Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Bank posts sign& I close my account

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2008, 01:58 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaww View Post
....When I found out AT&T gave money to the anti-gun groups I stopped using them ....
I did the same as my fellow Kentuckian. When I called the AT&T customer service a few years back and she asked why I was cancelling I told her it was because the company supported anti-gun policies and was actively supporting the effort. She laughed. And then she canceled my account. We can control where we put our resources (for now), we need to have the sack that our comrade from Arizona has showed on this one. The problem is most of us are not by nature ones to make a fuss. The gun owners tend to be the go along and get along crowd, sometimes to our detriment.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:38 PM   #12

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Gun owners can do a lot, just by not using a product or service that they actually can do without and also just by writing a email or letter to the company regarding why you will not support them. The one universal power is money and if it affects them enough they will change their policy.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:56 PM   #13

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Excellent behavior! Well done! We all need to take this kind of action more often. Tom Gresham (Tom Gresham's Gun Talk radio show http://www.guntalk.com/site.php ) calls on us to take a "no shrug" policy in dealing with these gun banners. Not only take our business elsewhere, but make sure they know WHY.

Having said all that, what you described is one of the problems with open carry. Sure we have a right to and I have no problem with the exercise of any rights, but with open carry, EVERYONE knows you carry. It tends to make you a target. I prefer concealed carry, but your mileage may vary.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 04-24-2008, 10:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdeserthills View Post
Well, for some reason this bank started asking me for a "favor" about 6 months ago. The favor was always the same, they wanted me to stop carrying my gun in the bank. First time "well the gun scares our customers" I told them I don't see any other customers in here today.
Second time, "well, your gun scares our tellers" I said "Tell them if the gun is in the holster, no reason to be scared." Third time was about 5 months ago, I finally said "look, if I can't carry my gun to protect myself in your bank, I'm gonna have to close my account."
Seems like they called my bluff today!
that was no bluff and you sir did a stand up thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdeserthills View Post
I'm in Arizona, it's an open carry state and I carry openly & have a concealed backup pretty much 24/7. There are many other banks around me, even though I'm in a fairly small town, there are a lot of wealthy people out here (Cave Creek).
well it is good to here that courage is not far from home

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer461 View Post
[

Having said all that, what you described is one of the problems with open carry. Sure we have a right to and I have no problem with the exercise of any rights, but with open carry, EVERYONE knows you carry. It tends to make you a target. I prefer concealed carry, but your mileage may vary.
i am a firm believer in just having a guns every where any time open or not

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress....
But then I repeat myself.
-Mark Twain

Old 04-25-2008, 06:38 AM   #15
GDS

I don't know how to do the quote thing.

You said, "A business owner or private property owner may mandate certain things that the government may not, including "no weapons allowed" or limiting speech. We, as free citizens, may choose whether or not to go along with their policies and do business with them or visit them on their property. Think of it this way: the government must allow KKK rallies, but that doesn't mean I must let them hold a rally on my private land. "

I think you may be confusing private property with public places of business.
If your state has a carry law then any vendor that is open to the public has no right to superced(?) the state law.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:47 AM   #16
bkt

Liked 1303 Times on 662 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDS View Post
I don't know how to do the quote thing.

You said, "A business owner or private property owner may mandate certain things that the government may not, including "no weapons allowed" or limiting speech. We, as free citizens, may choose whether or not to go along with their policies and do business with them or visit them on their property. Think of it this way: the government must allow KKK rallies, but that doesn't mean I must let them hold a rally on my private land. "

I think you may be confusing private property with public places of business.
If your state has a carry law then any vendor that is open to the public has no right to superced(?) the state law.
I don't think that's correct, but if you can cite laws that confirm that, please do. You may very well be right. If you are, that would be bad. At a privately-owned business, the owner should have the right to say what people may do there.

Where I live, there are laws banning smoking in all businesses including restaurants, bars, bowling alleys, etc. The law has hurt some businesses pretty badly. That's an example of government overstepping its bounds, IMO.

Don't get me wrong. I think the anti-gun policy at the bank is really foolish. But we all have rights, and that includes those who manage the bank or who run businesses of any sort.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:17 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I do also carry concealed, thing is I like to have a couple of guns on and I find having one in the open reduces the amount of people who are willing to bother me in public. I also noted that the management in the bank were unconcerned with my switchblade, other knives I carry and my can of pepperspray. They have hassled me off and on about the gun for about 6 months. Last time I just told them to close my account if they don't want to welcome me in their bank with my gun. It was just a couple of days ago when the sign went up, and tell you the truth, I never have seen the sign. I just finally had enough of their BS, I bank at four other banks and none of them ever had a problem with my right to protect myself.

Old 04-26-2008, 02:51 AM   #18

As much as the gun laws in Massachusetts suck ass, the only good thing is that you'll never see one of those "No CCW" signs posted here. I guess the liberal weenies that run this state are either ignorant of the fact that a privledged few of us actually do have gun permits (LTC's), or they figure that criminals would just ignore such a sign anyway...............

"Stupidity is the most plentiful element in the universe"
.................................................. .....Frank Zappa

Old 04-26-2008, 03:52 AM   #19

I don't know... I figure that the safest place for my weapon to be is on my person and under my control. But others could make the claim that, not knowing me, that's just my opinion. This from the same bunch that made - and still makes - me go to extraordinary lengths by means of tests and background checks and seemingly limitless petty acts to prove that I am competent, not a threat to myself or others, have no criminal history (and therefore supposedly no criminal TENDENCIES), etc., just to be able to "legally" possess and carry what MY Constitution ALREADY SAYS I CAN POSSESS AND CARRY, then goes around fainting at the sight of me and my guns. gaahhh!!!!!!!! The bane of freedom? The masses that never had to fight for, win, protect or preserve that freedom. Everyone in the so-called free, "civilized" world talks about "getting along," "promoting peace," etc., while most of the rest of the world seems bent on promoting our destruction by any and every means EXCEPT peace. And just like Shake-'N-Bake, "We'll help!" Useful idiots, they were called by our enemies. And they still are - useful idiots, called such by our (and their, though they know not) enemies.

I know that you're all talking about self-defense in ordinary everyday life. But without those freedoms being actively guaranteed at every level, from the least to the greatest, the integrity of the system protecting any freedom is compromised and the structure for all freedom crumbles. Maybe too slowly to be perceptible, but we've got enough history behind us to know where it's all heading.

Incrementalism - the Coward's way to victory.

"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country... Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered. ...A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason."

~ Thomas Paine, January, 1776, from "Common Sense"

Last edited by TMCXJ; 04-26-2008 at 03:54 AM. Reason: typos and what-not

Old 04-27-2008, 06:33 AM   #20
GDS

" I don't think that's correct, but if you can cite laws that confirm that, please do. You may very well be right. If you are, that would be bad. At a privately-owned business, the owner should have the right to say what people may do there."

No laws to cite on that issue. Just common sense.
I agree with, " a privately-owned business, the owner should have the right to say what people may do there."

Until the business owner violate's the current law. And if its OK for a business to discriminate against a person who has the legal right to carry a weapon, then why can't that same business owner also discriminate against homosexuals, blacks, women, white men, smokers, Mexicans, Etc..........
A business that is open to the public has to accept the fact that they will recieve all kinds of customers. therefore they must accept some things that they feel are unacceptable to become part of the community that they are doing business in, to a certain point.

I will make up signs for retail business owners that say: No Blacks allowed, No Whites allowed, No Women Allowed, No Germans allowed, Etc.... how many people would display one of those signs in a retail business? NONE! Because it violates the law. Discrimination. So why do people think its OK for a business to display a sign that says, No Weapons Allowed! It's discrimination.

There is a big difference between private property and a private / open to the public business.

By the way bkt, I own three business's. Not one of them displays any sign restricting anything. My private property has..... well my Private property doesn't have any signs either, I guess the people round about here know the deal.