketing world Peoria, Il, was a significant community that proportionately reflected the demographics of the entire nation and it was very convenient to test new products and advertising there.

Last edited by HockaLouis; 04-01-2013 at 03:37 AM.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:44 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
He is saying that although you wouldn't excite anyone but Wind-of-Change you'd be good and non-offensive to the everyman (or woman) in middle-America. As in "but will it play in Peoria?" For the longest time in the marketing world Peoria, Il, was a significant community that proportionately reflected the demographics of the entire nation and it was very convenient to test new products and advertising there.
Ah! OK, I'm familiar with the Peoria remark now that you remind me.

Little bummed that Winds is the only one that would be excited by my voice though...... no offense to Winds intended.

Quote:

Old 04-01-2013, 04:17 AM   #57

I've been looking over videos on beekeeping and have found a few that I thought were worthwhile. This first one is not so much what he does right, but what he does wrong. I am not sure what this "birdhouse" thing he is taking about is all about, but I will say there are a couple of things wrong with his design. First of all it is too tall, the combs will not support themselves if they are hung entirely from the top bars, making them more easily removed for inspections. I made mine 12" deep. A comb that tall should be self-supporting without being attached to the sides. On the other hand though you can make it wider, instead of taller. They don't care how wide the combs are really, though I think anything over about two feet would probably be a bit too wide. They would leave transit holes in the combs if they want them, but I can't say I have seen combs wider than about 2 feet.

Another thing is his sides are not built to the correct angles. A top-bar hive should look like one half of a hexagon, with the angles between the sides and floor at about 60 degrees (or one sixth of 360 degrees) to each other. A hexagon being the shape of a honeycomb cell. The bees will build their comb entirely supported off of the top bar, leaving the sides and bottom unattached so they can walk around the combs to work. If you build the sides at any other angles, or if the hive is too deep (space from the top bars to the floor) they will attach their combs to the sides for support.

Lastly I would say that the entrance should be perpendicular to the combs. I have seen several times where the bees will build their combs perpendicular to their entrance, even when there are frames in place to encourage them to do otherwise. I am not sure if this is just an observation of something that is not always so, but I do it my way just in case.

He is also a dumbass for using that noisy electric drill as he does. He deserves to get stung. If it is absolutely necessary to do something like that, use hand tools and work very slowly, also smoke them so they will be more docile. Too much noise and vibration will cause them to do what they did. You can see when they start getting agitated the guard bees start spilling out of the entrance hole at the bottom of the side facing the camera. They are pissed off at this point. He should have cut the hole and left them for awhile before attempting to put the blocking board and other top bars back in. They probably would have let him do this without attacking if he had just waited until all of those bees that were spilling out of the entrance had gone back inside.

Here is the video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GKPRKjujzQ

Quote:

Old 04-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #58
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1908 Times on 1043 Posts
Likes Given: 699

Quote:
I've been looking over videos on beekeeping and have found a few that I thought were worthwhile. This first one is not so much what he does right, but what he does wrong. I am not sure what this "birdhouse" thing he is taking about is all about, but I will say there are a couple of things wrong with his design. First of all it is too tall, the combs will not support themselves if they are hung entirely from the top bars, making them more easily removed for inspections. I made mine 12" deep. A comb that tall should be self-supporting without being attached to the sides. On the other hand though you can make it wider, instead of taller. They don't care how wide the combs are really, though I think anything over about two feet would probably be a bit too wide. They would leave transit holes in the combs if they want them, but I can't say I have seen combs wider than about 2 feet.

Another thing is his sides are not built to the correct angles. A top-bar hive should look like one half of a hexagon, with the angles between the sides and floor at about 60 degrees (or one sixth of 360 degrees) to each other. A hexagon being the shape of a honeycomb cell. The bees will build their comb entirely supported off of the top bar, leaving the sides and bottom unattached so they can walk around the combs to work. If you build the sides at any other angles, or if the hive is too deep (space from the top bars to the floor) they will attach their combs to the sides for support.

Lastly I would say that the entrance should be perpendicular to the combs. I have seen several times where the bees will build their combs perpendicular to their entrance, even when there are frames in place to encourage them to do otherwise. I am not sure if this is just an observation of something that is not always so, but I do it my way just in case.

He is also a dumbass for using that noisy electric drill as he does. He deserves to get stung. If it is absolutely necessary to do something like that, use hand tools and work very slowly, also smoke them so they will be more docile. Too much noise and vibration will cause them to do what they did. You can see when they start getting agitated the guard bees start spilling out of the entrance hole at the bottom of the side facing the camera. They are pissed off at this point. He should have cut the hole and left them for awhile before attempting to put the blocking board and other top bars back in. They probably would have let him do this without attacking if he had just waited until all of those bees that were spilling out of the entrance had gone back inside.

Here is the video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GKPRKjujzQ
I would guess he's one of those guys that thinks smoke is for wusses, teaches their kids to beat up other kids, and likes to watch his dog going to town on someone's leg.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 04-02-2013, 01:34 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
I would guess he's one of those guys that thinks smoke is for wusses, teaches their kids to beat up other kids, and likes to watch his dog going to town on someone's leg.
That tough guy BS will only get you stung when working with bees. Well, that and stupid.

Quote: