Ballistic Therapy
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Ballistic Therapy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 04:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Default Ballistic Therapy

Some of you know my brother is going through some rough times, and I can't even imagine dealing with what he is trying his best to get through.

Anyway, last weekend he visited. I initially asked him if he wanted to go shoot, and he just hem-hawed around. I told him even if he does not, an old friend and I were going to anyway. I threw in that he could get some pistol time in, and he perked up a bit. He told me he had some time scheduled with one of his fellow firemen a few days later to hit the range. All in all, he decided to come along.

We walked down the hill to my home range and he was interested in what I had in the blue case. I said it was a little gun but he would like it. Keep in mind that my brother has not had much handgun experience, in fact he told me he had not shot one in almost a decade. He does not own any, and his *sniffle* wife was against handguns in the house with kids around. He is a shotgun guy, always has been. I showed him the 1911 in the case and his eyes lit up. He had never shot one, but always wanted to.

The best part is that once we started shooting (.22 rifles, .38 and .357 revolvers, a .40 poly pistol and carbine as well as the .45 1911) his demeanor and mood quickly took a turn for the better. Once he got ahold of the 1911, I could not get it away from him. He would help load mags and all, but he kept hold of the 1911. I must say that he was pretty damn good with it, too.

Back at the house after an hour and a half, he was relaxed probably for the first time in a couple of weeks. He laid out on the couch and just relaxed.

He texted me a couple of days later after he went to the range with his co-worker. He was just as relaxed after then as well. I believe he has found a good outlet.

Ballistic Therapy should be something a shrink prescribes to everyone except sociopaths and psycopaths.

So, if you any of you have a loved one or friend in need of some kind of therapy, take them to the range and feed them a steady diet of "bang".

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-03-2011, 04:15 AM   #2
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7009 Times on 4216 Posts
Likes Given: 8437

I'm glad he had a good time. I must say after I go shooting I have a sense of satisfaction, accomplishment and a good dose of self confidence. I do believe it gives one a good feeling.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:19 AM   #3

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Shooting is my preferred calming technique, too, Skull. Sometimes, after a particularly hectic day, I'll just grab my pistol and a few boxes of ammo and run up the mountain for an hour or so of shooting before dark. I'm never as... 'at peace' as I am on the drive back down.
I think having something to focus on helps quite a bit, especially something that requires ALL your attention for safety's sake. Also, look what you focus on to shoot well: body position, breathing, smoothness and consistency of motion... it's like hetero yoga

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Old 02-03-2011, 04:23 AM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Glad to hear you were able to bring a little jpy into his aching heart. Good on you, you are a great brother.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:34 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That's good news.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-03-2011, 04:48 AM   #6

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Good on you for cheering him up. Full agreement on that the ballistic therapy. I find it very relaxing to just head into the hills for a day, I like to get away from the cities, frankly people get on my nerves, and the air in the mountains is better. But For me its not rapid fire, but almost meditation, controlling the breathing and just steadying oneself for a good long-range shot. Focusing on the shot and not on any challenges in life. Not to mention the satisfaction of blowing a target to shreds!

idk if it's the same for everyone but if shooting is a hobby sport, it should be relaxing for a person to just let loose and enjoy themself on something that requires focus, and gets you away from the noise of the cities.

Someone should do some research on the medicinal effects of a little lead throwing! Heck, if the left-wingers can get marijuana legalized, we should be able to prove that guns are theraputic - we need them to maintain our health! Let's see them confiscate something that would reduce our quality of life!

"Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem."
- Ronald Reagan

Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.
- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

"We are the people that we have been waiting for."
-Unknown-

"No Compromise"
Canada's National Firearms Association

Old 02-03-2011, 05:04 AM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Ballistic Therapy should be something a shrink prescribes to everyone except sociopaths and psycopaths.

So, if you any of you have a loved one or friend in need of some kind of therapy, take them to the range and feed them a steady diet of "bang".

Couldn't agree more, skull.

Times I've been right stressed out and by the time I get into the comps and have no possible time to think of anything else, I find I've got this smile happening and a sense of contentment. Even if I get a crap score, hey I'm shooting! And how can that be anything but therapeutic

Only trouble is, I wish I could do it whenever I wanted...

And I reckon any shrink prescribing shooting here would probably be deregistered as a public danger though lol

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 02-03-2011, 05:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctherock View Post
Glad to hear you were able to bring a little jpy into his aching heart. Good on you, you are a great brother.
Thanks, Doc. The thing is, he is a true hero. Fire Medic, Trauma (as in one of those guys in the helos) Medic and Associate Professor of EMT. He has been one of my heroes ever since I can remember. It felt really good to be able to help in some way. He was unable to settle, concentrate or carry a long conversaiton before we went shooting. Afterwards he settled down, relaxed and was back to being more himself. He has a long road to haul, and if I can help. I won't lie that I felt like he was hoarding my baby. The bastage was taking mags with him to the line, and not just a couple...all of them.

Last edited by skullcrusher; 02-03-2011 at 05:07 AM.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:12 AM   #9

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Well done!! Sometimes, hammering a few hundred 230 grain bullets down range helps take the edge off. I'm glad he could have some time away from the pain of his loss.

Now I have to get another Kleenex!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:21 AM   #10

There has to be studies on this kind of therapy done already. Anyone with access to fast net speedz with some "little help?"

Anyone in grad school looking for a PhD dissertation topic?

Grants for me for conducting a study? Funding for at least 20 years of data gathering preferred.

Thanks in advance.

*psst, Jo* Box of tissues every 2 days since here