Bank of america prohibiting customers from using cards for guns and ammo - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Bank of america prohibiting customers from using cards for guns and ammo

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Regardless. They're on the record as one of the most anti gun banking establishments to ever exist. Why the hell are any of you using their services? Not to mention their sheisty business practices in other regards.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #12
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 702 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 729

I won't put my money with them for a ton of reasons, their ethics being the highest reason on a long list of reasons.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

People Like This 
Old 01-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #13

Liked 167 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Regardless. They're on the record as one of the most anti gun banking establishments to ever exist. Why the hell are any of you using their services? Not to mention their sheisty business practices in other regards.
I had my reasons for being with them but I have been meaning to find myself a Credit Union as most of those reasons no longer apply. Apart from trying to charge me a fee for a new card when a waitress lost my card I haven't had a problem with them. My inside knowledge of the banking industry got that fee waived including the overnight fee.

What other anti gun actions are you referring to?

Old 01-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #14
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2416 Times on 1308 Posts
Likes Given: 695

I am wondering if this is just with actual B of A customers or with Visa cards in general? I use a Visa because that is the only card some businesses will take. I have not had any problems buying anything I want.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:56 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

My bank is local, and pro 2A. I guess they have to be when 80-90% of their customers are packing. They also don't charge a service fee, or anything like that.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:08 PM   #16

Liked 34 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Never have and never will use them.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:41 PM   #17

As I said before if they are trying to do this it will not be very effective due to the limited info they have on your transaction. If you bought from Academy Sports they would not be able to tell if you we're buying swim shorts, grill or a gun. Same with Walmart, Cabela's, Bass Pro etc.

They may be able to block gun sales from gun dealers if there is a separate merchant category code but having checked my list of Merchant Category Codes I don't believe there is a code for gun dealers. The closest thing I found was Sports and Riding Equipment.

I did purchase a shotgun Monday from Academy Sports with my BofA debit card without a problem.

Unless this is confirmed by a reputable source I don't believe it. If it is confirmed they will lose my business.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by davva360 View Post
As I said before if they are trying to do this it will not be very effective due to the limited info they have on your transaction. If you bought from Academy Sports they would not be able to tell if you we're buying swim shorts, grill or a gun. Same with Walmart, Cabela's, Bass Pro etc.

They may be able to block gun sales from gun dealers if there is a separate merchant category code but having checked my list of Merchant Category Codes I don't believe there is a code for gun dealers. The closest thing I found was Sports and Riding Equipment.

I did purchase a shotgun Monday from Academy Sports with my BofA debit card without a problem.

Unless this is confirmed by a reputable source I don't believe it. If it is confirmed they will lose my business.
Even if this one thing is fake, they have done plenty in the past to give gun owners a good reason the give them the finger. They have dropped at least one business just because they sold guns/gun assessories.

Also, They may have not caught your transaction. Paypal has a no gun policy, yet I was able to buy one. Had they found out, they would have freezed my account. I didn't learn this until after it was done.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 01-16-2013 at 10:14 PM.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:39 PM   #19

I'm not trying to defend them. I don't work for them but I do work in the credit card industry and know a lot about the behind the scenes stuff so I don't think it's real.

I would be interested to know about the other story you alluded to. It could be the spur to get me off my butt and move to a credit union.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:43 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 405 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I know on my part been there for 20 years. Don't much care for changes especially my bank. I have everything memorized. I use the crisp out of the online banking. Things like that most local banks don't use or do as well plus in time they just end up being bought by another larger bank and now your back to square one again. I might coincident changing in time. I don't much care for there stance on much but I don't think there's a bank that I do agree with.

My pistols, however, I always kept by me.
Jesse James

Closed Thread