Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Back pain issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 04:39 PM   #31
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2743 Times on 1591 Posts
Likes Given: 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
Agreed! I have so many people telling me I shouldn't ride. Riding and shooting is all I have left, I can't even hunt anymore, or do a bunch of other things. I love it when people think they know how my body feels.
People don't understand that on a bike, you lean forward slightly(using your stomach muscles for support) versus the upright position used by most cars and trucks. The upright position forces one's weight to be support by the spine only.
I can ride longer on the bike than sitting in the car.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-15-2011, 08:12 PM   #32

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
People don't understand that on a bike, you lean forward slightly(using your stomach muscles for support) versus the upright position used by most cars and trucks. The upright position forces one's weight to be support by the spine only.
I can ride longer on the bike than sitting in the car.
For me it depends on the road I'm on, or the type of vehicle. On my bike it's all about the road and most of the roads here in Iowa are crap which limits my riding time. Nonetheless I'm going to try and do the 900 mile trip to Sturgis next year. Cars suck IMO. For me it's worse in a car (a truck isn't as bad) but put me in a car and it's nothing but pill popping time.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:36 PM   #33

Liked 1033 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 536

A 4x4 tahoe ? seat heaters are nice . A 92 f350 longbed 4 door 4x4 un loaded ? hell no . A 89 sportster bobber with a seat wider than my ass ? yep yep
PLus two it goes back to the sitting then getting up again , same goes for riding in cars , for some reason I dont feel as bad on the bike as I do now while im typing this

Danger is real , Fear is a option

Omnem dimittite spem, o vos intrantes
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:22 AM   #34
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1537 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 7815

Moble, Go to your local exercise equipment retailer and pick up an inversion table. I bought one at dick's for the wife three years ago when she was having a similar problem to what you described. It is not a cure all, but if part of the issue is due to nerve compression it may help. It works by hanging you by your feet and useing the weight of your upper body to stretch the spine back out, lessening the pressure on the nerves in your spine. Hope this helps. Back surgery is a bit of a hail mary thing IMO.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Last edited by kfox75; 11-16-2011 at 08:26 AM.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:43 AM   #35
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2743 Times on 1591 Posts
Likes Given: 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
Moble, Go to your local exercise equipment retailer and pick up an inversion table. I bought one at dick's for the wife three years ago when she was having a similar problem to what you described. It is not a cure all, but if part of the issue is due to nerve compression it may help. It works by hanging you by your feet and useing the weight of your upper body to stretch the spine back out, lessening the pressure on the nerves in your spine. Hope this helps. Back surgery is a bit of a hail mary thing IMO.
I have one. The only problem is when you have a sinus problem, it worsens when inverted.
But it is good for temporary relief.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-16-2011, 01:33 PM   #36

Dad has one , does not work for me .

You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:34 PM   #37

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have battled the ruptured disks for years. PT helped a lot and walking is a must do. The more you do it the better you feel. Take your pain meds about 30 min before the walk. After I got my broken heart I was on water pills to keep the fluids moving. That caused me to be low on Potassium and Magnesium. When I got the minerals back in the correct amounts I found I hurt less and my pain meds worked better. Because of my heart I can only take narcotic pain meds, NO NSAIDs like motrin. I hear ya on who will do your job and the Co-Pays. I'm putting off heart surgery until January because I don't have enough officers today let alone anyone to replace me and my health care spending account will refill 1-1-12. Once I make the big heart surgery co pay I will meet my max for the year and everything else will be covered. Told the wife I might get a boob job. I know it huts like heck @#@$&$%. Hang in and do everything you can to make it better.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:01 AM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 832 Times on 504 Posts
Likes Given: 179

yoga, not the chanting stuff, but the stretching style is a great aid for back pain... I'll have to check out the essential oil suggestion!

Old 11-17-2011, 02:48 AM   #39
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8044 Times on 4640 Posts
Likes Given: 10380

I can go on and on about the essential oils, but I won't. I use doTERRA brand. High quality and they cover many more things than just back pain. I use them for my overall health care.

As far as my back pain I use the doTERRA Lifelong Vitality Supplements daily. That has eliminated my daily chronic back pain entirely. I still have stiffness, but no pain that I can tell. There are no pain killers in this stuff. Of course I ha my chronic back pain for nearly 40 years so I am pretty pretty used to pain. When I had the epidural cortisone injections in my lower back I did the first one with local anesthetic but after that I would forgo the local and I didn't see any difference. I know several people who tell me that the procedure is terribly painful. Hmmm.

I also occasionally use one of the doTERRA oil blends called Deep Blue in combination with Wintergreen, White Fir and Lemongrass.

Go to doTERRA Essential Oils for Everything Essential and look up your ailment. Its a search engine for essential oils.

I have become an independent consultant for doTERRA, just for full disclosure, but it is only because it has worked for me in many more ways than I can tell you. I'm not asking you to sign up with me I am only asking you to look into it for your yourself. I can probably connect any one of you with someone near you to learn more about them.

This stuff works!

Again, PM me if you want more information.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #40

here we are again . I went to the doc yesterday for another follow up and so far he is out of options since his practice is non surgical . He told me its about time to go see a surgeon and see whats up . Only thing different as far as pain goes is now my mid back has a disk taking dump along with my lower , throw some arthritis in the facet joints in the mix also . I have been doing good with my pain meds but damn they get old . Any one ever tried Nyucenta ? Im still on 10mg percs so I consider that doing good since its been over a year now .
I know everyone said to not let them cut on you but from what I have been reading its not like it use to be .