Australian twins shot at Denver range - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Australian twins shot at Denver range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2010, 09:46 AM   #11
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7141 Times on 4298 Posts
Likes Given: 8669

"The women had been to the shooting range before and knew how to use the pistols they had rented, said Doug Hamilton, the gun range's owner."

This kind of rules out my thinking that it was a case where someone thinks because the magazine is out that the weapon is unloaded but there is one round left in the chamber. (If chamber is the right word here. I'm new to guns and not always sure of my lingo.) I thought maybe they were teasing each other and pointed the guns at each other and pulled the trigger not knowing there was still a round in there. I know to never point a gun at someone EVER unless I intend on shooting them but not every follows that rule. Wouldn't the women have some sort of ID's on them at the range if they rented a gun or do you have to leave ID's at the desk until the gun is returned? It's terrible that no one knows yet which one is dead and also one wonders if the one who did not die will ever be 'well' enough to tell the story of what happened.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:59 AM   #12

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Default Well put

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
"The women had been to the shooting range before and knew how to use the pistols they had rented, said Doug Hamilton, the gun range's owner."

This kind of rules out my thinking that it was a case where someone thinks because the magazine is out that the weapon is unloaded but there is one round left in the chamber. (If chamber is the right word here. I'm new to guns and not always sure of my lingo.) I thought maybe they were teasing each other and pointed the guns at each other and pulled the trigger not knowing there was still a round in there. I know to never point a gun at someone EVER unless I intend on shooting them but not every follows that rule. Wouldn't the women have some sort of ID's on them at the range if they rented a gun or do you have to leave ID's at the desk until the gun is returned? It's terrible that no one knows yet which one is dead and also one wonders if the one who did not die will ever be 'well' enough to tell the story of what happened.
rule number 1

i have seen the light

Old 11-17-2010, 11:07 AM   #13
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7141 Times on 4298 Posts
Likes Given: 8669

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleytxrialover View Post
rule number 1
Yep. But people do stupid things.

The first three things told to me before my friend even handed me a gun.

1.) Never point a gun at anyone or anything you don't intend to shoot.

2.) When first handed a gun, always check to be sure it's empty even if you just saw the person handing it to you check it.

3.) Keep your finger out of the trigger until you are ready to shoot the gun.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:41 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5686 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 377

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
I guess this is just illustrative of cultural differences, but I find this strange from a local perpective - you'd hear the howls of outraged protest from miles away if that happened here and the range was not closed. Not making any judgement, just stating the differences.
firearms are a big part of our culture and except for a wackjob minority who believe that inanimate objects have minds of their own its no big deal here. guns are a tool just like a hammer or a steak knife. if it turns out that someone stalked and hunted them down to murder them then there will be an outrage. but if its a suicide our society generally doesnt care. the only thing that will stand out about it here was the fact that it is a set of twins that may have committed suicide. it is a terrible thing to happen and have no doubt our media will file that story away for the next attempt to ban guns. then they will trot it out years from now and pretend it happened yesterday.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:50 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Sad and weird. I will be interested to hear what exactly happened.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:00 PM   #16
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1914 Times on 1105 Posts
Likes Given: 3905

When I watched the video and re-read the article.

Did the women always take a cab to the gun range?

Every range I have been at a shooting position is occupied by the shooter and if there is another, i.e. the trainer or spotter!

Remember the phrase: "Calm before the storm", A sudden change in attitude and behavior. It means the person has already made the decision to die and feels relief that their pain can finally be over.

Suicide (Latin suicidium, from sui caedere, "to kill oneself") is the act of a human being intentionally causing his or her own death. Suicide is often committed out of despair, or attributed to some underlying mental disorder which includes depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, alcoholism and drug abuse. Financial difficulties, interpersonal relationships and other undesirable situations play a significant role.

News from AOL

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/twins-in-apparent-suicide-pact-in-colorado-one-lives-but-which-one/19722029

"It was not known why they were in Colorado. They had been staying at a motel about five miles away and arrived at the range Monday in a cab. The taxi driver told investigators he noticed nothing unusual about the pair, police said."

Last edited by Bigcountry02; 11-17-2010 at 06:09 PM.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:16 PM   #17

Why is this advertised as a shooting? The article even says self inflicted gunshots so they had a suicide pact or something.

the article is VERY misleading.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:43 PM   #18

Just out of curiosity zhuk, how hard would it have been for these two ladies to duplicate this in your country?? If it turns out to be a double suicide attempt, would it have been as easy to do down there? Rent the weapons and all?

The location is the puzzler for me. If this was something they had planned for some time, there must have been a reason to do it in the states.

No matter the cause, its a hell of a tragedy!

"The older I get, The better I was"

Old 11-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That range is where I shoot most often. I've met the owner, he was in fact the man that taught my three older sisters and myself's gun safety class. It's a terrible incident that will hopefully be cleared up soon.

The truth will set you free, but first it's going to piss you off.

"Time to nut up or shut up." - Tallahassee

"Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid." - The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
I'm a man, I see it as my obligation to like guns. And they are just so fun.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:40 PM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
firearms are a big part of our culture and except for a wackjob minority who believe that inanimate objects have minds of their own its no big deal here. guns are a tool just like a hammer or a steak knife. if it turns out that someone stalked and hunted them down to murder them then there will be an outrage. but if its a suicide our society generally doesnt care. the only thing that will stand out about it here was the fact that it is a set of twins that may have committed suicide. it is a terrible thing to happen and have no doubt our media will file that story away for the next attempt to ban guns. then they will trot it out years from now and pretend it happened yesterday.

Well there you are. Here it IS the tool which would be blamed...as John Howard famously said after passing the 1996 laws, "I hate guns, they're evil."

I'm actually suprised the Greens haven't made mileage out of this as yet - they (plus the 'Coalition for Gun Control') are usually the first to start ranting about bans when something like this happens overseas. Maybe they realise that pushing this in the face of a grieving Australian family is a political bridge too far, even for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenhesr View Post
Just out of curiosity zhuk, how hard would it have been for these two ladies to duplicate this in your country?? If it turns out to be a double suicide attempt, would it have been as easy to do down there? Rent the weapons and all?

The location is the puzzler for me. If this was something they had planned for some time, there must have been a reason to do it in the states.

No matter the cause, its a hell of a tragedy!

I won't say it would be IMpossible, but it would be extremely difficult. There are no public commercial ranges here where you can just 'walk in' and have a shoot. Of the few indoor ranges that do exist, you must already be licensed to gain admittance, and that means the mandatory theory and safety courses & naturally club membership (competitive use being the only legal & genuine reason allowed) plus in the case of handguns a compulsory 6 month probationary period must be observed where you are highly monitored and scrutinised in competition, and you must supply the range with written confirmation from your club of membership and the fact they are vouching for you.

An unlicensed person may shoot on an approved range (not the commercial indoor variety though) but you are watched like a hawk under the direct one-on-one supervision of the club's RO. At my club that extends to only 2 shoots with either pistol/rifle before you must join the club and start the long, involved process of gaining your licence, and the club will not sign off on you to the Firearms Registry for that licence if they have any doubts about you whatsoever. We know all too well that any suspect decision about members only puts the whole sport at political risk for every shooter.

This (by comparison) relative ease of access in the States may well provide the reason you suggest?

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Last edited by zhuk; 11-17-2010 at 09:45 PM.