attempted break in
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > attempted break in

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2011, 07:54 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default attempted break in

There was an attempt to break in my home last week and my dad nor I was home and only my sister was home she knows how to shoot but when I got home my I looked at the pistol she loaded to defend herself,and found she only loaded it with one round :facepalm: so now I just keep a youth pump 20 gauge with 7 rounds of 000 buck for her to use but I would rather have her use a more manageable pistol that she knows how to use than a forin (sorry for the misspellings) pump action just I am afraid she will make the same mistake in the heat of the moment

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-26-2011, 10:15 AM   #2

Default Dogs

Dogs can scare evil doers away and alert you prior to you having any knowledge of criminal activity. It is no replacement for training with guns, but it will help the lesser armed family members feel comfortable.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:55 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

The best thing I've done in some time was to adopt
two German Shepherds from the kill center in Orlando.
They are the greatest burglar alarms one can invest in,
plus a great joy and addition to the family. My buddies
go barking mad before anyone approaches the driveway,
let alone the front door to our home. The mailman, UPS,
and others are usually two houses away when the dogs
spring into action. Think about it for your sister's edge
in getting prepared for any attempted break-in next time.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:35 PM   #4

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default east tx burgler alarm

a sign stateing ''Warning Pit bull has full blown ''aids'' and bleeding gums !

Old 08-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #5

But alas where we live we are not aloud to have animals I believe that would be the best way to defend the home as well

Old 08-26-2011, 05:42 PM   #6

Why not just keep it loaded? And then tell her to just pull the slide? (im unaware of laws so maybe thats the problem)

Old 08-26-2011, 05:48 PM   #7

It is a revolver and I don't like the thought of the hammer resting on a live round

Old 08-26-2011, 06:00 PM   #8

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagenodland View Post
It is a revolver and I don't like the thought of the hammer resting on a live round
Keep the cassette with a blank tube. If it's a double action, all she has to do is start squeezing the trigger.

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Old 08-26-2011, 06:03 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagenodland View Post
A modern Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Taurus, and many others cannot fire with fully loaded if the weapon is dropped.

Older Tauruses, Rossi revolvers, and S&Ws have a hammer block saftey, which is a latch, block or other obstruction built into the action and normally positioned to prevent the hammer contacting the cartridge primer or firing pin when at rest. Similar to the firing pin block, the obstruction to the hammer's travel is removed as a consequence of pulling the trigger. This allows the hammer to contact the primer or firing pin only when the trigger is pulled.

Newer Tauruses and Rugers have a Transfer bar safety. The hammer itself cannot contact a loaded cartridge; it must instead strike the transfer bar, which then contacts the cartridge primer with the spur or pin. The transfer bar is normally positioned out of line with the hammer's travel, but is moved into place by the normal action of the trigger, providing similar "drop safety". The bar is not raised until the trigger is pulled so there is no chance the hammer can contact the firing pin; therefore the pin cannot contact the primer and fire the weapon.

If its a Ruger and it doesn't have a transfer bar, its is a old model Blackhawk or Vaquero?
If so then just leave the chamber in front of the firing pin empty and your GTG.

If its a double action Ruger, what model? IIRC, all ruger DA revolvers have a transfer bar safety. I am a collector of old Ruger DAs and I have never seen one without a drop safety.

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Last edited by mesinge2; 08-26-2011 at 11:34 PM.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:34 PM   #10

Its a ruger but doesn't have to transfer bar safety I know what it looks like on the post 64 winchester 94 had them