Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Beekeeping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 02:01 AM   #31
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8057 Times on 4651 Posts
Likes Given: 10403

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Doesn't the USDA or the state regulate that?
They have inspected hives coming in from overseas, but they have no idea what they are doing. We have seen varroa mites, small hive beetles, tracheal mites and now a recently discovered fly that lays its eggs in the bodies of bees and the larva hatch out and start eating them from the inside. They call it the "zombie bees" disease. All of these have slipped right on by the inspectors because, like everything else, they both do not recognize a bad thing when they see it and they only inspect 1 hive in every 1000.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:06 AM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
...Have you ever had bear damage to one of your hives?
That's funny right there!!!

I wouldn't really kill them if I didn't have to but they would not have been welcome where they seemed to be. Just got rid of colonies of wood-boring bees. It was cool the way they had regularly stationed Air Patrols over their nests which would be relieved by the next flight like clockwork. Sayonara!

Last edited by MattShlock; 03-31-2013 at 02:12 AM.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:06 AM   #33
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6962 Times on 4188 Posts
Likes Given: 8380

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Have you ever had bear damage to one of your hives?
Only you, 'Gello, only you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I no longer feed my bees, but yes, when a Beek feeds it is sugar syrup, sometimes with some supplements or medicines in it (lemongrass and wintergreen essential oils are the only additives I use in my hives on the rare occasions where I will feed, and I will use cane sugar or if I have some surplus honey I prefer that).
I used to keep humingbird feeders and you should feed them only cane sugar, too. Never beet sugar. I only use cane sugar in my home, too.

I want bee venom therapy for my arthritis.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:26 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Only you, 'Gello, only you.
Bears are a serious problem for beekeepers in some areas. 'Gello would love some of the methods used to deter them.

Quote:
I used to keep humingbird feeders and you should feed them only cane sugar, too. Never beet sugar. I only use cane sugar in my home, too.
Be careful not to make their syrup too sweet. if they are going to your feeders instead of foraging on flowers they don't get enough good nutrition. Sort of like if you went to the bar for three meals a day instead of just the one meal.

Quote:
I want bee venom therapy for my arthritis.
I still haven't found anybody around here that practices it. But I am still looking. It does work wonders though!

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
orangello Likes This 
Old 03-31-2013, 02:26 AM   #35

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
We had a swarm that took up housekeeping in my back yard in Colorado. We found a beek (Mr. Moon) who came out with a cardboard box, held it under the tree branch, whacked the branch gently with his cane, and they fell into the box- closed the top, put it in his car (and gave us a qt of honey to say thanx for the bees!)

There were about 100 or so that were orphaned- they stayed on the tree, tried a little comb making, and we had a TREMENDOUS garden that year! Mowed grass within 3 ft of them with no trouble.

BTW, kill all the honeybees, you starve. Honeybees (aided by bumblebees) do the majority of all non-wind borne plant pollination. Used to know commercial fruit orchards that HIRED beeks to set up hives to see that the apple trees got pollinated.
We set ours about 15 ft from an alfalfa field (I know their range is measured in miles) but that was the best the alfalfa has ever looked... Now just need to tell that to the deer...

Old 03-31-2013, 02:35 AM   #36

Here is another video from the other day that I finally got uploaded. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uZzMF7KBWg

Quote:

Old 03-31-2013, 02:43 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattShlock View Post
That's funny right there!!!

I wouldn't really kill them if I didn't have to but they would not have been welcome where they seemed to be. Just got rid of colonies of wood-boring bees. It was cool the way they had regularly stationed Air Patrols over their nests which would be relieved by the next flight like clockwork. Sayonara!
Carpenter bees are beneficial too, though the tunnels they bore into structures can be a nuisance. I have never heard of them causing enough damage so as to compromise a structure though, but God knows they are giving it a good try in one of my barns!

Native bees like the Carpenters (there are thousands of native bees here) are actually better pollinators than the introduced honey bees that beekeepers keep.

Quote:

Old 03-31-2013, 06:11 AM   #38
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6962 Times on 4188 Posts
Likes Given: 8380

Why do they do that fanning?

You have an incredibly sexy voice.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:26 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1786 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1523

Quote:

They do it to circulate the air andkeep the hive cooled down, if I recall correctly.

Yeah that was a great video.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 03-31-2013, 04:41 PM   #40

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFlynt View Post
They do it to circulate the air andkeep the hive cooled down, if I recall correctly.

Yeah that was a great video.
Actually there are many reasons they will "fan", in this case what I was looking for and trying to describe was "queen fanning". The difference to the observer is that distinctive tail-in-the-air posture, and if you are paying particularly close attention the direction they are pointing. Queen fanning is done in order to circulate pheromones so that the rest of the swarm can locate where the queen is. In the one video of the bunch that fell onto the roof of the truck I am trying see if any of them are "queen fanning", but I only found one doing so- the one I was trying to focus in on. She stopped. Had the queen fallen down there she would have quickly been joined by dozens or hundreds more doing the same thing.

When they are fanning to cool the hive down they are in a relaxed posture and just madly fanning their wings with their tails pointed into the hive, pushing air inside. If there are and vents open at the top there will be more bees up there, but they will be facing into the hive and directing the airflow outwards.

Quote:
LOL! I will have to add that to my resume for my voice work! I have it described as a deep baritone/bass, etc., Have to make that a "sexy baritone/bass"!

(I wish more women told me that!)

Quote: