Australian Cyclone - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Australian Cyclone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 03:08 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3482 Times on 1610 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Damn guys! Stay as safe as you can and don't be afraid to stock up a few supplies if you can in case you need to last a few days without support.

We will keeping you in our thoughts and hoping you and your families escaped unscathed.

Good luck and Godspeed!!

Please check in when you can and let us know how you are doing if at all possible.

JD

Old 02-02-2011, 06:17 AM   #12

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Update

The tropical storm is now bigger than Tasmania, one of Australia's states. The storm surge is now expected to be 6 metres (over 18 feet) above sea level, and this will also coincide with tonight's high tide. Constant winds are predicted to measure 260 km/h (160m/h), with gusts reaching 400 km/h (250mph). The energy released from the storm in the past two days would be enough to power the entire planet for the next year

Hopefully no lives are lost :fingers crossed:

Old 02-02-2011, 09:21 AM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusLach View Post
The tropical storm is now bigger than Tasmania, one of Australia's states. The storm surge is now expected to be 6 metres (over 18 feet) above sea level, and this will also coincide with tonight's high tide. Constant winds are predicted to measure 260 km/h (160m/h), with gusts reaching 400 km/h (250mph). The energy released from the storm in the past two days would be enough to power the entire planet for the next year

Hopefully no lives are lost :fingers crossed:

Un-freaking-believable when you read about it isn't it. On the evening news it was reported that the storm was the size of most of North America (huh?) which seemed incredible, until I found this overlay

and Euro comparison

Supposedly they are in for a 3 hour thrashing then 1 hour of calm eye then another 3 hours. The pressure differential could be enough to cause lighter structures to implode...

I wait with growing foreboding for the late news reports

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 02-02-2011, 09:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
Un-freaking-believable when you read about it isn't it. On the evening news it was reported that the storm was the size of most of North America (huh?) which seemed incredible, until I found this overlay

and Euro comparison

Supposedly they are in for a 3 hour thrashing then 1 hour of calm eye then another 3 hours. The pressure differential could be enough to cause lighter structures to implode...

I wait with growing foreboding for the late news reports
I know, we're going to be hearing and seeing some pretty ugly reports come morning I'll wager.. Poor bastards will be copping it hard.

I heard Bligh on the news imploring people to stay under cover for at least the next 24 hours, she's worried everyone will come out after the first side has hit and think the eye of the cyclone is the end of it.

I tell ya, she may have been under fire over the past couple of years from the QLD public but after her performance during the past month I reckon she'll be in Federal politics by the end of the year. She has really personified the Aussie fighting spirit, I think it's a credit to her

Last edited by AusLach; 02-02-2011 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Spulleng

Old 02-02-2011, 09:43 AM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusLach View Post
I know, we're going to be hearing and seeing some pretty ugly reports come morning I'll wager.. Poor bastards will be copping it hard.

I heard Blithe on the news imploring people to stay under cover for at least the next 24 hours, she's worried everyone will come out after the first side has hit and think the eye of the cyclone is the end of it.

I tell ya, she may have been under fire over the past couple of years from the QLD public but after her performance during the past month I reckon she'll be in Federal politics by the end of the year. She has really personified the Aussie fighting spirit, I think it's a credit to her

Hey I agree with you Aus. She's done her State proud...a whole lot better than Gillard's wooden "deer-in-the-headlights-I've-got-a-rod-up-my-arse" performance. Or is that just me lol

I suppose its best to spell everything out. Bligh calmly told everybody "not to panic when your roof blows off", which while true, might be being a little optimistic heh.

But some people have got that 'eff-you' sense of humour I see...classic

Quote:
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 02-02-2011, 09:44 AM   #16

Liked 3740 Times on 1828 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

You folks really need to do some serious sacrificial appeasing to Mother Nature for whatever transgressions you may have committed!

That storm is an absolute monster I sure hope the folks along the coast have prepared themselves as best they can.

Good luck and prayers and thoughts are with you.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 02-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #17

The guys up north are about to cop a serious hiding over the next 10-12 hours, the cyclone has just crossed the coast. Hopefully when we wake up there won't be any lives lost, but with the size of the storm that's doubtful

Cyclone Yasi: Category Five Cyclone | Yasi Damaging Nth Qld

Old 02-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Zhuk, that overlay is mind blowing......ive got a couch you're welcome to.....

Old 02-02-2011, 09:38 PM   #19

Default Encouraging news at first light

Queensland takes stock after night of terror - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Old 02-03-2011, 04:11 AM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Very encouraging Aus. No reports as yet of deaths or even injuries, and although they haven't got into some smaller communities which are cut off and it's still early that's quite something, considering.

Let's hope it stays that way.

Some photos

Quote: