Australia Day
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Australia Day

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 10:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Australia Day

Our (kind of) National Day...where we celebrate the landing of a boatload of England's finest thieves, swindlers and assorted other criminal refuse on our fair shores

But maybe it shouldn't really be January 26...as this makes a good case for Feb 6 aka "The Foundation Orgy":

Quote:
If Australians are to commemorate anything to do with the First Fleet landing, then surely it is the events of February 6, 1788. This date amounts to Australia's first public, though unofficial, holiday.

It was on this day that the womenfolk, 189 of the total of 732 convicts, first set foot on Australian soil. Many of the women had been dispatched to penal servitude in Australia for prostitution or minor thefts. Most had been transported on The Lady Penrhyn, the vessel on which Arthur Bowes-Smyth served as surgeon.

Bowes-Smyth wrote of the feverish scenes as the ladies made landfall:

"They were dressed in general very clean and some few amongst them might said to be well dressed. The men convicts got to them very soon after they landed, and it is beyond my abilities to give a just description of the scene of debauchery and riot that ensued that night."

lol

Yeah that seems more uh, appropropriate somehow

I was glad to see that the SAS Trooper who won the VC was awarded "Young Australian of the Year"...now that's well deserved. What he did was balls-to-the-wall bravery worthy of the highest honour.

Thank god it wasn't a bloody cricketer this time!

For bravery under enemy attack in Afghanistan

DAN OAKES

January 26, 2010

WHEN Trooper Mark Donaldson, VC, urges Australians to consider how lucky they are, he speaks with a great deal of authority.

The Special Air Services trooper was named Young Australian of the Year last night, a year after winning the Victoria Cross, the armed forces' highest honour, for bravery shown on the battlefield in Afghanistan.

''I think we've lost sight of the good things in life,'' Trooper Donaldson told the Herald as he stood on the front lawn of Parliament House.

''We've got it pretty good here, and we shouldn't forget that.''

Trooper Donaldson became the 96th Australian Victoria Cross winner after exposing himself to enemy fire to draw it away from trapped and wounded comrades.

On September 2, 2008, the 30-year-old was travelling in a combined Afghan, US and Australian convoy through Oruzgan province in Afghanistan when insurgents sprang an ambush, pinning the patrol down with machine-guns and rocket-propelled grenades.

Trooper Donaldson ran from one position of cover to another, engaging the attackers and, in the words of the citation, ''bought enough time for those wounded to be moved to relative safety''.

When the patrol was able to extract itself, the vehicles were so full of wounded troops that able-bodied soldiers, including Trooper Donaldson, were forced to run alongside them.

But Trooper Donaldson spotted a severely injured Afghan interpreter lying on the ground and ran 80 metres across exposed ground to rescue the man, then took him back to a vehicle and performed first aid on him, before re-entering the fight.

Trooper Donaldson said the year since he won the Victoria Cross had brought an increased workload, but that was something he welcomed.

Mark Donaldson, VC | Young Australian of the Year | Afghanistan

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-25-2010, 11:01 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Well, Happy Aussie Day to our much beloved friends down under.

Also, a blessing for Trooper Donaldson for his bravery and service. Many do not know that Australia has been the US's best ally for many, many years.

Cheers, Zhuk and have a Fosters and a prawn for me!

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 01-25-2010, 11:11 PM   #3

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Woot zhuk!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-25-2010, 11:18 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Many thanks, skull!

Believe me, I'd be knocking em back today along with the rest of the population if I could drink...guess I'll just have to be content to watch the drunken antics of friends

Discovered 'Foundation Orgy Day' is even more appropriate...it was the start of the great aussie tradition of "taking a sickie":

Quote:
So there you have it. Forget the earnest flag raising ceremonies and proclamations on behalf of King George III. Australian settlement really began with a rum-fuelled orgy. That night only two hundred of the six hundred convicts on work details bothered to turn up for duty. A grand time was had by all.

Remarkably, the events of February 6, 1788 bear a stunning similarity to the type of celebration Australians enjoy on Australia Day now.

locals in their native habitat

Quote:
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 01-25-2010, 11:22 PM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Happy Australia Day Zhuk!!

Congrats and heart felt thanks to Special Air Services trooper Donaldson on his courage, bravery and his receiving the Victoria Cross!

I'll hoist a couple pints of Pale Ale in honor of both!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:06 AM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Great stories zhuk! Happy Australia Day my brother! And good luck on Feb 6th repeating history.

JD

Old 01-26-2010, 12:16 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Congratulations!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-26-2010, 12:38 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Happy Australia day!!

Old 01-26-2010, 12:39 AM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks my esteemed forum brothers! Will do my best to celebrate any way I can.

Now please guys, no one take this the wrong way...far be it for me to cast any aspersions on your great & wonderful country but there's definately something to be said for being settled by a bunch of rum-swilling, debauched felons rather than religious puritans

But maybe that's just my inevitably debased upbringing lol

Quote:

Old 01-26-2010, 06:07 AM   #10

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
Thanks my esteemed forum brothers! Will do my best to celebrate any way I can.

Now please guys, no one take this the wrong way...far be it for me to cast any aspersions on your great & wonderful country but there's definitely something to be said for being settled by a bunch of rum-swilling, debauched felons rather than religious puritans.

But maybe that's just my inevitably debased upbringing lol

Well apparently sir, you have not met my ancestors. Half was already here before the religious puritans showed up and the other half showed up here to get away from religious puritans, starvation and them damn, pesky Leprechauns.

Happy Aussie Day brother Zhuk!!

Congrats, much respect and admiration and big thanks to Special Air Services trooper Donaldson for his bravery, selflessness and dedication. HOOAHH!!

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”