Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Army Vet Commits Suicide at Mich. Gun Shop/Range (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/army-vet-commits-suicide-mich-gun-shop-range-41591/)

Car54 04-21-2011 09:28 PM

Army Vet Commits Suicide at Mich. Gun Shop/Range

What a sad, tragic story. May she rest in peace.

http://www.thenewsherald.com/articles/2011/04/21/none/doc4db06b337d10e744187833.txt

dnthmn2004 04-21-2011 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Car54 (Post 491017)
What a sad, tragic story. May she rest in peace.

http://www.thenewsherald.com/article...e744187833.txt

Doesn't work for me. :confused:

Car54 04-21-2011 10:26 PM

Dunerunner sent a PM that the link wouldn't open so I pasted the article;

TAYLOR: Iowa woman takes own life at Top Gun Shooting Sports
Published: Thursday, April 21, 2011

By Rene Cizio

TAYLOR — A 38-year-old Iowa woman took her own life Wednesday at Top Gun Shooting Sports, 16725 Racho Road.

Police said the Army veteran had been released recently from a post traumatic stress disorder treatment program at the Battle Creek Veteran’s Affairs Medical Center.

Police said the woman went to the range at about 1 p.m., rented a semi-automatic handgun and did target practice for a while.

Surveillance video shows that she then stopped firing at the target and turned the gun on herself, shooting herself in the head.

She was transported to Oakwood Hospital & Medical Center in Dearborn, where she was confirmed dead.

She was a resident of Bettendorf, Iowa. Police said she had just completed the treatment program at the Battle Creek facility.

She had served in Bosnia while in the Army, police said.

dnthmn2004 04-21-2011 10:46 PM

Thats a terrible situation :(. Makes you wonder how effective the PTSD treatment was.

PTSD is no fun to be around. A friend of mine had it really bad after his trip to the sand box. His fiancée left him and lost a lot of friends who didn't understand. After he pinned me to a wall by my neck, he taught me how to snap him out of his episodes - by addressing him as if I was his superior. Scary **** man.

My friend still can't be around gun fire. I wonder if this is what triggered her actions to take her life.

Dillinger 04-21-2011 10:59 PM

I can tell you from personal experience, as my dad was a SERIOUS case of PTSD and at one point ended up on Level 7 at the V.A. here in Seattle, it's a damn joke UNLESS the person has a tremendous inner spirit and can defeat the demons.

My old man couldn't, and the VA just kept rubber stamping him from one treatment session to another that saw several "near death" bouts with uber high blood alcohol content. :mad:

My heart goes out to this woman's family, but I can assure you, this was something she was going to do quickly like she did, or slow over time with the "help" of drugs and alcohol. :(

R.I.P. Soldier!!

JD

Shihan 04-21-2011 11:04 PM

That is a terrible tragedy.

Served in Bosnia??? I wonder what her MOS was? Seems maybe the media maybe linking this to PTSD because of her former service. I would like to know a little more about the whole thing.

Dillinger 04-21-2011 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shihan (Post 491060)
That is a terrible tragedy.

Served in Bosnia??? I wonder what her MOS was? Seems maybe the media maybe linking this to PTSD because of her former service. I would like to know a little more about the whole thing.

I had a good friend from high school who was in Bosnia for two years in Psy-Ops. He was always a twisted little effer.

I can assure you, there was true issues over there that our troops were exposed too on a regular basis. Despite what President Slick Willie and the Press Corp would have you believe.

My buddy was up for re-enlistment when rebels blew up a car bomb right outside the gate not 30 seconds after he passed through it. He is twisted, but he wasn't stupid.

He "declined" to re-enlist after that incident saw him and several other good, "reservists", trying to put out the flames and keep the blood on the inside of other good troops. :(

Another in a long line of "wars" that were fought with our fine soldiers hands tied together.

As a good friend of mine who was a USMC Combat Vet used to say "This sh*t will change when I'm King". :rolleyes:

JD

Shihan 04-21-2011 11:36 PM

I served in the Bosnian Conflict for Operations Provide Promise and Deny Flight. My squadron, HMH-461, was part of the MEU that went in and got Capt. O'Grady.

I was just curious as to what she did in the Army.

Dillinger 04-22-2011 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shihan (Post 491070)
I served in the Bosnian Conflict for Operations Provide Promise and Deny Flight. My squadron, HMH-461, was part of the MEU that went in and got Capt. O'Grady.

I was just curious as to what she did in the Army.

*respect* I was unsure of the basis of your question. Obviously you know better than most what was going on over there.

CourtJester 04-22-2011 12:06 AM

Quote:

Police said the Army veteran had been released recently from a post traumatic stress disorder treatment program at the Battle Creek Veteran’s Affairs Medical Center
Sounds like they need to take another look at their terms of "completion"

Sad story none the less.