Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Army enlistment questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 04:26 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

You'll be alright with the spine thing as long as you never mention it to anyone (recruiter,MEPS,drill instructor, or any medical personnel at any point in training or thereafter).

The only way for them to ever dive into your medical history is for you to sign over your CMR's (Civilian Medical Records). I watched a few hundred recruits get to Parris Island only to cry and say "I broke my leg snowboarding when I was 12." They sent a fax to their family doc and bam about 10 to 14 days later they were on a greyhound bus in their smelly ass civies back to east bum-funk.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:06 PM   #22

I spent lots of years in Army Aviation. Here's my $0.02. Get an MOS in Aviation. You'll know the aircraft and at be very knowledgeable in either one type of aircraft or one area of the aircraft.

You need to fight with the recruiter to get a good MOS, at least I did. I spent my years as an Avionics Tech. I needed a security clearance as do pilots.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:47 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeddes View Post
I spent lots of years in Army Aviation. Here's my $0.02. Get an MOS in Aviation. You'll know the aircraft and at be very knowledgeable in either one type of aircraft or one area of the aircraft.

You need to fight with the recruiter to get a good MOS, at least I did. I spent my years as an Avionics Tech. I needed a security clearance as do pilots.
x2 Aviation MOSes will net you a good job once you make it back to real life. The "James Bond" MOSes look really cool and are a ton of fun, but have no real use in the civilian world. I was a 96R1P and a 12B1P. I had a lot of fun sneaking through the woods, jumping out of planes and blowing **** up, but evidently, employers just aren't interested in those skills.

I've been asked in job interviews what Combat Engineers and Ground Surveillance entailed. Once I explained to them that Ground Surveillance infiltrates enemy held territory undetected to set up LP/OPs or plant sensors that track enemy movement and that Combat Engineers primarily steer the enemy using obstacles and explosives or breach enemy obstacles using explosives, I got the "deer in the headlights" stare. It was obvious that the interviewer was worried about me misusing my skills that I gathered in the Army.

When I enlisted 13 years ago, jobs were handed out at MEPPS. The job counselor would show you a list of MOSes that were needed by the service you were enlisting into and they were based upon ASVAB scores.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:34 PM   #24

Scoliosis may disqualify you from enlistment. It may be a bar to flight school, and YES you will be given a thorough physical before you're admitted to flight school.

Here's the way that "trap" works. They'll sign you up for an enlistment term and give you the option for flight school, but it's contingent upon your passing the entry requirements. If you don't pass, the Army will assign you to whatever they want, depending upon THEIR needs.

I enlisted in 1966 for the Monterey Language School, Army Security Agency. They barred me on a security clearance (which is now a basis for 100% service connected disability), and assigned me to San Antonio for training as a Medic -- four year obligation.

I had no interest in being a Medic. I pass out at the sight of blood. The enlistment was 3 yrs of hell and an admin. discharge, 10 yrs of no benefits because of the discharge, and another 18 yrs of appeals to the VA for service connected disability. I finally got compensated when I was 55. They paid me retroactive for five years. It's on appeal.

I was serious about language school. I now have a Ph.D. in Linguistics.

The military needs bodies. You need to be in top physical shape for flight school. They'll find your medical short-comings and you'll end up in the Infantry or some such.

You never mentioned your educational background. Warrant Officers (chopper pilots) are typically college grads. Besides flying choppers, the officers assume command, and need admin. skills. That's college stuff.

A military enlistment is like a prison sentence. You get locked in and can't walk away from it. They have the option to put you where THEY need you. And, these days in the military, there's every chance you'll be killed in combat.

You're stepping into a mine field. That's my view.

Last edited by SlamFire; 01-29-2009 at 05:36 PM.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:59 PM   #25
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 697 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

I went down the same path. Attempted to enlist to become a WO with the desire to become a Heli pilot. Aced the ASVAB but a really random and what I think non-issue health issue disqualified me.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:47 PM   #26

Another good thing about Army or Marines I believe is since we are at War I was told you get a 20,000 dollar bonus for recruiting yourself...and if you go into Special Forces another 40,000 to you is applied making it a 60,000 dollar bonus.

Me I joined the Navy just yesterday in the DEP program and I got a 10,000 dollar bonus and a high class job.

If you score really high in the ASVAB and are not sold on Combat then I would try for the Navy or Air Force.

In my job I'm either doing Navigation or Firing the missiles on the ships which only 17,000 or more are currently in...meaning it's a high demand job with plenty of moving up opportunity. In fact I'm aiming high with my life. I want to be a Captain.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:08 PM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default well fu*k me

Quite frankly, the only reason I want to join is to fly. So, looks like I may be once again choosing yet another career.

As for college, I've had 90-some hours, but no degree.

Man, this day keeps getting better and better..............

Old 01-30-2009, 10:30 PM   #28

Nice thing about the Air Force is that every night you go to sleep in a BED with SHEETS, and you eat every meal at a TABLE, with chairs, heating in the building or air conditioning depending where you are. No camping out in the mud, the jungle, or the desert.

Air Force could qualify you for flight school BEFORE you enlist. Get it in writing.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:35 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamFire View Post
Nice thing about the Air Force is that every night you go to sleep in a BED with SHEETS, and you eat every meal at a TABLE, with chairs, heating in the building or air conditioning depending where you are. No camping out in the mud, the jungle, or the desert.

Air Force could qualify you for flight school BEFORE you enlist. Get it in writing.
What is so nice about that. I have actually acquired a taste for dirt.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud in "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"

"My dear boy, I love hearing my relations abused. It is the only thing that makes me put up with them at all. Relations are simply a tedious pack of people, who haven’t got the remotest knowledge of how to live, nor the smallest instinct about when to die."