Back up weapon help
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Back up weapon help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 08:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Back up weapon help

Hello again everyone. I Am a armored transport guard in a pretty bad area. I am also ex military and have plenty if use with edged weapons as well. I have a question for you guys. I want to keep a angled edge blade as a back up to my firearm. Since they wnt let us carry a secondary firearm. It's an angled kerambit blade A undercover sonic made by united cutlery. My question is should I carry on my right side near or behind my holster. Or on my life side. I am right handed. And most of our training is when shtf we do everything ness. To either keep our firearm in its holster and to pop the Mag release rendering the gun useless. Even thought my m&p 45 is chambered it wnt fire. And deploying a back up knife to pry the attacker off. Which side do you think would be best. Should i learn to deploy it left handled or have it closer to my dominant hand. Thx for your kindness and insight and thanks again for any help

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #2

[QUOTE="2ndamendmentarms"]Hello again everyone. I Am a armored transport guard in a pretty bad area. I am also ex military and have plenty if use with edged weapons as well. I have a question for you guys. I want to keep a angled edge blade as a back up to my firearm. Since they wnt let us carry a secondary firearm. It's an angled kerambit blade A undercover sonic made by united cutlery. My question is should I carry on my right side near or behind my holster. Or on my life side. I am right handed. And most of our training is when shtf we do everything ness. To either keep our firearm in its holster and to pop the Mag release rendering the gun useless. Even thought my m&p 45 is chambered it wnt fire. And deploying a back up knife to pry the attacker off. Which side do you think would be best. Should i learn to deploy it left handled or have it closer to my dominant hand. Thx for your kindness and insight and thanks again for any help. Also to add its much more comfortable on my right side. And feels more natural. My fear is that my right hand might be injured or using it to keep my weapon in its holster. Hoping I never have to find out. But I prepare for the worst. Thx again

Old 03-21-2012, 08:48 AM   #3

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Well im just a michigan hickerbilly but, I keep it opposite my shooting hand mainly because it's gona be a cold day in hell before you pry my gun from my hand. The other hand is gona be free to do what ever. Why not grab a knife and stab the do do out of em ?

Old 03-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3045 Times on 1591 Posts
Likes Given: 295

At work, I carry two knives. One in each front pocket. The Benchmade auto Tanto is my left handed knife. Razor sharp and massively strong. I will slice and dice with my left while maintaining control of my handgun with my right.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #5

Liked 1035 Times on 618 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I am a fan of the tanto blades myself, i have a Benchmade "osbourne" reverse tanto knife but my wife took it from me and keeps it in her purse. Now i carry a Cold Steel "Recon" tanto. I keep both razor sharp and ready to go

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 03-22-2012, 12:18 AM   #6

Thank you guys. I am going to practice more with my left hand. And getting my backup into play. Just feels awkward using my left hand. And I guess after much practice it gets easier and more. Instinctual and natural feeling. Much appreciated