Banning the pocketknife?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Banning the pocketknife?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 08:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Banning the pocketknife?

Banning the pocketknife?
Exclusive: Phil Elmore highlights dangers we face when cutting tools vanish from society
Posted: March 12, 2009
1:00 am Eastern

By Phil Elmore

When I was a boy, my father carried a Swiss Army knife. It was the biggest knife the company made, in that it had just about every tool imaginable. From pliers to tweezers to a magnifying glass and, yes, a knife blade, that knife was his constant companion. Whenever I got a splinter as a child – and, looking back, it seemed to happen fairly often – my father was there. He and his knife's tweezers (and sometimes the smaller of its two knife blades) would remove the offending irritant with a gruff, "Hold still. It won't hurt." On Christmas mornings, when a package was taped too tightly to be opened by hand, my father and his knife were there.

My father was the most prepared person I knew. He carried the equivalent of an entire workshop in drawers in his truck, and he was never without that knife, a pen, a notebook and a small penlight. My father was "tactical" before the word was cool, and he knew the value of preventive, pre-emptive technology before I understood what that meant.

The blade is one of the most fundamental of tools. It is the most basic of technology. In Technocracy we speak often of high-tech, cutting-edge developments in electronics and related fields, but we sometimes forget what the phrase "cutting-edge" truly means. The cutting edge is perhaps the single most critical technology available to us. It is by chopping, cutting, slicing and otherwise separating raw materials that we derive everything else on which we depend. Without cutting tools, there are no clothes. There are no two-by-fours. There are no circuit boards, no Chevrolets, no photocopiers and no wireless phones. Without the ability to cut, there is nothing available to us technologically. The blade is the most fundamental of separators, dividing humanity and the rest of animal life on Earth.

There was a time when the average boy, and the man he became, carried a pocket knife as a matter of course. As we have become more urban and less rural, many citizens have lost touch with the need to carry a knife. You see these pacified, civilized, emasculated citizens tearing at vending machine packages of potato chips with their teeth or their car keys. That would be comical, if not a bit sad... except that the stakes are a lot higher than being unable to open a Christmas present or a bag of pretzels. In some cases, the lack of the most basic technology results in the death of a human being.

(Column continues below)

Boston.com reported Monday that an 82-year-old woman was strangled to death when her scarf and hair became caught in an escalator. According to staff of the Boston Globe, many people simply walked past the ghastly tableau, refusing to get involved. Among the few good Samaritans who desperately tried and failed to free the woman from the escalator was Larry Fitzpatrick. He was quoted as saying, "All we needed was a box cutter, knife, even a nail clipper, but we had nothing available." One of the reasons none of these passers-by had a knife is because Massachusetts, and presumably the city of Boston, have strict laws governing the carry and possession of knives, or certain types of them. They are not alone. Many if not all municipalities have such laws. In some cases, these laws are carryovers from the age of the duel, but in most cases, they are simply the work of invasive governments telling you what you can have in your pocket on a day-to-day basis.

This cultural trend has serious negative consequences. It is also feeding on itself. The vilification of the pocketknife has been an obvious trend in popular culture for some time now. In 2006, Mark Fritz, in the Wall Street Journal, wrote a hit piece called "Deadly pocketknives become a $1 billion business." The purpose of the article was to demonize the "tactical knife" industry in the United States, portraying the knives sold as the deadly implements of Navy SEALs, and the Walter Mittys purchasing them as dangerous, armed time bombs just hunting for the right McDonalds in which to run amok.

The drumbeat of "knives are bad, knives are bad" has prompted smug operatives of the police state in the UK to begin trawling social networking sites to find pictures of UK citizens posing with knives. Horrifying and Orwellian as that is, we're not really that far behind – though, fortunately, our citizens still have more courage than do the browbeaten subjects of the UK. A recent bill to ban all pocketknives in Hawaii drew such negative criticism that the state lawmaker who introduced it tried to disavow knowledge of it, claiming he had simply brought the measure to the legislature to "provide a voice for his constituents." The national outcry over that particular bill seems to have stalled it, but the intent – and the sentiment among certain circles of the American population – remain.

I once saw a child whose shoelaces got caught in an escalator. I was running for that escalator, reaching for my pocket knife, when the boy's parents saw his plight and simply yanked him free. That incident was the first thing that came to mind when I read of that poor woman in Boston. I had a knife the day it happened in front of me ... but many people didn't, and still don't.

Unless we resist the societal trend to equate knives, and the carry of pocketknives, with thuggery and criminal behavior, we will lose a critical component of what makes us a technologically advanced, fundamentally tool-using species. In an increasingly urban society forever more distant from the mechanics of daily life, it may not seem like such a big deal to forego the carry of a pocketknife. That is, it won't seem like you're missing a critical piece of personal technology – until you watch an elderly woman slowly strangle to death in front of you, as you pluck hopelessly at her scarf like a helpless, shaven primate.

Banning the pocketknife?

Three groups spend other people's money: children, thieves, and politicians. All three need supervision. —DICK ARMEY

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-12-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Yeah, well, when they ban knives in New York State (which could be any minute, now) I'll become a criminal. Same with guns, soda with sugar, trans-fats, yadda, yadda, yadda...

How in the name of God can people walk by an elderly woman in mortal danger and just ignore her? WTGDF?!! And NO ONE had a knife? SERIOUSLY?! NO ONE WITHIN EARSHOT HAD ANY BLADE THAT COULD HAVE HELPED THAT WOMAN?

Boston sucks. (Seriously, there were no tourists -- you know, non-pussified-natives -- who had a knife? I've been to Boston a few times and had a knife with me every time.)

Old 03-12-2009, 09:12 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

i never leave home with out my trusty crkt

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 03-12-2009, 09:22 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

The UK banned all knives ( pocket, leathermen, etc. ) in 11 burroughs around London last month, or the month before, and knife crime WENT UP!

Shocking to you guys, I know.

The public is PISSED because it was discovered that a father, a former professional boxer who had immigrated to London legally, was at a bus stop, literally on the way to see his wife at the hospital as she had just given birth to his second son, and he was attacked in an attempted robbery, stabbed in the heart and died - IN ONE OF THE 11 NO KNIFE ZONES!!!!

Think about that for a minute....

Old 03-13-2009, 02:45 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8709 Times on 3768 Posts
Likes Given: 1339

Well. I work for a firm with HQs in Switzerland. So I carry a Swiss Army knife. Real one. With company logo on it.

Among others- and I ain't saying.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:59 AM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 3 Posts

i couldn't imagine
i carry my case knife everywhere
i was always told that a working man should never be caught without a knife.
thats sad about the old lady
im suprised there wasn't a store within ear shot that didn't have a pair of scissors or a box cutter.
and im not trying to be insensitive
but how long does a scarf have to be to get tangled in an escelator?
also i thought most escelators had emergency stop buttons.

a split second of man made perfection dialogue, speed, and direction.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:35 PM   #7

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I carry my knife everyday. It is like a wallet never leave home without it. To do so would be stupid. You never know when you are going to need a good sharpe knife.

Oh and the knife ban in the UK banned all knives even kitchen knives. How the hell are you going to prep a meal without cutting something? I want to see that.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:51 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 204 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Guess I just wouldn't fit in in beantown. Daily wear is a Gerber multitool with a knife blade in it a Bladetech MLEK-Lite clipped to my left front pocket, and a small Schrade Oldtimer two blade for fine work. When I'm a little more dressed up, it's the Schrade,
a Benchmade Mini Griptilian, and a KelTec P32 in a pocket holster.

Last edited by BillM; 03-13-2009 at 12:54 PM.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:26 PM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
The UK banned all knives ( pocket, leathermen, etc. ) in 11 burroughs around London last month, or the month before, and knife crime WENT UP!

Shocking to you guys, I know.

The public is PISSED because it was discovered that a father, a former professional boxer who had immigrated to London legally, was at a bus stop, literally on the way to see his wife at the hospital as she had just given birth to his second son, and he was attacked in an attempted robbery, stabbed in the heart and died - IN ONE OF THE 11 NO KNIFE ZONES!!!!

Think about that for a minute....
You are preaching to the choir here Dude!

I doubt there's a single member here that doesn't carry a knife & gun...

Old 03-13-2009, 01:40 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdeath66 View Post
i never leave home with out my trusty crkt

Ditto. It's just a natural part of my everyday wear-all.