Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Bar-B-Que Sauce

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2008, 09:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default Bar-B-Que Sauce

With all you Texans, as members, this should be an easy and quick topic to get an answer on.

My girl and I recently found a good place for Bar-B-Que ribs locally. The search has been one, of probably two years, trying local places all around the state and have found some places that have good ribs, or good sauce, but never a combination of the two.

Now, I have spent some time in Dallas/Ft. Worth, and nothing from around here compares to good, old fashioned Texas Bar-B-Que, but we found a place that is run by a guy who claims to have spent some time in Texas and moved here, decided to open a bar-b-que place.

So, we tried it out and his ribs are good. Not great, but they are quite good. The problem is, his sauce sucks quite frankly. It's way too sweet, way too bland and has no "umph" behind it.

So, what I am looking for, is a real good quality sauce that I can purchase over the internet and be used during the rest of our trials, and in the meantime, our rib purchases from this local shop.

I don't want something so hot my girl can't eat it, and I don't want sweet and sour imitations. I want a very good, medium hot, style of "commercial" sauce.

Yes, I know that is in violation of all things in the Texas Bar-B-Que Handbook - but we can't all live in Texas and have you seen how much rain we get here? I don't have the time, or the weather conditions, to try and master my own.

Many Thanks -

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 11-22-2008 at 09:50 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-22-2008, 11:15 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Bullseye BBQ sauce baby! Haaa, know the PNW that you are will recognize that one.

I dunno what a good bottle brand is, they are all kinda the same thing to me. This may sound cukoo but we really like the Jack Daniels sauces. I smoke ribs and chicken (no filters) and only use theirs. I have tried Stubbs (which sux ballz) and a few other "off" brands, but we keep coming back to the JD...JD. You can pepper it up a little if you want. Know this isnt what you are looking for, but that has been my solution to the problem. Rotsa ruck!

Old 11-22-2008, 11:56 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8427 Times on 3654 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

Sauer's BBQ sauce. Made by the Sauer spice company in Richmond VA (same folks that make Duke's Mayonaise). Not sweet, tangy, can get mild or hot. Vinegar, spices, some pepper, bit of tomato. Definitely NOT ketchup. If you can't find it, private mesage me, I'll send you a bottle.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:38 AM   #4

Nice. Thanks guys. I will give them both a try. I haven't tried the Jack Daniels stuff, figured it was commercial sell out - but if you like it hillbilly, it's worth a try for me.

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 11-23-2008 at 12:42 AM.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:14 AM   #5

Appreciate the intel and the offer C3 - I will see if I can find them on line and see if I can't have a bottle shipped in.

JD

Old 11-23-2008, 01:54 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

bear in mind that there is a group of Texans that'll tell you that you don't BBQ ANYTHING with sauce. You use dry rubs. I'm a fan of either, but I've heard it called blasphemy to put sauce on your meat.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
bear in mind that there is a group of Texans that'll tell you that you don't BBQ ANYTHING with sauce. You use dry rubs. I'm a fan of either, but I've heard it called blasphemy to put sauce on your meat.
*smacking head* Oh Snap! That's right - I remember that now... Apologies all, I am just a dumb Yankee from the wet part of the nation.

Thanks for the reminder...

JD

Old 11-23-2008, 11:27 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Try John Boy and Billys Grillin' Sauce, You can buy it at Wal Mart Or order online. Word of caution the original is the only one fit to eat.

The only times in this nations history that anything great happened it was because normal men put aside their petty differences and fight for a common cause.

Chester

"The great object is that every man be armed . . . Everyone who is able may have a gun." (Patrick Henry, in the Virginia Convention on the ratification of the Constitution.)

Old 11-23-2008, 02:41 PM   #9

Default Dillingers BBQ Sauce

Well, Dillinger, now you gotta do it "Dillingers" way...There's no doubt in my mind that you're not settled with commercial sauces...Believe it or not, those sauces you are tastein out on the BBQ circuit is NOT actually commercial or home made...On average, it's a combination of both....Most start with Kraft Original BBQ sauce you buy off the grocery shelf and they tweak it to their taste.....You can do the same....I'll give you a link and you can go from there...But be warned, you have to first know something about seasonings and what seasons you like in a sauce, then "create Dillingers Best"...That's my advice....Channel your energies into making your own....It may be as simple as just adding a teaspoon of your favorite rub into the sauce and simmer it on the stove, cool, pour back in the bottle and label....WhiteWolf

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/shophome.html ....Seasonings and Spices...

Sauces and How To...

http://bbq.about.com/od/barbecuesauce/a/aa020798.htm?nl=1

Go for it bro....WhiteWolf

Last edited by WhiteWolf4; 11-23-2008 at 02:44 PM.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:18 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Make your own. Once you have a good base, you can tweak things like sweetness and heat to tune it to your liking.

Mine goes something to the effect of a small can of tomato puree, 1/4 cup of red wine or malt vinegar, a 1/4 cup of raspberry jam, some chili powder, some white pepper and a few dashes habenero hot sauce, Mezzetta's is preferred. I'll usually add a 1/4 cup of finely diced onions and a few cloves worth of finely diced garlic. The whole mixture needs to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.

Again though, everything is tweaked as it simmers. Sometimes, it'll get a little molasses or brown sugar, Other times, I'll use Mirin in place of vinegar.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 11-23-2008 at 07:02 PM.