Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   bait casting fishing reels (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/bait-casting-fishing-reels-66566/)

Marlinman 06-17-2012 06:11 PM

6 Attachment(s)
I do alot of cat fishing and bait casters are about the only kind I use for it. So post pics of your favorite ones and tell why w some history on it if you will;)



Attachment 49126



Attachment 49127

This reel is a quantifier PQ2000XPS spooled w 20# test green trilene big game and the biggest fish iv caught on it was a 10# yellow channel cat.


Attachment 49128



Attachment 49129

This one is an Abu Garcia 6000ct spooled w 20# test trilene big game and the biggest fish iv caught on it was a 65# mud cat(flat head)



Attachment 49130



Attachment 49131


This one is an Abu Garcia 5000D spooled w Eagle Claw 20# test and the biggest fish iv caught on it was a 20# blue cat.

willfully armed 06-17-2012 06:14 PM

Abu 6000 is what I use. 12# trilene on it. Pulled a 30# channel cat with it.

Marlinman 06-17-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willfully armed
Abu 6000 is what I use. 12# trilene on it. Pulled a 30# channel cat with it.

Did you turn it in for a record willfully?

tomgodd 06-17-2012 06:29 PM

I have a abu 6000. Never was very good with it. Never caught a fish with it. To busy with knots. Lol

Marlinman 06-17-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomgodd
I have a abu 6000. Never was very good with it. Never caught a fish with it. To busy with knots. Lol

You can give it to me. If not I might trade you a big spinning reel for it;)

texaswoodworker 06-17-2012 07:00 PM

I was never any good with a bait casting reel, but I love my spinning reel. :D

winds-of-change 06-17-2012 07:03 PM

I've never heard of a bait casting reel. How are they different than a 'regular' reel?

Marlinman 06-17-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change
I've never heard of a bait casting reel. How are they different than a 'regular' reel?

Depends on what you classify as a "regular" reel winds. If its a zebco then its the fact that it has no covers except on the sides. If its a spinning reel its the fact that it doesn't have the flip closed bail and it is stopped by your thumb. A bait caster is the farthest casting, most durable, and best fighting reel made. All because of how the drag can still work the spool even if you never stop reeling where as w a zebco or spinning reel you HAVE to stop reeling in line becadue if you don't it will snap your line and burn your drag out.

winds-of-change 06-17-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlinman (Post 839303)
Depends on what you classify as a "regular" reel winds. If its a zebco then its the fact that it has no covers except on the sides. If its a spinning reel its the fact that it doesn't have the flip closed bail and it is stopped by your thumb. A bait caster is the farthest casting, most durable, and best fighting reel made. All because of how the drag can still work the spool even if you never stop reeling where as w a zebco or spinning reel you HAVE to stop reeling in line becadue if you don't it will snap your line and burn your drag out.

Ah, I see. Interesting.

Marlinman 06-17-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change

Ah, I see. Interesting.

Ya. I can post an example of a spinning reel if you need me to so you can see the differences. I can't post a pic of a zebco because I don't own one of the dang things-its what's considered a beginners reel or old folks reel because of how simple they are to use.


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:00 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.