Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Backpacks vs. Briefcase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 343 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Default Backpacks vs. Briefcase

I know there is a poll option but I want to actually hear reasoning and I'm less interested in the statistics this time.

So very recently I heard a pretty good rant about adults who still carry backpack and the assertion we need to grow up and buy a damn briefcase already. As a long time technologist I could happily thumb my nose at them and continue carrying all my crap in a backpack. It's one of the perks of the job, people just assume you have little quirks and eccentricities and the thought of a 30+ year old still using a backpack is not really an issue. Sidenote, the last two companies I worked for would just issue whatever laptop bag their vendor provided, so a lot of people were carrying backpacks because that is what their computer came with.

Recently though, my company issued backpack began to fall apart. It was actually for a previous employer so there will be no replacement. I'm pushing 40 hard (as in, I will turn 40 before 2013 is over) and while I still work in technology I am as high in management as you can get without actually being an executive. Which means I don't get the pass I used to for idiosyncrasies.

So I decided to join the adult world and did actually purchase a briefcase. Not the traditional old-time leather ones like my Dad used to have but something that is a reasonable laptop bag that will also probably last forever and will travel well.

Still, I'm wondering. Is this just hipster whining? Is it really a big deal that adult professionals will carry their stuff in a backpack these days?

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
Relax, y'all. It's not my blood. ~Me, Fallujah, 2005

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

My take on it, as a working bag...

If your job requires a jacket/blazer/sportcoat type of thing, and a tie, get a briefcase.

If you can wear a button down shirt, with the sleeves rolled up, the top two buttons undone, and khaki pants/ casual slacks, with casual/ dress casual shoes, a back pack is acceptable as long as it's not just over the top eccentric.

If you can go to work in jeans, cowboy boots, and a tee shirt, no one, and I mean absolutely NO ONE should give a damn.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #3

Liked 5308 Times on 2914 Posts
Likes Given: 10141

I pay for results not fashion.

No offense and none taken

People Like This 
Old 09-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #4

Liked 7549 Times on 3285 Posts
Likes Given: 1119

Another chapter in the continuing saga of "Who has time to worry about THAT!"

Seriously- I use a backpack when I am traveling instead of a suitcase. (Well, once in a while I DO have to wear a suit, and DO use a suitcase then)

My computer bag has a shoulder strap, but also has wheels and a pull up handle. doubles as my briefcase. Besides computer, holds the stuff I need when conducting training.

Now, if I am in court with my lawyer, the LAWYER better have a briefcase!

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 09-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #5

Liked 1464 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 1065

By the time you reach 50 you'll have the answer. At that point function out ways fashion and you really don't give a rats A$$ what anyone thinks!!!

Old 09-23-2013, 03:54 PM   #6

Liked 1441 Times on 771 Posts
Likes Given: 2393

Asus computer bag that came with a 17" gaming laptop. It swallows my little Macbook Air and leaves plenty of room for travel sized toiletries and mariner's documents. I quit smoking so carrying cartons of death is not an issue anymore. A briefcase is just awkward. A backpack frees up your hands. People actually still use briefcases?

Old 09-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #7

Liked 4454 Times on 2352 Posts
Likes Given: 255

I have about as much concern for what others think of how I dress what I carry or what accessories I have as I do whether kim jong ill farted this morning when he woke up...

Do what you like in such things and if someone takes exception its their problem not yours.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #8
I'm your huckleberry
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6542 Times on 3633 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

I'm with Trip on this.

Suit and tie? Go with the briefcase.

Casual work environment? Who gives a damn what you carry your stuff in?

Old 09-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #9

Liked 4781 Times on 2677 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Humm? All the horrible things a man in management has to deal with? I expect making high level decisions like this go back to grade school and the book bags.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #10

Liked 343 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Humm? All the horrible things a man in management has to deal with? I expect making high level decisions like this go back to grade school and the book bags.
If it were the most difficult decision I had to deal with I'd be so lucky.

At this point it is about career management. There really is something to the saying "Dress for the job you want". That doesn't mean suits everyday though. Dressing too nice all the time can put you out of touch with your team. Dressing too casual or always meeting the bare minimum of your dress code (assuming there is one) can make you appear unprofessional.

I do miss the days when I thought nothing of wearing a T-shirt and jeans to the office. However, I never know if I am going to walk in and have to deal with non-technology management, and we've got some old school thinkers who probably still think everyone should be wearing a tie.

I know a customer I dealt with last year was suits only in their office. Man, I hated site visits to that place.

Although the feedback here is interesting. I don't regret buying the laptop bag as opposed to a backpack, but the rather flippant attitude towards briefcase/bag as being "adult" is actually encouraging.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain