Army enlistment questions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Army enlistment questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2009, 01:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Army enlistment questions

Hello all,

visited an Army recruiter today, and took a sample ASVAB. I did 'extremely well' on it (says the recruiter) and proceeded to chat with a few gentlemen for a while. I was given a stack of paperwork to fill out, and a date to go take the real ASVAB.

Heres my question...I'm desiring to enlist with hopes of being a helicopter pilot (warrant officer). A few of the questions have me a little nervous.

I have since moved on in life, but in my past I may have used a certain green plant for recreational purposes. I'm not worried about passing a drug test as it has been years, but I am worried about answering 'no' to the questions of if I have ever used them. Are there any 'polygraph' tests that are administered? I don't want to say "yes I have used" and be immediately disqualified (or discharged) but I also dont want to say "no" and then take a polygraph (or similar) test and fail and be discharged.

My next question is a medical type. I have a mild curvature in the spine (scoliosis). Would this disqualify me from flying (or joining in general) ?

I figured some of you current and former military folks might have some insight to my questions. Thanks in advance for your answers.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-25-2009, 02:05 AM   #2

Default Just say no

You haven't been involved with the herb in years? Just say no. There is no lie detector involved. Keep your mouth shut about your spine. If it is no problem in your function. Let them find the problem, which they won't. Get EVERYTHING in writting, signed from the recruiter. Not that he will lie to you, just be very loose with the truth. Good luck, and God Bless.

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Don't blame the tool, blame the fool.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:31 AM   #3

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

If your clean, hair sample clean, and have 'seen the way' the old you IS NOT the current you. Unless there's a paperwork trail of your past practices, answer the questions in the current you.

As long as you don't wheel chair into the physical your golden.

Get every promise on paper! I didn't and got to hear the DI laugh his standard "They told you what, dirt bag?" Without that official map put to paper, you WILL go where you are needed, not where you want!

JUST remember, there will be souls depending on you to get them in, and out when the SHTF. If you're comfortable to fill those shoes, Godspeed!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-25-2009, 02:48 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Say yes, or it will come up in your security clearance investigation. If that happens, you'd possibly be facing charges of fraudulent enlistment.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:06 AM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Follow your conscience, but my recruiter told me

NO= Neverending opportunity

YES= Your enlistment stops

Like the others said, get it on paper. I maxed the ASVAB plus, passed the physical just fine, was told of all the cool jobs I was qualified for, and at signing time, I had the options of cook or Infantry.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:51 AM   #6

They only do a criminal background check. To this day I still resent the people at MEPS more than anyone else I have encountered. They mostly try to scare you, be smart. The recruiters do tend to lie, their job is to enlist you any way possible. Get any contracts in writing from them and the people at MEPS. They wont require you to do a hair sample test just a UA. Good luck and be a man... go Infantry. IKEEED

Old 01-25-2009, 06:22 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Google TS-SCI and TS-CRYPTO. Once you figure out what those are, ask me how I know about detailed security clearance checks.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:39 PM   #8

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

As long as you aren't stupid about it. You will be ok. Just say no they are not going to dig too deep unless you are dealking directly with something along the lines of national security. Flying a blackhawk is not that.

As far aas flying don't set your sights too high like I wanna be an Apache piolt because there are so many people wanting to do that and so few slots open. there are other choper positions out there. I knew a friend that aplyed every year for warrent oficer school for piolt ever did get it. He was a stright up high speed low drag guy. This guy scored 335 out of 300 on his pt test he won 2 Sgt Audi Murphy boards was solider of the year for the post and even pressed he damn skives yes he pressed his underware. This dude went to the promotion board and aced it the first time When he went to PLDC (Primary Leadership Development Course) had the highest grade in his class and broke the pt score record (with his 335) and did the land nav course in the fastest time they had ever seen. He never made it into warrent officer school. If it were me I would go get some college first (BA) then go in as a warrent officer or an officer. But green to gold officers get a bit more respect.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:10 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Google TS-SCI and TS-CRYPTO. Once you figure out what those are, ask me how I know about detailed security clearance checks.
While I understand that I should be honest about my background, my past never got me into any trouble with the law or any addictions of any sort. I may have violated a few bags of Cheetos, but nothing serious

As for the clearances, I've googled. In all honesty, I don't think I want to be involved with national security on the intelligence side of things. For now, I'll stick to getting into the Army first. After that, I'll see what happens.

Thank you all for the replies, it has been much appreciated.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:43 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If your an only child Don't let them say you won't be sent out of country. YOU CAN AND POSSIBLY WILL be sent. I learned that lie the hard way as my son was told that and was sent.

The only times in this nations history that anything great happened it was because normal men put aside their petty differences and fight for a common cause.

Chester

"The great object is that every man be armed . . . Everyone who is able may have a gun." (Patrick Henry, in the Virginia Convention on the ratification of the Constitution.)

Last edited by Chester; 01-25-2009 at 02:10 PM.