Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Bad attitude at local gun shops?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2009, 08:35 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

The two shops I use all the time are great. I recently bought a Rem. 700 .308 and I took my VX-III scope w/ me to have it mounted.
The shop provided me with reading material, coffee, tea, soda, water, and dvd's of hunts and guns. I got to sit there and watch the gunsmith put the bases on, rings, and boresight the scope. It was great.
Two weeks later I got a thank you card and a Ka-bar folding knife for doing business with him.
Another shop I use throws in extras anytime you buy guns from him. I bought a Ruger P-95 from him and he tossed in a molded plastic holster and some hi-viz sights for free.
It has been my experience that if you look long enough or hard enough, you will find the dealer that is right for you. My dillema is who do I take my business to next.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 11-11-2009, 09:37 PM   #12

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Not sure where you are shopping, but I generally find most places in Columbus to be unfriendly. Try heading south a bit to Lancaster and stop in Ohio Valley Trading Co.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 11-12-2009, 02:30 AM   #13
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1081 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 506

I spend quite a bit of time at my friends gunshop and I can see why there are a few attitudes from the owners/workers of the gunshops.

First,are the complete dumbasses that come in and ask about the biggest and baddest hand cannons and "assault weapons" that they know nothing about,or have the I.Q. to even think about owning.
These people should be considered Armed and Dangerous with a sharp pencil in their hands!!!

Then,there are the people that come in after looking on the gun auction sites and want him to meet/beat the best price they have found. Then they get pissed off when he can't come close because the price is lower than the gun cost him from the distributor's that he uses.

Don't leave out the jackasses that come in after driving around town to every WallyWorld trying to find cheap ammo,and then come to the gunshop and bitch about his prices being higher,but he actually has the ammo in stock.

Gunshops can't beat most of the big chain stores prices,they can't buy the quantity of goods to get the big price breaks,and nobody should expect them to.
What they can offer is a chance for you to become friends with a business owner that has the same enjoyment and passion for firearms as yourself.
I don't mind paying a little more for a few items that I could get cheaper down the street. I'm helping out a local business at a time when they need it the most,and in the long run it will benefit myself,because these guy's do remember who stands by them in the hard times.

So the next time you go into a local gunshop,give them the benefit of the doubt,there could have been 4-5 jerks in there right before you showed up.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:02 AM   #14

Well in my experience, Yankees around here are jerks in general. Maybe the problem is all y'all are shopping in Ohio.

If a store owner or employee was a jerk to me, I'd just leave and go somewhere else. And on my way out I'd let them know why.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of the people." -- V, V for Vendetta

Old 11-12-2009, 04:04 AM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

The biggest attitude I see in our local gun shop is the "I know more than you" syndrome, especially if they're speaking to a woman. Nobody enjoys being treated like an ignoramus, especially when they know what they're talking about and the "professional" doesn't.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy130 View Post
Has anyone else noticed a general bad attitude from employees at your local gun stores? I don't know if this is just a Columbus Ohio thing but you would think I walked in with a 'save the whales' t-shirt on and Obama stickers all over my car. Its not just one shop too, three of them I've been to in town all share the same unhelpful and abrasive attitude.

Anyone else seeing this? Two buddys of mine have said the same thing. Call me crazy but if I'm plunking down $500 on a gun I want at least the customer service I would get at Starbucks...
if you you have Obama stickers i would tell you to shove your $500 plunkers too

Old 11-12-2009, 11:53 AM   #17

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Maybe it's just in your area that the gun shop owners are abrasive. Here in Las Vegas, the 4 shops I frequent all have knowledgeable and courteous sales people. Someone else mentioned Bass Pro Shop and I had an excellent experience there. The salesman and I just "chatted" for 30 minutes before I even asked to look at a weapon. When I asked, he was all business and very informative about the available 9mm weapons they had. I was looking for a Browning HiPower but they only had one with that stupid looking cammo plastered on it. Ended up with a Beretta PX4 Storm.

Discount Firearms, American Shooter and Master Shooters (the store I use for FFL transfers) also all have "non-dick, non-abrasive" sales personnel.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:01 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Since moving there are 2 local gun shops, one of which is also a pawn shop. The pawn shop is way high on all their prices and they're just rude. I will never do business with them.
The other is owned by a couple of good ol boys. They're older, at least 50 and have been in business for over 25 years. They have EVERYTHING, guns, reloading, hunting gear, fishing supplies, bows, knives and if they don't have it, they'll order it. Firearm transfer is $25, not as good as my last shop, they did it for free but I had a longer relationship with them. I bought my bow from them and I picked the one guys brain on several ocassions. They get almost all my business, what they don't get is done online.

Most of the gun shops I go in are great, but there aren't many around my new place.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-12-2009, 12:04 PM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
I spend quite a bit of time at my friends gunshop and I can see why there are a few attitudes from the owners/workers of the gunshops.

First,are the complete dumbasses that come in and ask about the biggest and baddest hand cannons and "assault weapons" that they know nothing about,or have the I.Q. to even think about owning.
These people should be considered Armed and Dangerous with a sharp pencil in their hands!!!

Then,there are the people that come in after looking on the gun auction sites and want him to meet/beat the best price they have found. Then they get pissed off when he can't come close because the price is lower than the gun cost him from the distributor's that he uses.

Don't leave out the jackasses that come in after driving around town to every WallyWorld trying to find cheap ammo,and then come to the gunshop and bitch about his prices being higher,but he actually has the ammo in stock.

Gunshops can't beat most of the big chain stores prices,they can't buy the quantity of goods to get the big price breaks,and nobody should expect them to.
What they can offer is a chance for you to become friends with a business owner that has the same enjoyment and passion for firearms as yourself.
I don't mind paying a little more for a few items that I could get cheaper down the street. I'm helping out a local business at a time when they need it the most,and in the long run it will benefit myself,because these guy's do remember who stands by them in the hard times.

So the next time you go into a local gunshop,give them the benefit of the doubt,there could have been 4-5 jerks in there right before you showed up.

Kinda makes me glad that only those who've been thru police checks/firearms courses are going to walk into the (few) gun shops that exist around here. Plus, with only 5% of the population being licensed, gun shop owners & workers tend to be pretty helpful - there's not a huge pool to draw your customer base from.

Gotta admit its a bit hard to get my head around chain stores dealing in firearms...that is just too weird for an aussie

Old 11-12-2009, 12:41 PM   #20

The ones by me suck, but its because I'm a girl. There is one 30ish year old guy that will speak to me with respect and interest. The other guys there who are older are dicks, unless I go in with my hubby or my daddy but at 28 years old I shouldn't need that I have been shooting since I was teeny tiny its not like i'm some pissed off housewife on a bender.