bait casting fishing reels - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > bait casting fishing reels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 07:26 PM   #11
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2129 Times on 1168 Posts
Likes Given: 635

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Depends on what you classify as a "regular" reel winds. If its a zebco then its the fact that it has no covers except on the sides. If its a spinning reel its the fact that it doesn't have the flip closed bail and it is stopped by your thumb. A bait caster is the farthest casting, most durable, and best fighting reel made. All because of how the drag can still work the spool even if you never stop reeling where as w a zebco or spinning reel you HAVE to stop reeling in line becadue if you don't it will snap your line and burn your drag out.
And it will twist the line so it is unusable. I learned to cast with the old Penn Squidders salt water reels before spinners came out. Braided Dacron or Nylon line as no mono either. Burned thumbs from no brakes. The spinners are great for light baits but just dont have the same drag capability as the casters. I currently have Abu 5500's and 6500's. A lot of spinners too. The spinners are a little easier to handle on a kayak.
Put pressure on the line and spool with your thumb to clear an over run/backlash. Back the spool up with your thumb if necessary. If you try to clear the line without pressure, the overlapping loops will knot up.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #12

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ
And it will twist the line so it is unusable. I learned to cast with the old Penn Squidders salt water reels before spinners came out. Braided Dacron or Nylon line as no mono either. Burned thumbs from no brakes. The spinners are great for light baits but just dont have the same drag capability as the casters. I currently have Abu 5500's and 6500's. A lot of spinners too. The spinners are a little easier to handle on a kayak.
Put pressure on the line and spool with your thumb to clear an over run/backlash. Back the spool up with your thumb if necessary. If you try to clear the line without pressure, the overlapping loops will knot up.
Yep very true. All but two of my good cat fishing caster have no brakes in em......I have the brakes in bags labeled w the model and rod each reel is on though. Although if you put the line on right it wont twist it up. Hold the spool horizontally like it goes on the reel and you avoid that problem.

Last edited by Marlinman; 06-17-2012 at 07:48 PM.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:56 PM   #13

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Marlin, the KS record is 36#. Mine wasnt quite there.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 06-17-2012, 08:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed
Marlin, the KS record is 36#. Mine wasnt quite there.
The biggest one I have ever heard of-i saw this one-was 29.5#. Little old lady caught it on her husbands surf rod because he was passed out on the bank. I netted and weighed it for her. She said it was her very first catfish and when asked why that rod was the only one left out for catfish she said her husband had told her to leave it alone because it was hung up. It was hung up alright.......w a GOOD fish under a rock. I had walked down to see if she was doing ok
and told her to pick the rod up and set the hook because there was a fish hitting it awful hard. She said it had been doing that for bout 20 mins. I said well then its probably hooked itself and that she should just reel him in. Luckily it was a bait caster......otherwise she wouldn't have landed him because she never stopped reeling I got it on the bank and congratulated her then went and got my scales. She said her husband had got a bite and wen he set the hook he missed it and had gotten hung and to leave it alone, maybe it would come unhung. I told her he didn't miss the fish.....it just went under a rock on him.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:20 PM   #15

Liked 374 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman

You can give it to me. If not I might trade you a big spinning reel for it
Thanks for the offer, but I want to get the hang of it. My dad uses it offen. He learned on some old metal fishing pool that had black nylon string on it. If I get chance I will send a pic off it.

NEVER TAKE A SLEEPING PILL AND A LAXATIVE IN THE SAME NIGHT

Old 06-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #16

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Using a bait caster requires knowing how to properly set the drag

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 06-17-2012, 08:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgodd

Thanks for the offer, but I want to get the hang of it. My dad uses it offen. He learned on some old metal fishing pool that had black nylon string on it. If I get chance I will send a pic off it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed
Using a bait caster requires knowing how to properly set the drag
You need to keep LIGHT but constant pressure on the spool on a cast and slowly apply pressure when its starting to slow down. Its not the drag you have to set but spool tension. Hold the rod at 2 o'clock approximately w your weight bout 6" from the end eye then very CAREFULLY loosen the knob under and behind the reel handle(silver knob) until the weight SLOWLY lowers towards the ground on its own.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_blue79
Ted Williams 550:

It's spooled with Sufix Smoke Green 17# test. Needs a brake, which is the same as an Ambassadeur 5000 or 5500.

Which one was the one you wanted to trade for Marlin? That 5000D is pretty sweet!
Either the 5000d or the silver quantifier.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Ted Williams 550:

It's spooled with Sufix Smoke Green 17# test. Needs a brake, which is the same as an Ambassadeur 5000 or 5500.

Which one was the one you wanted to trade for Marlin? That 5000D is pretty sweet!

You older folks probably remember Ted Williams, he was a Baseball player and these reels were made by Sears Roebuck as he helped kickstart they're stores from my understanding.
They were bought out-the reels-by Abu Garcia bout 15 years ago. That'd why the green one is the way it is........its one of the ones from before that buy out.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:12 PM   #20

Quote:
Ah, this is my 6000C:

Spooled with Cajun Red 17# test.

I'd be interested in that 5000D, but I'll have to wait til dad gets paid on the 27th before I can ship it.
No problem to me since $ so tight for me idk when I could ship the 5000 at the moment.