You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

For audiophiles mainly !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2016, 04:33 AM   #1
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7381 Times on 3821 Posts
Likes Given: 32312

Default For audiophiles mainly !

First off , I think a picture is nessessary ok ? As in the picture , the big black box is a Velodine 18 inch , 3000 watt peak power with 2 1/2 inch excursion . It is rated at 2% total distortion at 120 decibels . To give you an idea , the threshold of pain is 115 decibels , 120 can render a person unconscious . Anyhow , we had a nasty little thunderstorm and lightening struck our power pole . It fried the transformer on the pole with a loud explosion . When power resumed , I checked my equipment for damage . I have exceptional protection against all things but something happened to my sub-out unit , the power that sends signals to my sub-woofer ! It was stuck and full power pulsing at over 125 decibels ! It broke a few windows and some China , Nicky-Nacky things before I could get to the breaker ! My neighbors thought a plane had crashed or something ! Eeeek.!

I spent seven hours today rewireing my unit from sub-out optical hookup to direct in line wiring and since I had built the wall around my equipment , it took awhile fishing eight wires through the wall but SUCCESS ! I can again torment my neighbors ! I'll try to include my back wall array , bad ass !
File Type: jpg image.jpg (41.8 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by dango; 05-29-2016 at 05:42 AM.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-29-2016, 05:55 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1796 Times on 922 Posts

Maybe just a little jealous.... Imagine if if it were some La Scala's or Klipsch Horns that got hit by lightning!!!

My dream setup would be some Maggie's but the power needed to run a sub to keep up is kinda pricey. You can put a ribbon tweeter (with a solid state crossover) on top of a Magnapan and the sound quality is unreal with just average amps.
dango Likes This 
Old 05-29-2016, 06:03 AM   #3

Default The back wall !

Very hard to get a good picture ,too much junk in the way ! There are two Logan Martin M40 s floor standing and the Small boxes above them are Martin Logan quadripoles same match as front speakers except the two Martin Logan book shelf speakers witch I run both as my center speakers .

No I'm not rich , it was my specialty in my business .people would give me money to design entire packages , the custom anything you want cabinet and all the video and audio components . Good thing about buying whole systems , speakers , the video or TV and to build beautiful furniture or whole wall or sometimes whole rooms filled with sound , and very top end sound ! I once had a client over the phone while at a top of the line audio shops asking what was his cash limit ? I spent 120,000 on him alone ! Don't care if you believe it or not but let's move on ! Spending that much money opened the door for me to squeeze in a part or two at stupid discount prices . I built my whole system buy getting huge discounts on whole package deals . Like some hang out at gun shops , I was hanging at video audio shops regularly . It was a big part of my business . I'd built quite a few whole room systems and many custom furnishings over the years . I could not have afforded anything I have here if it weren't for spending so much money , clients money that I even got some things thrown in for free ! I'd been an audio Phile since my teens and always had nice sound systems , always ! I love music , too much and it worked out so well , truly blessed to incorporate my hobbies ,my passions as a way to earn a living ! I really miss my business like nobody can ever know but hey ,I did it !
Well back down to earth , my humble back wall!
File Type: jpg image.jpg (42.2 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by dango; 05-29-2016 at 04:35 PM.
People Like This 
Old 05-29-2016, 06:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTop View Post
Maybe just a little jealous.... Imagine if if it were some La Scala's or Klipsch Horns that got hit by lightning!!!

My dream setup would be some Maggie's but the power needed to run a sub to keep up is kinda pricey. You can put a ribbon tweeter (with a solid state crossover) on top of a Magnapan and the sound quality is unreal with just average amps.
I was lucky enough to build a business with the quite rich cliental to own what I have . It is my dream system except the video , had to settle for an 80 inch ! Dang ! That sub-woofer , it was $3600 but because the guy let me spend so much on his system , they threw in that extra sub for a mere $1,100 . I bought three of them that day , two for my client and the other for me . I never once took a nickel from any client ! NEVER ! Spending that kind of money they (the audio video shops) get mighty glad to throw me a bone or two but then they knew I'd be back , like I said , it was business . A great business !

Another believe it or not , I got a free Blue-Ray DVD player thrown in a deal for free , a Pioneer Elite DV-79 , list price $1,100 ! You have to understand , I did this for a living and my clients were all by word of mouth ! Make them happy , be honest , give them more than their money's worth , free lessons on how it all works and believe me , they kept me running on technical help , these were some mighty complex systems and I did it complimentary , free , keep them happy at all times , my lively hood depended upon my reputation !
Had I not invested in that sub-woofer I would have really considered the La Scalas , 3 way system , 15 inch woofers , 2 inch mid range and 1 inch tweeter , sweet !
I do love those bullet proof indestructible horns they make ! I just went for strong mid and upper range , that sub I have goes below human hearing , 10 Hz !

We should talk , love audio , wired everything , kitchen , office , home theater room , back portch ,fire pit , shop , spent bazillions on speaker wire but I LOVE IT .!

Last edited by dango; 05-29-2016 at 06:44 AM.
Quentin Likes This 
Old 05-29-2016, 08:40 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I wish I could spend what I really want on hifi equipment. The best I ever had was a Polk speaker system with an Integra receiver and Definitive Super cube sub. Pretty sure some nails were coming out of the studs in the walls. My brother had a Carver linear amp running 15" Martin Logan subs in stereo, said he went to the kitchen and a bomb went off in a movie and he went to the window just to double check.
People Like This 
Old 05-29-2016, 09:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTop View Post
I wish I could spend what I really want on hifi equipment. The best I ever had was a Polk speaker system with an Integra receiver and Definitive Super cube sub. Pretty sure some nails were coming out of the studs in the walls. My brother had a Carver linear amp running 15" Martin Logan subs in stereo, said he went to the kitchen and a bomb went off in a movie and he went to the window just to double check.
Once you've been spoiled , what can I say ? Because of the opertunities I had , I have way more than I could have ever dreamed of . I was truly , truly blessed like said . I was hooked on high-fidelity as a very young boy from a rather rich friend of mine . I remember the very first sound of a snare drum , the fingers sliding on the textured guitar string , the inhale of the vocalists ......I was hooked ! In 1974 , I spent $8,000 dollars on audio and I remember each piece Never out grew it , I still got it bad !

While running my humble business is when I had the biggest opertunities , so many kickbacks through my clients , just so many . You know how it works when you deal with mainly two high end shops , they get to know you well , first name basis , a regular at least every two months or six but the money my clients would spend was just good sales tricks . I had built an impressive personal system and when they were impressed their ego and wallets kicked in high gear , nothing like a very polite insult to get-ER done
Like , " and if YOU CAN AFFORD such an such , I can give you even better than I could ever dream of " LOL their ego and the thought of some minion having that , well ,
You know how it works .... They love to boast , gloat , brag , out do but it's business !
If I had a $$$$$$$ whatever I had and showed them , they sent me on my way with my professional opinion and just about anything practical but more $$$$$$$ than I had , I would personally pick piece by piece everything they needed and I loved it and my two audio dealers loved it ......man we had some good times ...........(sigh) ....I stayed honest and loyal , showed them every nickel spent and why , everybody happy and me proud and happy , damn I miss it ! Whaaaaaaa......sniffle....Whaaaaa....Umm , life goes on and I am adjusting ok but things will get better .....I have my woofer back and 7 on th rector scale ....!

Last edited by dango; 05-29-2016 at 09:38 AM.

Old 05-29-2016, 03:58 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

There was a shop I used to go into just to dream, the owner was very kind. He's since closed but here's a couple pics of his shop, most of the equipment seen has a price tag resembling a car! To those who have never experienced true hifi the difference is surreal.

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1464533849.401089.jpg
ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1464533862.989327.jpg
People Like This 
Old 05-29-2016, 04:06 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4350 Times on 2797 Posts

Nice set up, dango! I was into this in my younger days, but the cost shyed me away from the fun. Most of my money is now spent on guns, ammo, and alcohol. The rest I just waste.
People Like This 
Old 05-29-2016, 04:32 PM   #9

Oh yeah , I remember when vinyl was king , the older aficionados swore by it ! The turn tables were a creation of art and very top of the line mechanisms , like wow and flutter ratings , yeap , I had a PL 51 direct drive with out board Dolby units to record to my reel to reels . Sigh , them were the days .

And Primer , my system was my sales pitch , you bring your favorite CD , DVD , record album and let me rattle your dentures with pure , crisp , dynamic moving some air for a few minutes and if they were seriously considering investing , I hooked em ! all their purchases gave me huge purchasing power , these people were really wealthy . One guy had a hand made tapestry made some where's in the Middle East that cost more that any truck I ever owned ! Worked one private Islands like Key Waden and a few others . Pain in the azz if you forgot something back at the shop , no road only water and a ferry , brings you there in the morning , brings you back to mainland end of the day . It was a real pain sometimes , any problem would have to wait another day , crazy rich people that ain't always the most polite folk , had to damn near walk on water for these ..........supreme beings ! Ack ! Hear no evil , see no evil and don't speak unless spoken to ! I'll say no more but I was very good at what I did and darned proud of the things I did for some of them "BEINGS" ......!

On the bright side , these people had as large egos as they had bank accounts so a man got to do what a man got to do and silent with a smile !

THE END .........!

Old 05-29-2016, 04:40 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by dango View Post
It was a real pain sometimes , any problem would have to wait another day , crazy rich people that ain't always the most polite folk , had to damn near walk on water for these ..........supreme beings ! Ack ! Hear no evil , see no evil and don't speak unless spoken to ! I'll say no more but I was very good at what I did and darned proud of the things I did for some of them "BEINGS" ......!
.........!

Rabbit trail....

Customer came in the other day, "businessman" from south of the border. He made made a couple quick demands so I went to shake his hand and introduce myself, he looked at me like I was crazy and made another demand. Another salesman had the pleasure of assisting him....
dango Likes This