To Bear Spray or Not To Bear Spray
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > To Bear Spray or Not To Bear Spray

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 02:41 AM   #1
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2257 Times on 1221 Posts
Likes Given: 815

Default To Bear Spray or Not To Bear Spray

We are heading to Alaska at the end of this week.

Anyone here have any experience with bear spray? Got any recommendations?

Yes... I would love to have a 12ga or a .454 along for the trip, but it is not possible. The first half of the trip is on a cruise ship, so no way to bring along a firearm. Besides, I don't have anything large enough to do anything effective other than annoy a bear.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-18-2012, 02:42 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts

Well do you want to be original recipe or spicy for the bear?

Old 06-18-2012, 03:09 AM   #3
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Check it out about the 4 minute mark. This doesnt show just how close it was considering he was more intent on himself and client than filming...hes also had CLOSER encounters than this. This is a buddy of mine that is a guide on the Pere Marquette river in MI, he also owns a bait and tackle shop in Baldwin/ He also runs some destination trips...he goes up to his cousins place in AK and guides for a month out of the year.

This is something that is on my bucket list. When/IF i ever get totgether the coin to do this for 10 days its gonna happen...the ONLY thing that will get me on an airplane....he REFUSES to carry a gun...only bear spray. I say hes NUTS!!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 06-18-2012, 03:15 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5912 Times on 3085 Posts
Likes Given: 415

personally if i gotta go in the woods in bear/mountain lion/wolf territory without a large caliber firearm i would only do it with someone that is slower and fatter than me.

if you are forced to go with skinnier faster people take the bear mace and stand in the rear. bear charges just spray the first guy that turns to run and your safe...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This