Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Beef Jerky with a dehydrator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2009, 07:04 AM   #1
WDB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Beef Jerky with a dehydrator

I bought a dehydarator for many reasons but have to admit it was to make beef jerky. I dried veggies and fruits with out an issues and enjoyed them. Still haven't found a decent beef jerky method on the web. At best I'm making A+ dog treats

Anyone with some experience

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-13-2009, 11:17 AM   #2

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Get a box fan and 4 or 5 a/c filters (NONfiberglass) and 4 bungee cords.

1. make your jerky
2. lay your jerky strips wet in the pleats of the filters and then stack the filter on top of the box fan. making sure the outer most filter is free form jerky strips.
3. attach with bungee cords and turn fan on med. set on saw horses
4. let sit for 4 or 5 days or longer.
5. remove and enjoy tasty tender jerky.

the dehydrators make the worst dried the hell out jerky because they use heat. You don't want heat you want air lots of air flow and that air needs to be cool........

Seen alton brown do it this wan on the food network it cam out really good.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:21 AM   #3

I use my dehydrator for peppers and onions and such, but never had much luck with drying meat. A buddy of mine uses a smoker to make his deer jerky and it turns out fantastic! He uses a garlic and pepper marinade he gets from Gander Mountain. I'll have my own smoker by the time rifle season gets here.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:47 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I use the oven set on about 150 degrees with the door cracked,I hang the jerky off the rack with toothpicks,you have to make sure you do not over dry it or it will just suck all the moisture out of your mouth and be inedible,for a marinade I just use Italian dressing,hot sauce and what ever I can find in the cabinet and let it soak for a day or so. On deer meat you have to get the membrane off the outside of the meat or it turns into chewing gum.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:30 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

don't make beef jerky but me and dad make deer jerky.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:47 PM   #6

I have not had much luck on the dehydrator yet. I'm not sure if it is the seasoning I'm using or what. I tried the seasonings that you can find in Bass Pro Shop, and other such stores.

That being said, I've made some great jerky on the smoker. I used my own recipes, or some store bought marinaides.

Maybe after I'm done playing around with leathers on the dehydrator I'll try some jerky again.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsmeShane View Post
don't make beef jerky but me and dad make deer jerky.
Yeah same here. Tastes good and healthier for you.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:48 PM   #8

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

"Big Chief" smoker is the best for jerky, from what I hear, and not too big or expensive.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:53 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've been using my dehydrator for years and it is the best method of making jerky IMO.

I use a commercial product made by Hi Mountain. This come with a cure, seasoning and instructions. I buy the mixes at Gander and really like the pepper blend.

My favorite concoction is as follow, place venison or beef strips in large zip lock bag, cover entire meat with soy sauce, put in a cup of brown sugar and cayeanne pepper to taste, I like mine sweet and hot. Refrigerate for a couple of days turning the mixture and kneading the bag to mix.Yum! You can add a cap of liquid smoke or leave out the peppers if your some kind of girl or for those that don't like it spicy.

If you cut your strips about 1/4 inch thick, your going to have to leave the jerky in the dehydrator for up to 22 hours depending on room temperature and on the brand of the dehydrator. I try to rotate the shelves every two to four hours, taking the finished hunks of jerky off as they get done. The jerky seems to continue to dry in the refrigerator for a while after taking out of the dehydrator. HJ

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:30 PM   #10
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks Joe, I just ordered both Hi Mountian variety packs on line for less than $40 and will process 40 lbs of meat. Should give an idea wich ones I like the best. I'll also try your other suggestion, need brown sugar first.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.