Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Australia (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/australia-28314/)

AusLach 06-15-2010 02:05 AM

Australia

Hey guys this thread is for all of you who would like to know a little bit more about shooting and hunting in Oz and anything else relevant to Australia.
As far as I can tell it's only zhuk and myself on here but we'll do our best to answer anything you have for us.

stalkingbear 06-15-2010 02:40 AM

I'd like to know how yall can go out hunting with rifles. Do you have to call or get permission to go hunt or shoot every time? Or is that just for handguns?

AusLach 06-15-2010 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 300056)
I'd like to know how yall can go out hunting with rifles. Do you have to call or get permission to go hunt or shoot every time? Or is that just for handguns?

If you are licensed to own a rifle you can borrow anyone elses, or carry your own to hunt on private property as long aas you have permission from the landowner. No handguns for hunting out here, only for target or LE use..
You can hunt just about any feral game without calibre restrictions including rabbits and foxes (normally under spotlight), wild dog and dingoes, wild boar, deer feral cattle and buffalo.. The buffalo and cattle normally only occur in the northern parts of Australia, however you can find anything else just about anywhere.

saviorslegacy 06-15-2010 02:57 AM

Is there a Kangaroo season?

skullcrusher 06-15-2010 03:01 AM

Actually, there (off the top of my head) there are a couple of other Aussies on board here. The names escape me, but zhuk is the most prevalent.

I've seen some hunting shows from down under and that funky island nearby. I would love to hunt either place. Cool game, awesome vistas and the ladies! :D

Great pic. Glad to have you around! :)

AusLach 06-15-2010 03:10 AM

Yeah New Zealand has some great game to offer as well. Kangaroos are actually illegal to shoot unless you are a professional roo shooter.. To become one you need to pass a college course on safe game meat handling as all roos shot go to either the petfood industry or to restaurants. You also have to pass a firearms proficiency test. The only other way to shoot them is if you are a landholder and acquire tags for them due to them eating your crops, they can do quite a lot of damage. There are many idiots however, esp. from the city that do go out and blast away illegally but most people who live on the land do not.

saviorslegacy 06-15-2010 04:02 AM

Let me guess, you are allowed to shoot dingos all year long and there is no bag limit.
That is how it is with yotes around here.

So what do you hunt in the land down under?
Hmmm, are you allawed to shoot a Crocodile?

AusLach 06-15-2010 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saviorslegacy (Post 300090)
Let me guess, you are allowed to shoot dingos all year long and there is no bag limit.
That is how it is with yotes around here.

So what do you hunt in the land down under?
Hmmm, are you allawed to shoot a Crocodile?

Yeah thats right, but they aren't as plentiful as what your coyotes seem to be.. I like spotlighting for rabbits and foxes, whistling foxes, and stalking pigs, goats and deer where I hunt, thats about as much fun as you can have with a few mates over a weekend I reckon..

No we can't hunt crocs, they were hunted almost to extinction in the 60's and 70's due to the skin trade so it was banned. There's plenty of other dangerous game up in the Northern Territory but, like buffalo, feral cattle and wild boar.

I'm a bit unlike most Aussie hunters in that nearly all of the hunting I do is just for pest control, a lot of others look for trophies. If I do take a good head or if a pig has a nice set of tusks I will usually just take a few photos but thats the only trophies I keep. Except for my springbok which I'm still waiting to get here from my trip to South Africa! :D

Pigs are the big exception to trophy hunters though, in that the main objective if anyone comes across a mob of pigs is to put as many on the ground as quickly as possible because almost everyone knows how much damage they can do to farming areas.

zhuk 06-16-2010 12:11 AM

Hey nice thread, Aus! Interesting to hear about hunting here, as I know very little personally. My club does have a hunting component; mostly pigs from what I've heared. Now I'm licensed I do have a standing invitation from my Coolah cousin to help him dispatch some ferals sometime though :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullcrusher (Post 300062)
I've seen some hunting shows from down under and that funky island nearby. I would love to hunt either place. Cool game, awesome vistas and the ladies! :D

Not forgetting those lucky Enzed'ers can have access to black/evil awesomeness :eek:

Bastards!