Bad attitude at local gun shops? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Bad attitude at local gun shops?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2009, 01:00 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

I used to frequent one of the (few) gun shops in town run by an older guy and his son. The old man was pretty gruff and the type that you wouldn't want to turn your back to, lest you find your pocket picked. The son was closer to my age and more "with it" regarding customer relations, and would step in and shoo dad away then take over and smooth things out. He would apologize for the rude behavior, then try to make you happy and help you out. I became a "regular" customer over the years, and had a good relationship with the son, the in-house gunsmith and a couple other sales guys. The majority of firearms and reloading equipment I own were purchased there - and I spent a LOT of money in that place. "Dad" eventually retired and the son took over the store, along with his wife.

After many years they moved out of that location (bad neighborhood) and built a new shop over in the next county. Which was both good and bad for me since it was basically right across the road from where I was working at the time. (Bye-bye paychecks!)

I continued to due business there and noticed that their inventory was becoming more and more lacking. They hardly ever had anything in stock that I went looking for, and would take forever to special order anything. Probably hard times starting to set in, so I understand in a way. But then I noticed I was getting more and more "run-around" any time I wanted them to order me something they didn't have there. Promises of it will be here "Wednesday"..... which turned into "next week"...... "next month"..... etc.

I quickly grew tired of this and began doing my non-weapon shopping on-line and could get it delivered to my house the very next day. So my visits to the shop became pretty much limited to buying firearms only. About that same time I applied for my C&R license, so that I could save myself some money on those types of weapons by buying directly from the distributors. I still purchased weapons from the gun shop that interested me.

One day I went to the gun shop and asked the son (now owner) if he would keep a copy of my license on file so that I could do simple transfers with him on any C&R guns that I bought from him. (At full RETAIL price of course.)
At that point he blew up and called me everything but a white man....

Needless to say, after 35 years of being a damn GOOD customer (in my mind) - that relationship ended immediately. I guess after dealing with John Q. Public (you know -- MORONS) for so many years shop owners eventually loose their minds. It's a sad thing.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:04 PM   #22

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
The ones by me suck, but its because I'm a girl. There is one 30ish year old guy that will speak to me with respect and interest. The other guys there who are older are dicks, unless I go in with my hubby or my daddy but at 28 years old I shouldn't need that I have been shooting since I was teeny tiny its not like i'm some pissed off housewife on a bender.

That really does suck, Jess As you say, those older guys are most likely arseholes. But still that's an inexcusable way to treat a potential customer.

I've never seen similar poor treatment of women here; possibly because shooters are such a small percentage, everyone tends to have this 'besieged community' type feeling....we're all in it together, so to speak I guess the fact that everyone must mandatorily belong to a club also helps there...its not just shooting on your own.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:12 PM   #23

By the way -- The gun store I now frequent is run by a guy who is an ex-cop and has seen the lowest of the low in society I'm sure. And it shows....

Ask a stupid question, or make a stupid move in his store, and all HELL breaks loose! Every time I've been there he ends up screaming at SOMEBODY!

However, any normal adult with common sense gets treated with respect and he will bend over backwards to help them. Plus they get the BEST price in town on any firearm.

Last edited by Highpower; 11-12-2009 at 01:15 PM.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:20 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
The ones by me suck, but its because I'm a girl.
You DO know that testosterone impairs brain function, right?

Old 11-12-2009, 02:15 PM   #25

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs887 View Post
There are a few shops around here I wont set foot into anymore. Their prices are over inflated (I'm sorry I'm not about to set down $650 for a GP100) and the employees are for the most part dicks who take it as a personal offense that you might not know as much as they do.

On a positive note, for anyone in Ventura County, Ft. Courage Armory in Simi Valley provided one of the best purchasing experiences for me. They are really small, but if they don't have it, they will do their best to get it for you. That and they don't mind the stupid questions that noobs like myself ask.
Could you possibly be referring to a place named after a dog, whose name begins with the letter "G"?

Old 11-12-2009, 11:59 PM   #26
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The shop closest to my home could use customer service training. Always the same two guys working the counters and always the three same guys in there talking to the two guys working. If you ask to see a firearm it is an issue as it breaks up there conversation. If you just buy ammmo and targets it seems like the sale wasn't worth the effort. One of the last times I was in there one of the guys mentioned that he hadn't seen me in the store much recently. I was honest and explained why. He seemed to sort of get it, the other guy just seemed pizzed.

I would rather drive 20 miles and get reasonable service for my $ than to feel like I'm bothering them. I had purchased several firerms from the store close to home over the years but the last couple have been purchased at the other store that seems to appreciate my business.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:00 AM   #27

I just posted something about this in the "Elitists" thread.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:08 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXnorton View Post
All of my recent gun purchases have been pleasant and good experiences. I bought two handguns at Bass Pro three weeks ago, and the salesguy spent over 30 minutes with my wife working with her to find the "best fit" for her.
Bass Pro at Katy Mills treats me like an *******. I might look like an ******* but I am respectful. I never get good service there.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:30 AM   #29

My gun store just opend up and the guy that runs it is cool and very friendly twards women. Even though his hours are limited but he is just getting started and wants buisness.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:55 PM   #30

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Being a gun shop employee myself, I can tell you that at times the job is very frustrating and can put one in a bad mood really quick.
Working in a gun store, you have all types of customers, some think they know everything about guns, some try to hustle you to bring the price down, some like to bitch about your stores prices being higher than the store down the street, and some idiots even ask the question "are those real guns?"
I'm not necessarily saying that the guys at the gun shop you mentioned aren't d*cks, but they might just be having a bad day.