Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Beating Any NEW Legislation (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/beating-any-new-legislation-4960/)

Dillinger 06-14-2008 03:59 PM

Beating Any NEW Legislation

Okay, so anyone who has even browsed the politics forums lately can see from the heated discussions that -

1) We have a lot of people here who are sure Obama is going to screw us on gun rights and;

2) We have a lot of people who are pretty McCain isn't going to do us any favors either.

Now, regardless of what you feel about either candidate, AND DON'T YOU DARE MUCK UP MY FIREARMS THREAD WITH POLITICAL COMMENTARY, my question to the masses is this, and only this:

WHAT ARE YOU PLANNING ON GETTING ON THE BOOKS BEFORE THE CHANGE OF PRESIDENCY?

There's serious talk lately about the "Assault Weapons", so the AR and AK folks are a bit worried. There has been talk, and recent legislation, concerning the .50 Cal people and their "unholy" weapons. There is still concern over magazine capacity. Let us not forget the recent talk of micro stamping all ammunition in coming months/years.

So, knowing that we don't all have big, huge, bags of disposable cash just laying around - What are your short term and long term goals before any new legislation can be had?

I will post some of my wants after a few responses so as not to taint the response pool.

Thanks for adhearing to the spirit of this thread in advance!

JD

ScottG 06-14-2008 04:51 PM

All my "wants" are filled for the moment. I'm not sure I can afford any gun now. I'm thinking perhaps reloading equipment and supplies instead. No interest in the AR or AK platforms. I'll make due with my M1 carbine and some 30 round mags, backed up by the Garand for high volume fire and my '03 Springfield and Swiss K31 for more "leisurely" work.

bkt 06-14-2008 05:34 PM

I'm good for now. There are always things I'd like to get, but nothing I feel I need to get immediately. I'll be buying more ammo and looking at getting started with reloading.

opaww 06-14-2008 06:37 PM

I just want one infamous black gun so I to can join the criminal gun owners, and to get some supplies for my reloading.

matt g 06-14-2008 06:42 PM

I'm trying to get around Cali's new anti-ammo law by stocking up now. If it passes though, I'll probably be moving. I'm also about to buy a Smith Enterprise Crazy Horse M14 SDM as they'll probably be on the ban list that is inevitably get attached to the ammo ban.

Dillinger 06-14-2008 08:07 PM

Good answers guys.

I personally am going to be getting one more AR Lower Platform on the books. I am not sure as to the caliber I want to build, though I am heavily leaning towards both the 6.8 SPC and the .308 / 7.62 x 51. Both have merits, in my mind, and I need to get off my arse and pick which one. :o

The other concern is getting a Magnum Bolt Action on the books, one that I can build up into an U.L.R.S. ( Ultra Long Range Sniper ) Rifle. I have no doubt that these "awful devices" are near the top of the lefties future plans, so my intent is to at least get myself some components now and build it at my leisure, or as future needs demand.

Ammo is high on the list, but I have been slowly stocking up each month at the local shows. Reloading gear is something that I have been looking into, mostly the components as I have some of the reloading gear already.

Good stuff though guys. Let's it keep it going for anyone else who might come along and hasn't been preparing...

JD

opaww 06-14-2008 09:49 PM

Try the 6.5 creedmoor dpms sells one that is $1100. U.S.

Dillinger 06-14-2008 10:54 PM

Thanks opaww - I will look into it, but I don't need the whole weapon at the moment, only the lower to make it official. :cool:

I have a bit of a personal problem with DPMS - not that I feel their product isn't worth the money, or that they turn out crap. I had some honest to God questions for them at the SHOT show in 2006 and their head sales rep was the biggest, most pompous ass on the planet to me because I wasn't interest in making a 1,000 piece order and only wanted some answers. He was really unprofessional, and while I recognize that he isn't the company, he was there again, at the DPMS Booth this past year when I was at SHOT. Kind of says something to me about what is important to them...

Oddly enough, that is the same reason I will never buy any Horus Vision Product. The reticle is very intelligent, and makes any follow up shot from a cold bore miss about as easy as buttering a piece of bread, but the inventor is probably the most arrogant man in firearms manufacturing. What a pr!ck.

But, as it was recommended by a valued member here, I will definitely give them a look and see how their value versus the market compares.

Many thanks opaww -

JD

matt g 06-14-2008 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 27924)
Good answers guys.

I personally am going to be getting one more AR Lower Platform on the books. I am not sure as to the caliber I want to build, though I am heavily leaning towards both the 6.8 SPC and the .308 / 7.62 x 51. Both have merits, in my mind, and I need to get off my arse and pick which one. :o

JD

Yeah, I'll probably be picking up a few extra Smith recievers so I can have serial numbers on the books, then build them up as the wife allows.

CA357 06-14-2008 11:26 PM

I am more or less concentrating on buying ammo right now, for economic as well as political reasons.
I've sold off a bunch of guns recently, so I don't have as many guns as I used to. I think what I have is more than adequate though.
I'm also thinning out all my holsters and accessories. The cash it raises goes towards buying more boolits. :cool: