Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Arrr, a big blow be 'commin! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/arrr-big-blow-commin-41135/)

boatme98 04-11-2011 10:27 PM

Arrr, a big blow be 'commin!

I'm about 60 mi. east of Nashville and it looks bad for the next few hours.
There's a large cell just south of N'vlle that's starting to circulate-Wooo-just starting to get lightning here. Time to sign off folks.:eek:

dunerunner 04-11-2011 11:09 PM

Hunker down boat!!

Sniper03 04-11-2011 11:10 PM

I hear you! I am out of state in South Carolina teaching so keep me informed. I live NE of Nashville about 1.5 Hours. I will go to the weather channel. Last weeks storm tore off the neighbors new garage roof. And collapsed the roof and part of a block garage on top of the guy, his friend and his collectible cars. If it had not been for smashing the roofs on his cars he and his friend would probably not be here today. We were out of power for 26 hours as they repaired the torn down power poles and lines! Anyway thanks for the heads up.

Dillinger 04-11-2011 11:12 PM

Good luck brother! Stay safe.

JD

dog2000tj 04-12-2011 12:41 AM

I drove through a pretty sweet storm this morning on my way north. :eek: Batton down the hatches, secure the cargo, and for god's sakes man ..... break out the rum! ;)

boatme98 04-12-2011 02:04 AM

It's 9:00 PM and the worst has passed over. I lost power for about an hour and a half. Just a steady rain now although there's still a tornado watch until midnight. Seems the cells just kind dissapated after passing Nashville. Nowhere near as bad as last week.
Now I can break out the Pampero!

dunerunner 04-12-2011 02:08 AM

Glad you made it unscathed!!

CA357 04-12-2011 02:56 AM

Stay safe folks.

Bigcountry02 04-20-2011 11:13 PM

Obama Skips Tornado Destruction, Heads West to Raise Money

Add to the Tornado destruction, the so-called POTUS heads west to raise compaign money, before that he presents the Command-in-Chief Trophy to the Air Force Academy football team in the Rose Garden this past Monday and did not say a word about the amount of destruction in North Carolina and surrounding area.

He or the VP did not say a word or even toured the damage.

This is our President?

The clowns running our country do not care one bit what happens to it!

Obama Skips Tornado Destruction, Heads West to Raise Money | The Blog on Obama: White House Dossier

President Obama is opting not to visit the tornado-ravaged areas of the South, choosing instead to embark today on a three day tour out West where he will try to boost his political standing by talking up his approach to the deficit and raise millions for himself and fellow Democrats.

The tornadoes, part of a storm that rampaged though six states Saturday, resulted in one of the worst disasters of any kind in the United States since the Hurricane Katrina in 2005. Scores were left injured or homeless while 45 people were killed – about four times as many as died in the Gulf oil rig explosion and the subsequent oil spill last year. In North Carolina alone, there were nearly two-dozen storm-related deaths Saturday, with 130 homes destroyed and an estimated 700 more damaged.

Not only is Obama staying away from the region, he has said almost nothing publicly about the tragedy beyond an interview with a North Carolina TV station and a very brief mention at a White House prayer breakfast. The president has failed to make the kind of national, attention-getting public statement presidents offer during crises to comfort victims by expressing the condolences of the nation and to seek charitable aid.

Sunday, he went golfing. On Monday, he did sign a disaster declaration for North Carolina, which will free up federal assistance to the state.

Vice President Biden has also failed to show up. He’s cooling his heels today at home in Wilmington, Delaware. The disaster did not even merit a visit from Secretary of Interior Ken Salazar who – without any apparent irony – was in Boston Tuesday announcing a new wind energy project.

Meanwhile, the South is bracing for more, as forecasters say severe storms and tornadoes could hit the region again today.

Obama’s failure to publicly attend to the fallout from the tornadoes comes on the one-year anniversary of the rig explosion that caused the Gulf oil spill. Obama was roundly criticized then for failing to respond sufficiently to the crisis.

The president’s silence and absence during the current crisis is particularly odd given his political stakes in North Carolina, which barely went for Obama over McCain in 2008. Obama is so desperate to hold the state that he’s chosen to hold the 2012 Democratic convention there, in Charlotte.

Obama’s first stop out West will be in San Francisco today, where he will stage two fundraisers and host a “town hall” style meeting at Facebook headquarters in Palo Alto focusing on his solution for the federal deficit. On Thursday, he’ll hopscotch over to Reno, Nevada – also a key presidential battleground state – for another deficit town hall, and then head back to California to rake in more money.

While the fundraisers are obviously political events, Obama’s public sales job for his deficit plan also has a major political component, given the widespread public concern about the economy is behind his perilously low poll ratings.

boatme98 04-21-2011 02:40 AM

Yeah, BigCountry, Tenn. has been through some rough weather in the last 12 months and nobody from the Fed. has stopped by it seems. A year ago May 1st. we got hammered by 2 days of record setting rains. Entire towns and cities flooded. Interstates closed for days, one section for a week. Whole sections of my little town destroyed in the high ground. My road washed out and we were stuck for a week. What did we get? We got phone numbers for FEMA. And it's continued untill now. It's still blowing here tonight, lots of trees down every day. Local flooding in all areas here and in Ky.
But with all that's happened, the folks in this bass-ackwards, hillbilly state sucked it up and pretty much dealt with everything by themselves, for themselves and their neighbors. There was no looting, robbery, or real rise in crime during any of the bad times. I like living here.