Awesome Video: Crow In Need Of Help Asks A Human! - Page 3

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Awesome Video: Crow In Need Of Help Asks A Human!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2013, 03:56 AM   #21
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8311 Times on 4803 Posts
Likes Given: 10769

Check this out: http://news.discovery.com/animals/zoo-animals/angry-crows-memory-life-threatening-behavior-110628.htm

Quote:
THE GIST:

- Crows remember the faces of "dangerous humans," with the memories likely lasting for a bird's lifetime.

- Crows may scold people who threaten them, bringing in relatives and even strangers to mob the person.

- The crows within mobs then indirectly learn about the person, so they too associate that individual's face with danger and react accordingly.

Crows remember the faces of threatening humans and often react by scolding and bringing in others to mob the perceived miscreant, according to a new study published in the latest Proceedings of the Royal Society B.

Since the mob members also then indirectly learn about the threatening person, the findings demonstrate how just a single crow's bad experience with a particular human can spread information about this individual throughout entire crow communities.

Given that crows have impressive memories, people who ruffle the feathers of these birds could experience years of retribution.

Bothered crows may at first "give harsh calls, which we call 'scolds' that attract other crows who are nearby to join in the mob," according to study co-author John Marzluff. "The mob of two to 15 birds hounds us, sometimes diving from the sky to within a few meters or less -- This pursuit lasts about 100 meters (328 feet) as we walk away."
NEWS: Crows Are Feathered Engineers

Marzluff is a professor at the University of Washington's School of Forest Resources. For the study, he and colleagues Heather Cornell and Shannon Pecoraro exposed wild crows to a novel "dangerous face" by wearing a unique mask as they trapped, banded and released seven to 15 birds at five study sites near Seattle.

The released birds immediately scolded the mask wearer. Hearing the racket, other crows joined, forming an angry mob.

When the researchers later put on other masks while traveling to different areas, crows that were never captured immediately recognized the "dangerous face," illustrating how these birds learned through social means and not as a result of direct experience. Both relatives and strangers joined in the scolding and mobbing, which could occur over a mile away from the original incident.

Once such a face is locked into a crow's memory, it's likely there for good.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:37 AM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2470 Times on 1604 Posts

So that's why they avoid me. I blasted one years ago, and they have avoided my area ever since. The caw as they fly over my house, not immediately before or after.

Seriously, I can be outside seeing crows for half an hour while playing with the dog and the kid, go inside and grab a rifle, come back out, and they are gone. Repeatly.

Feral cat waterboarder

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 10-18-2013, 07:50 AM   #23

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I shot a crow once, with a bb gun. Didn't mean to kill it as I only pumped it one time. They must have think skin because I hit it right in the throat and it bled out in about 30 seconds. After that, what I assume were his buddies started cawing at me constantly, probably calling me crow curse words. I honestly felt bad seeing as I wasn't trying to kill it.

I can't remember if I killed the crow before or after one took a dump on my work uniform first thing in the morning about 5 minutes before my shift. Retribution maybe? I mean it stuck just its behind right over the edge of the street lamp and nailed me on the shoulder.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 466 Times on 340 Posts
Likes Given: 153

My grandmother was very respectful and fearful of crows and ravens, she said her grandmother told her when she was a little girl, that they carried the souls of the dead ,, kind of like a Purgatory and reflected the personality of the dead person being carried by the bird.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #25
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 699 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Yup. Porcupine quills.

Apparently the crow was pestering them to help him out. Crows are some of the smartest birds known. They will even use crude tools to get food- this has been observed in the wild. Not too long ago it was thought that only primates used tools.
A new study also seems to suggest they have a complicated language with regional dialects.

Turns out there some things about our world we don't know the depths of, like animal intelligence.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

People Like This 
Old 10-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #26
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8311 Times on 4803 Posts
Likes Given: 10769

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazul42 View Post
My grandmother was very respectful and fearful of crows and ravens, she said her grandmother told her when she was a little girl, that they carried the souls of the dead ,, kind of like a Purgatory and reflected the personality of the dead person being carried by the bird.
The connection between the dead and crows or ravens generally comes from their carrion diet. Battlefields in ancient times were teeming with the birds eating the flesh of the fallen. This from Wiki:
Quote:
Odin was also closely linked to ravens because in Norse myths he received the fallen warriors at Valhalla, and ravens were linked with death and war due to their predilection for carrion. It is consequently likely that they were regarded as manifestations of the valkyries, goddesses who chose the valiant dead for military service in Valhalla.[4] A further connection between ravens and Valkyries was indicated in the shapeshifting abilities of goddesses and Valkyries, who could appear in the form of birds.[5]

The raven appears in almost every skaldic poem describing warfare.

I think all cultures have connections between the dead and ravens.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:30 PM   #27

Liked 23 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm am asatru so yes in fact Odin is also called the raven god because he has 2 ravens guying and munin they fly around the world each day then at the end they return to him and tell him what they see ravens are a important part of odinism/asatru even one of the symbols is of a raven