Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Back in the old days . . . (grit alert)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 02:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default Back in the old days . . . (grit alert)

I'm posting this here, because, despite the fact we have umpteen different folders in this forum, there is no "General Firearms Talk" forum. Since this thread concerns all types of firearms, and not specifically rifles, pistols, or shotguns (or .22's or auto rifles or revolvers or semi-autos or concealed carry or . . . ) I can't find a "firearms" folder to stick it in.

But enough of my preliminary gripe. My larger old grit rant here is: Doesn't it seem to you that they made guns better in the "old days" than they do now? Don't get me wrong -- there are still some top quality weapons out there (if you want to pay an arm and a leg) but generally the fit, finish, and performance of guns these days is not up to what it was in, say the 40's through early 60's.

I think the earlier bluing was better; the woods used for stocks was nicer; the actions seemed smoother. They had a better "feel".

This may be one reason why the older Smith and Colt revolvers are priced outrageously nowdays.

As I've stated before, most of the guns I buy these days are "vintage". New one's just don't have the same appeal to me.

So . . . do you agree that they don't make 'um like they used to, or is this thought another symptom of my lapsing into cootism.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-21-2014, 02:22 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2632 Times on 1535 Posts
Likes Given: 1167

In a lot of cases, they make them better than they used to.

Changes in metals, advancements in plastics, CNC machining.

But that still does not give the characteristic of the old master's hands.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-21-2014, 02:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
In a lot of cases, they make them better than they used to.

Changes in metals, advancements in plastics, CNC machining.

But that still does not give the characteristic of the old master's hands.
What are these "plastics" you speak of?

Old 01-21-2014, 02:33 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 454 Times on 307 Posts

Its a ghost gun lol they didn't make that back in the old days

EZ

Old 01-21-2014, 02:41 PM   #5

This reply isn't directly on point, since it concerns a rare type of firearm, but the other evening a cigar shop buddy brought in a gun to show me. It was a double rifle that his great (or great-great) uncle had brought back from German after WWII. It was shorter than I expected, but it could have been the best balanced rifle I've ever handled, and everything was hand fitted. Definitely the nicest firearm I think I've ever handled, with very fine hand checkering and hand engraving.

He recently decided to sell it. In the past he's been offered $20K for it, but declined, but how he's finally realized that he could use the money more than the gun. If I won the lottery tomorrow, that would be about the first thing I'd buy.

It was a really, REALLY nice gun.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:45 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1073 Times on 694 Posts
Likes Given: 1990

I agree they made them better in the old days, at least some of them. The new guns are cheaper not just in quality but also price, and that's what the market wanted. Of course priorities have changed also. There's no use spending an arm and a leg on something to take to the range occasionally. Guns used to be a serious survival tool and it was worth the extra to get a quality gun that would last a life time with serious use. Today the cheap guns will last a life time and then some but they aren't used like the old ones were. Not to mention you used to get one gun and not 20 like many today do. Quality guns are still available and they do cost an arm and a leg but they are worth it if you are only going to get one or two guns and you are going to get some serious use out of them.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:46 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1371 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 471

I would have to say firearms were better made in the old days. Today the firearms industry has a very high rate of defective weapons. Union workers who have been in the industry for over 20 years are laid off. Hell it's hard to find a bolt action rifle with iron sights on it.

You can't expect an industry who's only goal is to generate a profit to produce anything as well as an industry who made a profit because they produced the best products bar none.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

People Like This 
Old 01-21-2014, 02:52 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2484 Times on 1457 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

My only real basis for comparison is my S&W revolvers. The fit and finish of my older guns is superior to the newer models I've seen.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

Old 01-21-2014, 04:05 PM   #9

Liked 1070 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1092

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
I'm posting this here, because, despite the fact we have umpteen different folders in this forum, there is no "General Firearms Talk" forum. Since this thread concerns all types of firearms, and not specifically rifles, pistols, or shotguns (or .22's or auto rifles or revolvers or semi-autos or concealed carry or . . . ) I can't find a "firearms" folder to stick it in.

But enough of my preliminary gripe. My larger old grit rant here is: Doesn't it seem to you that they made guns better in the "old days" than they do now? Don't get me wrong -- there are still some top quality weapons out there (if you want to pay an arm and a leg) but generally the fit, finish, and performance of guns these days is not up to what it was in, say the 40's through early 60's.

I think the earlier bluing was better; the woods used for stocks was nicer; the actions seemed smoother. They had a better "feel".

This may be one reason why the older Smith and Colt revolvers are priced outrageously nowdays.

As I've stated before, most of the guns I buy these days are "vintage". New one's just don't have the same appeal to me.

So . . . do you agree that they don't make 'um like they used to, or is this thought another symptom of my lapsing into cootism.
Only time will tell by how many of the ones made today are still around & shooting a 100 years from now !.............

When all else fails.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:08 PM   #10

Liked 1070 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1092

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2b View Post
Its a ghost gun lol they didn't make that back in the old days

EZ
And they shoot 30 30 round clips in under a sec..............

When all else fails.