Army Starts Testing 'Judge Dredd' Weapon
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Army Starts Testing 'Judge Dredd' Weapon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2009, 02:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Default Army Starts Testing 'Judge Dredd' Weapon

Friday , May 29, 2009

The U.S. Army is set to start testing a computerized, high-tech projectile launcher that can take out bad guys hiding around corners and in caves or trenches, even if they're out of the soldier's line of sight.

Some experts call it the "Judge Dredd" gun, after the Sylvester Stallone movie. The Pentagon calls it the XM-25 Individual Air Burst Weapon, which uses a laser rangefinder to precisely measure the distance to a target, then primes a fuse on a timed grenade so that the projectile explodes exactly where it should.

"The way a soldier operates this is you basically find your target, then laze to it, which gives the range, then you get an adjusted aim point, adjust fire and pull the trigger," deputy program manager Richard Audette told Army News Service. "Say you've lazed out to 543 meters ... when you pull the trigger it arms the round and fires it 543 meters plus or minus a one-, two- or three-meter increment, then it explodes over the target."

A squad trying to neutralize an enemy fighter wouldn't have to wait until he showed himself — instead, they could just aim to a spot near him, then use the XM-25 to have a grenade explode directly there.

"For example, in Iraq we had many instances where there was a sniper firing from a rooftop and you have a squad trying to engage that target, but the soldiers couldn't get to him with the weapons they had, so they'd call in the Air Force to drop a JDAM (joint direct attack munitions)," said Audette. "We can take out the target at $25 per XM round as opposed to a $20,000 to $50,000 JDAM."

With a range of 750 meters — nearly half a mile — the XM-25 would also be very effective in Afghanistan, where Taliban fighters often hide behind rocks and in caves.

In addition to precision-timed grenades, the gun is also built to fire armor-piercing, door-breaching, anti-personnel and less-than-lethal rounds.

Welcome to the 21st century guys, and I like it!

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-25-2009, 02:37 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Seems to me that Mack on Future Weapons tested this piece in the First or Second season. I can't find the video of it at the moment, but I am almost 100% sure they did because I can remember the explosive round absolutely obliterating a dummy behind a Jersey Barrier type wall in super slo mo.....

The XM-25 is a super bad weapon - too bad it costs an arm and a leg. The Pentagon will test it, but I wouldn't hold your breath to see a massive order ready for boots on the ground anytime soon.

JD

Old 06-25-2009, 03:36 PM   #3

Indeed, I saw it on Future Weapons also way back, but they must be impressed enough with it for them to start real testing and some production. I do not see a whole bunch of them being mass produced. I think a small number will be produced and distributed to small companies and squadrons for real world use and testing, especially in Afghanistan.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

Old 06-25-2009, 06:00 PM   #4

It has been undergoing field trials for about 2 years now. FN has a head unit on their F2000 that performs the computations and does this with the under barrel grenade launcher. Basically you fire it through say an open window or hole in the wall. As it flies through the hole then it air bursts just the other side of it taking out everyone in the room. Fun stuff.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:56 PM   #5

we were shown some of the testing videos during AMGLC. it is supposed to replace the fifty and the mark. this thing is really nasty, it is way more punishing that what was on future weapons.

"on the seventh day god created the model 700 for killing dinosaurs."

Old 06-25-2009, 07:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicky0331 View Post
we were shown some of the testing videos during AMGLC. it is supposed to replace the fifty and the mark. this thing is really nasty, it is way more punishing that what was on future weapons.
It's about damn time. they have been talking about replacing the fifty since I got out in "95" at least this weapon has the bugs worked out and shows a lot of promise for fukk'in up BGs, especially ones that like to hide.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 06-26-2009, 02:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
It's about damn time. they have been talking about replacing the fifty since I got out in "95" at least this weapon has the bugs worked out and shows a lot of promise for fukk'in up BGs, especially ones that like to hide.
well in the defense of the M2, there aint nothing wrong with it. as the old saying goes, "if it aint broke don't fix it" just shoot the punk through the wall! this gun IS awesome, but I don't think it should replace anything, but be used as a supplement to the others. the mark is such a devestating suppressive and defesive weapon we would be retatrded to get rid of them.

"on the seventh day god created the model 700 for killing dinosaurs."

Old 06-26-2009, 02:27 AM   #8

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I could see it replacing the mark in certain roles. Mainly convoys, where I was we'd have dual mounts on our humvees with both the 249 or 240B and mark 19s. This could just have the machine gun as the primary and then have the XM-25 on the side to replace their M-4.
"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 06-26-2009, 02:39 AM   #9

Isn't this basically the XM-29 sans the assault rifle component?
Ain't really news, been worked on since 1986

Old 06-26-2009, 12:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
Isn't this basically the XM-29 sans the assault rifle component?
Ain't really news, been worked on since 1986
Well, Mr. Excitement, that's true, but it sounds like they finally got it right and made some improvements from the XM-29 and are gonna go to town with it now. I see major tactical advantages and enemy fears.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!