Arrested Over A "Smart Meter" - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Arrested Over A "Smart Meter"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts

As an employee of a Power company I'll tell you now. We will get access to the meter. It is owned by us. After the electricity leaves the meter it is yours. Whether I cut your power off at the Poles, transformer, pull box, or meter it doesn't matter. If you do not pay your bill, are stealing electricity, or there are dangerous conditions present your service will be cut off. I'm not fond of smart meters myself. It illuminates jobs. But I also realize it is a more efficient way of servicing the customer.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1093 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 680

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
easiest way to get off the grid. just don't pay your electric bill and they will do it for you!
And if you have a Smart Meter, they won’t even have to come to your house.

I questioned my meter reader about the progress the company was making with smart meters. He said they were slowly being installed…and the first customers to get one were the ones habitually late paying their bill…. because there were no uncomfortable confrontations when the service had to be terminated.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #23
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22315 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis36 View Post
And if you have a Smart Meter, they won’t even have to come to your house.

I questioned my meter reader about the progress the company was making with smart meters. He said they were slowly being installed…and the first customers to get one were the ones habitually late paying their bill…. because there were no uncomfortable confrontations when the service had to be terminated.
very true!

when our house was built about eight years ago, they put in a regular type meter. because we are on a small coop service we read our own meter and recorded the reading on our bill we sent in with the payment. about five years ago, they installed a smart reader and now it's read remotely. personally i haven't seen any huge difference in my bill each month.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #24

Let me clarify by saying that there are two types of smart meters we are using currently. One is just a digital meter that is read by remote and controlled remotely by the utility company. The second is similar but has a transponder that goes into the owners home for their monitoring. Rates vary depending on peak time usages. By allowing the customer to monitor it, they can change when they do laundry or cook allowing them to get a better rate for higher demand.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #25

Liked 4766 Times on 2375 Posts
Likes Given: 1148

Products of the modern education system...

I saw it when I worked for a phone company.

These major conveniences, anomalies, and quirks in technology quickly become "rights", in the eyes of the uneducated.

Let me break it down for you, idiot city dwellers.

1) You do not have a RIGHT to a cellphone. You do NOT even have a "right" to make a phone call from jail. Use your television to kill yourself, now.

2) You do not have a "right" to electrical power. It is something that mankind has had for 3 generations now, out of millions of years. Drop the notion that you have a right to it. In fact, I suggest you learn to live without electricity. I would suggest you use electricity to kill yourself as well, but if the power ever stops you will have done just that, and not even have realized it.

3) You do not have a "right" to free speech on the internet. Someone owns whatever forum you're blasting your crap from, and they can shut you up. I suggest using your "free speech" to go scream at some wild bears.

4) You do not have a right to modern food. Just...stop... You don't. There is no right for you to get someone else's stuff. You have the right to grow your own food. I suggest you grow poisonous mushrooms and eat those.

5) You DO have a right to own guns. It's right there, in the constitution. The right NOT directly next to the rights of "electricity, phones, internet and food."
People Like This 
Old 01-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1093 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 680

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade44 View Post
Let me clarify by saying that there are two types of smart meters we are using currently. One is just a digital meter that is read by remote and controlled remotely by the utility company. The second is similar but has a transponder that goes into the owners home for their monitoring. Rates vary depending on peak time usages. By allowing the customer to monitor it, they can change when they do laundry or cook allowing them to get a better rate for higher demand.
I understood that this is the one that’s being installed here. (TVA)
I’m no expert on meters but someone mentioned that, being mechanical, they might get a little sluggish with age. Bearings, etc.

I would translate ‘sluggish’ to mean they log a little less electricity than is really being used.
Some meters, the one on Dad’s old house, for example, are probably fifty years old.

If that’s the case, that might explain why some smart meters cause a higher bill…they just accurately reflect what’s being used.

That’s assuming the power company isn’t playing fast and loose with the programming! I’ve read some comments from users in California that would indicate this might be happening out there.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #27

That is true. As far as the comment earlier about using a magnet on a smart meter is incorrect. Most parts inside are plastic or aluminum to reduce corrosion and weight. Magnets used to be used on old gas and electric meters, no longer useful. A standard electric meter with dials can be put in upside down and still run. A new smart meters will not. Only way to steal power now is the old fashioned way of jumping across the terminals or bypassing the meter entirely.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:12 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1089 Times on 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade44
That is true. As far as the comment earlier about using a magnet on a smart meter is incorrect. Most parts inside are plastic or aluminum to reduce corrosion and weight. Magnets used to be used on old gas and electric meters, no longer useful. A standard electric meter with dials can be put in upside down and still run. A new smart meters will not. Only way to steal power now is the old fashioned way of jumping across the terminals or bypassing the meter entirely.
I'm sure a moderately powerful electric magnet in close proximity to your smart meter would most definitely effect it's operation. Doing so may also effect the flow of electricity into ones home as well...

Old 01-29-2013, 03:08 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8219 Times on 4483 Posts
Likes Given: 8005

The smart meters are digital. No moving parts.

We've got a handful of paranoid conspiracy theorists here that are really freaking out.

The local JBS told them it was a communist plot, and no amount of factual, technological data will change their minds.

Even though they are irritating, I actually feel sorry for people that live in so much fear that anything and everything new or different is a deep dark conspiracy to f##k them over.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:31 AM   #30
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9088 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
The smart meters are digital. No moving parts.

We've got a handful of paranoid conspiracy theorists here that are really freaking out.

The local JBS told them it was a communist plot, and no amount of factual, technological data will change their minds.

Even though they are irritating, I actually feel sorry for people that live in so much fear that anything and everything new or different is a deep dark conspiracy to f##k them over.
What about my question about how accurately it is reading solar production? My mom has a Smart Meter and she has a solar PV system on the roof. The system produces well and above what she uses, yet the meter does not show negative numbers, it just shows all zeroes. My meter (I have opted out of the Smart Meter program, this is an option here in CA) is digital and reads negative numbers. The thing is that the power company is required by law to pay net generators for all of the power they produce over what they use. If the meter is not accurately recording over-production then she is getting ripped off.
dog2000tj Likes This