Attempted Home Invasion - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Attempted Home Invasion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 05:40 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Thanks for the advice Darin. I am moving March 1st (scheduled anyway) and I am super paranoid cuz the officer told me the same advice about them looking for revenge. One reason my complex was a target was we are at 2 major freeways so the perps can get away fairly quick headed to state line or out to henderson. and M14: I actually had a "verbal judo" training session at a police academy, teaches cops how to assert control verbally... I laughed when I learned it, but when **** hits the fan I was ready to try anythinig...

In god we trust, all others we monitor...

Old 02-21-2010, 05:48 AM   #22

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzll View Post
Thanks for the advice Darin. I am moving March 1st (scheduled anyway) and I am super paranoid cuz the officer told me the same advice about them looking for revenge. One reason my complex was a target was we are at 2 major freeways so the perps can get away fairly quick headed to state line or out to henderson. and M14: I actually had a "verbal judo" training session at a police academy, teaches cops how to assert control verbally... I laughed when I learned it, but when **** hits the fan I was ready to try anythinig...
I'm just glad you are OK.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:09 AM   #23

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

everyone laughs about "verbal judo" but that has saved my butt more than my gun has. But the big boy voice thing was classic.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 02-21-2010, 06:57 AM   #24
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yep there you go gang bangers hit an appartment because it had easy freeway access. That is what the LA mexican/black gangs are looking for in LV. I expect all the banks were closed and your apartemnt was the next best score.

It is a bit rude but the story is a bit much.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #25

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
That is why I hate that show....I won't even go into why I hate COPS!!!!
Dizz you did great. I can't give you any advice that hasn't already been given. When the S*** hits the fan it is amazing what you do with out even thinking about it.

Darin: The best thing about "COPS" is to use it as examples of what not to do in any given situation.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 02-21-2010, 10:09 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Dizzll:

I just recently finished my CHL class in Texas. Your story would be textbook on now to do it right. As to the LEO's off-the-record advice on dropping the bad-guys, I am not sure that would have been the right answer. I do NOT have any personal experience here, but killing someone (even if it is a bad guy) can be a traumatic experience, no matter how "right" you may have been. Not many people could do that and not have some long term issues to deal with. You did just fine!

TXnorton

Old 02-21-2010, 12:45 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2258 Times on 1228 Posts
Likes Given: 3525

Dizzll, you did good.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:16 PM   #28

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Good to hear your alright and sounds like you did the right thing. No need to fire if you can defend your position with out using deadly force.

A hispanic and a large black guy, LA gang members in Vegas kicking your door down seems like a reach but accpeted.
Unfortunately, it is an occurrence here in Las Vegas. At the apartment complex I formerly lived in on the east side of town, the out-of-state gangs made a very unwelcome entrance to the area. Break ins and home invasion robberies were nearly as common as walking down the street. Needless to say, I moved to the west side but now the gangs are encroaching from the north side of this area. The apartment next door to me had the door kicked in and robbed about a year ago. This happened in the middle of the day, according to the LEOs I chatted with when I came home that afternoon. The Lost Angeles gangs have "chapters" that have branched out and seem to have a liking for the environment here in Las Vegas. Plus, a lot of them will make the drive here, commit a crime and then drive back, especially if they think they can make a large score here.

Dizzll, you did everything right and don't let anyone tell you differently. You didn't have to shoot someone and then have to deal with that trauma later on. As for the Metro comment, that I can believe. Most of the officers I've had the chance to chat with pretty much say the same thing. If you feel you're in fear for your life and there's no other choice, pull the trigger. Quite a lot of Metro officers support private gun ownership and many will spend time chatting with you if you're OC while out and about in town. I had a long chat with a Metro motorcycle officer while in a Mickey D's some time back. We discussed the pros and cons between Sig (what I was OC) and Glock (his weapon).

Old 02-21-2010, 02:42 PM   #29

I live and work on a town that borders Chicago. There is a HUGE gang presence in the city and the bangers do travel outside the city to do alot of crime. I really haven't heard about too many home invasions here that were just random. Most of the time, here at least, they are gang or drug related. The majority of time we just have regular residential burglaries in which the burglars enter the home when they least expect somoeone to be there.
That sucks that in your part of the state these home invasions are so common. Like i said earlier, I think you did the perfect thing in response. The only advice I have would be to get a pump action, shorty shotgun like the Remington or Mossberg. I wonder if those bangers woulda stuck around if they heard you chamber a round into a shotty?
Most burglars/home invaders are looking for weak targets that present little or no resistance.
Anyways, great job keeping calm and doing all the right things.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:21 PM   #30

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Yep there you go gang bangers hit an appartment because it had easy freeway access. That is what the LA mexican/black gangs are looking for in LV. I expect all the banks were closed and your apartemnt was the next best score.

It is a bit rude but the story is a bit much.
WDB- I respect that you are entitled to your own opinion (this is the internet and people do lie), but I see you live in WA (hey according to COPS Pierce County is like South Central) and maybe you guys have a different demographic up there. I have no intention of sensationalizing this, I just wanted feedback from more experienced people on the forum. I'm not interested in your skepticism in what happened.

In god we trust, all others we monitor...