Australia: I think not.... - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Australia: I think not....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 04:50 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyS74 View Post
Had a friend that went to Australia with her fiance and second day she got bit my a toxic spider and went to the hospital for about 2 weeks her fiance got kicked in the ribs by a roo a cpl days later broke 14 ribs but they still got married just in hospital beds.
This is exactly what I'm talking about, right here.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:02 PM   #42

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by cddbrowns View Post
Went there for a week, then 3 more days in Tasmania. LOVED it! I would live there in a heartbeat, and everyone was really nice to us. They dont hate Americans, they agree with a lot that we do, and completely back us up. Its America part 2. I have often thought of moving there with the way this country is going....no lie.
Really??

I have never heard anybody that came back from there who didn't say they got flack and attitude for being from the US. One of the female's friends took to telling people they were from Vancouver, Canada instead of Washington State.

Good to know.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:35 PM   #43

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Really??

I have never heard anybody that came back from there who didn't say they got flack and attitude for being from the US. One of the female's friends took to telling people they were from Vancouver, Canada instead of Washington State.

Good to know.
Granted I was in the Navy at the time, but didnt have one problem at all, and in fact, got free drinks, people were just plain awesome. You have to go to somewhere like Perth though, Sydney is tourist area and people hate them there, west side is where to go.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:39 PM   #44

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by cddbrowns View Post
Granted I was in the Navy at the time, but didnt have one problem at all, and in fact, got free drinks, people were just plain awesome. You have to go to somewhere like Perth though, Sydney is tourist area and people hate them there, west side is where to go.
Ahhhhh, that explains the difference. The people in question were in Sydney for some stupid art exhibit at that big white dome thing on the water.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:58 PM   #45

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Really??

Good to know.
It's hard to quantify, but we have a bit of a love/hate relationship with you guys. Please don't be offended here, because I'll try to explain it, but I'll have to talk in sweeping generalisations

I think a lot of Aussies are affronted by the in-your-face attitude which a lot of Americans display. We're a pretty laid back bunch so when someone who is (overtly) confident and open with them straight off the bat is somewhat confronting. We also have a culture down here of 'tall poppy syndrome' where if someone is very successful, the habit is to bring them back down to our level by ridiculing or undermining them. In no way is this intended to be malicious, it's just a strange way of promoting equity I guess lol.

To put it simply, come over here and act like the stereotypical movie sports jock or Tom Cruise, and expect the cold shoulder. If you don't act like you're the best thing since sliced bread, and bring with you your thick skin and the ability to laugh at yourself, and you'll find that we're some of the most hospitable people on the planet.

If you can stick it out on this forum, you'll do fine in Oz. And I'd be honoured to go to the pub and have a drink with any one of you guys.