Bandsaw motor question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Bandsaw motor question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 01:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Bandsaw motor question

I got a pretty good deal on a used 10" Delta benchtop bandsaw. I plan on using it mostly for cutting metal & plastic, the problem is that it is a single-speed model & seems to run a little fast for metal. I've seen variable speed controls for routers & fans; could one of these be used on the little 1/5hp motor on a bandsaw? If not, any other suggestions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-04-2012, 03:28 AM   #2

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 228

I think you will be disappointed with that saw trying to cut metal. It gets its horsepower from the high rpm's of the motor if you slow it down you will lose alot of power. Metal cutting band saws have very slow speed blades. They use gear reduction to go slow enough.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:08 AM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

You're probably right. I knew it wasn't the best, just too tempting for the $$$.

Years ago, I used to have a Skil 10" saw. Real POS, almost completely made of plastic, but it had variable speed control built in. I was hoping that the Delta, which is all aluminum & steel, could work with an add-on control. I'm only talking about <1/4" mild steel, brass or aluminum.

Besides giving up the power, would using a VS controller be compatible with it, or could it actually harm the motor?

Old 05-05-2012, 01:55 AM   #4

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 228

"Besides giving up the power, would using a VS controller be compatible with it, or could it actually harm the motor? "
Sorry I'm not smart enough to answer that question. Maybe someone smarter will chime in.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #5

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Also, heat can be a problem when slowing a motor down. We always used 'rule of thumb' 10% to 15% reduction of speed was tops when using an inverter unless it was an 'inverter duty' motor. Otherwise, other external cooling was required.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:16 AM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm afraid I've just got more dumb questions though...

Is a plug-in router speed control like one of these http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/speed_control.html considered an inverter? Also, how do you know if your motor is inverter-duty or not?

There's not much info on the label: 1/5HP, 1725 RPM, 120 volt, 60Hz, 2.5A