Attempted Home Invasion
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Attempted Home Invasion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 01:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Default Attempted Home Invasion

Hello, I'm new here but just thought I'd share a story of what happened to me a few weeks ago and maybe get thoughts on it. It's probably gonna be long but I will try to keep only releveant parts to shorten...
I live in an apartment, first floor, south of the strip in Vegas. My complex is considered upscale, has gates, and an unarmed security patrol. Ever since I have owned a gun, around 10pm or so I take it out of the safe, load it and place it next to my car keys, surefire light, and cellphone on my nightstand just "in case".
2 weeks ago around 11pm, I was flying the flight sim on my computer in my bedroom. I heard a very loud bang at the door. Now living in an apt you get used to sounds ie;yelling,fighting,etc.. but I was so convinced something was wrong I ran to the door with my gun and phone in hand. As I rounded the corner I have a straight shot to the door and could see it almost come off the hinges as it was being hit from the outside. Using my big-boy voice I yelled "Who the eff is it!?" I am a firefighter so I am only home half the time, so it is likely someone would guess I would not be home if they were casing my place. My peephole is hidden in the knocker so whoever is outside will not know I can see them.
I peered through the sight and saw a gangster looking hispanic guy smiling and then he started yelling for me to open the door because there was an emergency... I could also see him look and nod to someone at the side of my door I could not see. To make a long story short we yelled back and forth that I'm not openning the door, and he switched gears to well then I'm kicking it down. At this point I called 911 on speakerphone and told them I was armed and was sure to tell them I was "afraid for my life", for legal reasons in case the situation digressed further.
I then tried a different approach, I informed the thug that I had a gun and it was pointed at his head, and not to try to force entry. At this point a large black guy steps in front of my door and says "I got a gun too, mutha-effer!" Now I was really scared. These idiots know I'm armed and are still standing there trying to get in. At this point I pushed my couch in front of the door because I was worried they may try to get in through a window or the slider and wanted to reposition for assaults from any direction.
Luckily Vegas PD showed up and came in through the dark and dropped both guys prone. The cop told me officially I did the "right" thing but he off the record would have let them kick open the door and dropped them lol... He also said teh were Los Angeles gangmembers and that this has been happening a lot in Vegas. I then immediately went and bought a glock 19 and took the ccw class...
What would you guys have done differently? Just curious, also I KNOW now I can pull the trigger when the sh*t hits the fan. STAY SAFE!

In god we trust, all others we monitor...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-21-2010, 02:08 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If you didn't kill anybody, and they didn't kill you, and they are in jail, you dun good, regardless of what the LEO said. If you'd have let them come through with the intent of killing them, the streets would be cleaner but killing a guy is a big frigging deal to normal humans.
Have you moved yet?

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 02-21-2010, 02:08 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wow, glad it worked out the way it did. There's a thousand ways a situation like that could go bad in a big damn hurry. You did the right thing - the best gunfight is the one that never happens. No danger to your life, no moral consequences (even if you are prepared to do what's necessary, as anyone should be), and no paperwork.

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 02-21-2010, 02:24 AM   #4

I worry all the time that life is going on too normally and all is too well and something freaky like that is bound to happen out of the blue. Sounded like you acted nice & quick and were wonderfully prepared.

Your story also makes me glad I live out in the Styx. It is just unfathomable to me that thugs breaking into your house would still try to break in even after they discovered you were home and claimed you had a gun.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:28 AM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Thanks for the post. Scary stuff. Glad it worked out OK.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 02-21-2010, 02:32 AM   #6

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

wow well I'm glad everything worked out and I second what Gorknoids said, however the cop in me seconds what the cop told you. I do not in any way want to make you worry, but I would rather do that then have you unprepared.

Those guys won't stay in custody for long and they do know where you live. They do know you have a gun. They are probably pissed off and blame you for ruining their evening. At least, I'd keep my head on a swivel, keep myself armed (legally of course. If you don't have a CCW you damn sure have a good reason for one now) and move.

If anyone you don't immediately know approaches you in the near future, especially in your apt complex you better be ready to rock n' roll right now! Most gang shootings I have dealt with witnesses occur pretty much the same. Guy starts up a conversation with the victim from a distance and starts to approach during the course of the very short conversation. Once they are close enough they feel comfortable with taking a shot, they draw and bang. If you find yourself engaged by someone you don't know, keep your distance and watch your six. The hair on the back of your neck should be tickling your ear and your a$$hole should be clinched so tight you'd need a tractor to pull a needle from your butt.

This is the kind of stuff you need to mentally train for.

1. Breath, this is not the time you need tunnel vision...you need to see his buddy who is standing off to your side in the shadows.

2. Pay attention to your surroundings, you need to know where to go for cover if need be. You should always be doing this.

3. Look behind the person, if you start shooting and miss where are your bullets going to go.

4. Look at the subject and watch his hips and shoulders, any movement he makes will likely start there.

5. Pick out something on his shirt, "If I shoot your a$$ this is where I am putting two rounds." It is easier to hit center mass than a head.

6. Get your hand on your weapon. Don't draw down on some guy that is just overly friendly, but be ready if he goes sideways.

7. Be short and rude, if the guy still continues to be friendly then there is something up. How many people will continue to be friendly when some guy just told them, "No man I don't know what effing time it is. Go buy an effing watch."

Like I said, I am in no way trying to tell you you did anything wrong, you did great. I am not trying to make you scared for no reason, but I do want you to be aware that this might not and is most likely not over.

Best bet, move and move now...even if it's just to another apt in the same complex.

Be safe. Remember, "I would rather be tried by twelve, than carried by six."

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Last edited by DarinCraft; 02-21-2010 at 02:55 AM.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:41 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Gork and Darin have a point. A gang's biggest asset is it's reputation, and you put a black mark on these guys' records. Be aware at all times, and please stay safe.

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 02-21-2010, 03:15 AM   #8
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Good to hear your alright and sounds like you did the right thing. No need to fire if you can defend your position with out using deadly force.

A hispanic and a large black guy, LA gang members in Vegas kicking your door down seems like a reach but accpeted.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:23 AM   #9

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

This is why I can't watch "Gangland", I get paranoid as hell that my town is soon to be invaded.

Sounds like it made it's way to Vegas.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:34 AM   #10

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I'm glad you are OK. And still laughing over you using "your big boy voice".