Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Bank posts sign& I close my account

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2008, 07:00 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I own & run two businesses out of the same storefront, I do have a sign saying: I reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. Not that I ever have, wait I did kick one guy out once, he asked for a custom made key, I gave him a price, made the key, he said "it doesn't look like my original key" whereupon I reminded him that he already agreed that he wanted a key that would work his lock and that looks were immaterial. Customer insisted that key did not look exactly the same, I gave him the boot!
I believe that a private business should have the freedom to restrict their product or services any way they might like to, if they can stay in business pissing off a substantial number of clientele, more power to them!
LET FREEDOM RING!

Old 04-27-2008, 12:45 PM   #22
bkt

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDS View Post
" I don't think that's correct, but if you can cite laws that confirm that, please do. You may very well be right. If you are, that would be bad. At a privately-owned business, the owner should have the right to say what people may do there."

No laws to cite on that issue. Just common sense.
I agree with, " a privately-owned business, the owner should have the right to say what people may do there."

Until the business owner violate's the current law. And if its OK for a business to discriminate against a person who has the legal right to carry a weapon, then why can't that same business owner also discriminate against homosexuals, blacks, women, white men, smokers, Mexicans, Etc..........
In my opinion, they should be able to discriminate any way they please just as individuals are free to do.

The Second Amendment is designed to permit us to protect our liberty and freedom. You don't have the authority to piss off an individual through open-carry on his/her property even if it is a business inviting the general public in. A sign that is visible outside the business that is designed to filter some people out is completely reasonable.

Sam's Club, BJs and similar warehouse stores have a sign at the entrance saying they reserve the right to check the contents of carts on the way out. If you don't like that policy, don't shop there. The stuff in your cart belongs to you: you paid for it, and no one has the authority to paw through it. So you must decide when you walk in whether or not you want to grant that authority to someone when you wish to leave.

I disagree with the policy, so I don't shop there. These businesses don't ever get my money.

Quote:
A business that is open to the public has to accept the fact that they will recieve all kinds of customers. therefore they must accept some things that they feel are unacceptable to become part of the community that they are doing business in, to a certain point.
What is that "certain point", and who decides?

People should be free to carry, open or concealed. Businesses should be free to accept or turn away people as the owners see fit. Keep it free and let the market decide which businesses survive and which fail.

Quote:
I will make up signs for retail business owners that say: No Blacks allowed, No Whites allowed, No Women Allowed, No Germans allowed, Etc.... how many people would display one of those signs in a retail business? NONE! Because it violates the law. Discrimination. So why do people think its OK for a business to display a sign that says, No Weapons Allowed! It's discrimination.
Discrimination is not an evil word. Yes, people discriminate all the time: they choose certain products over other ones. I try to avoid buying stuff made in China. That's discrimination. But it's OK.

If a business wants to put up a sign denying entry to people of religious or ethnic backgrounds, that should be up to the business owner. He would probably offend far more than just those he's denying entry to and his business would fold. That's an example of the market making the decision.

I prefer that than to have a legislator compel business owners to operate in a fashion contrary to their preferences, even if I disagree with the business owner.

Quote:
There is a big difference between private property and a private / open to the public business.
I disagree. The land and storefront are owned or leased by a private individual or individuals, and they should have the freedom to decide how to run it. Whether or not they do by law may be another matter.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:12 AM   #23

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

CDNN Sports - a large supplier of firearms and supplies who advertises in Gun Lists and Shotgun News posted an interesting article in their magazine which I received after placing an order with them. Apparently Citi Merchant Services, the owners of Citi Bank have refused to process CDNN Sports credit card orders for guns, and have terminated their contract with CDNN Sports. Their reason: " the sale of firearms in a non face-to-face environment" They claim that a violation of the 1968 Federal Firearms Act takes place whenever a gun offered online is sold to an individual in another state! They also claim that shipping across state lines is also banned! Where do these IDIOTS come from? I cancelled my CitiBank Visa card..screw them!

Old 05-01-2008, 05:18 AM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah I read that too, Good For You on cancelling that Citi card, I was looking at a Shell gas card the other day, when I noticed they are processed by Citibank too, I dropped it so fast you might have thought it was on fire!
I opened a credit card account awhile back. Then one day Chase calls, tells me they'll give me a better rate on my processing. I inquire further until the person checks my store name "Cave Creek Lock&Gun" She asks me if I can drop the gun part, I told her absolutely not- Well they don't want to help me out, say same junk as was told to CDNN, like "How can we monitor who you sell guns to?" I asked her if she had ever heard of the ATF? I finally had to tell them just where to cram their "Special Offer" I was about this close to closing that account too!

Old 05-01-2008, 10:36 AM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

heres my thought on this...... I always carry and always will...... I go in alot of places (other then court house) that say that and they never know i have my pistol on me and I dont tell them, if you conceal it like you pose to theres no problem, now let me be there when the place is being robbed and I have to use it to save my life and then they can arrest me but I bet they wont file charges if I save there life with it.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:10 PM   #26

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdeserthills View Post
Yeah I read that too, Good For You on cancelling that Citi card, I was looking at a Shell gas card the other day, when I noticed they are processed by Citibank too, I dropped it so fast you might have thought it was on fire!
I opened a credit card account awhile back. Then one day Chase calls, tells me they'll give me a better rate on my processing. I inquire further until the person checks my store name "Cave Creek Lock&Gun" She asks me if I can drop the gun part, I told her absolutely not- Well they don't want to help me out, say same junk as was told to CDNN, like "How can we monitor who you sell guns to?" I asked her if she had ever heard of the ATF? I finally had to tell them just where to cram their "Special Offer" I was about this close to closing that account too!

Jeez, I have a Chase Card that I just transferred a balance to! Damn! Not again!

Isn't there any legal recourse to sue these dip****s? I mean, that's discrimination, isn't it? Especially for you, a business owner, and especially since they approached you with an offer, meaning you met all their criterea for credit, and than they discriminate when they hear the word "gun"? When I sent a rifle to be repaired the company told me to take it to UPS for shipment but to say the package contained "Machined Parts" and NOT a gun or I would be charged an exhorbitant rate. Sure enough that's what I told them, but because of the box shape they asked if it was a gun or had anything to do with a gun - I had to lie because I felt either I was going to be discriminated against, or I was gonna be arrested when I expressed my feelings! UPS is not a private enterprise and neither is Chase - so I would think that this is discrimination?

Old 05-01-2008, 12:16 PM   #27

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righteous View Post
heres my thought on this...... I always carry and always will...... I go in alot of places (other then court house) that say that and they never know i have my pistol on me and I dont tell them, if you conceal it like you pose to theres no problem, now let me be there when the place is being robbed and I have to use it to save my life and then they can arrest me but I bet they wont file charges if I save there life with it.
I feel and do the same - I am of the opinion that carrying for self-defense is a God given right, not a government-granted privilege!
These days - I wouldn't bet on that either. The anti-gun rhetoric is running so deep that they may just decide to press charges to make a point. This discriminatory bull**** just may have the effect of making gun owners think twice before responding to a situation, and that could have dire consequences.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:50 PM   #28

GOOD FOR YOU !!!!!!!!!
But unfortunately I do believe that any private buisness owner can post no guns allowed in each and every state....
That being the case we just have to find establishments that will honor the second amendment

IN A WORLD OF COMPROMISE SOME DON'T H&K
GOD BLESS THE SECOND AMENDMENT :D :D
GOD BLESS THE NRA :D :D
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
VOTE PRO GUN ONLY
SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT

Old 05-10-2008, 02:25 AM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righteous View Post
I accidentally carried my spare magazine into the courthouse the other day- Damn! Dude starts yelling "Code Red" I'm saying come on guy, I don't have any way to fire these bullets off anyhow. After 20 minutes they let me go and told me how to check my magazine (or Gun) in next time!

Old 05-10-2008, 02:30 AM   #30

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When I sent a rifle to be repaired the company told me to take it to UPS for shipment but to say the package contained "Machined Parts" and NOT a gun or I would be charged an exhorbitant rate. Sure enough that's what I told them, but because of the box shape they asked if it was a gun or had anything to do with a gun - I had to lie because I felt either I was going to be discriminated against, or I was gonna be arrested when I expressed my feelings! UPS is not a private enterprise and neither is Chase - so I would think that this is discrimination?[/QUOTE]

Next time you wanna send a Rifle, save money and send it US Mail, there is no need to lie, be sure it is securely boxed up Before you enter the post office!
As far as Chase goes, I have been reasonably happy with the other services they have been providing me. I am not ready to close my accounts there over them pissing me off on credit card processing, I just kept my original credit card processing company instead!