Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Armistice Day

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2008, 10:39 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Not at all, Armistice is more important than veterans. You're not taught about Armistice, you're taught about veterans. It lies the other way for the Europeans that we fought to free though.
-

Matt.....Argonne Wood as you may be aware was the first deployment of US trrops in 1918, having orders to take the wood, and against advice allied command of a direct assault, in four hous they took more causalties than US troops took during the whole of the D Day landings, and it's to those I am paying my respects. There are the graves of 14,000 US soldiers buried there, one third of those that fell, the remainder having been replatriated home.

Uncle Joe was wounded at Pegasus Bridge during Market Garden, and as a veteran paratrooper you will know what I am talking about........... He said that if 'life and God spares him' he is going to visit the battlefied next year and as asked me to accompany him...sounds odd but I am looking forward to the trip....

The Armistice for those who do not know was the agreement to cease hositilities on the Western Front effectively ending the war. It also inculded effectively the surrender although not unconditionally of the Germany Army. It signed at 5am, although did not come into effect 11am, 11th. November 1918. (hence the 11 hour of the 11th day of the 11th. month...). One celebrates the veterans, and remembers the fallen with equal measure.

Last edited by Boris; 11-10-2008 at 11:01 AM.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:42 PM   #12

"To save your world you asked this man to die;
Would this man, could he see you now, ask why?"

W.H. Auden

Epitaph for an Unknown Soldier

Old 11-10-2008, 07:17 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
-

Matt.....Argonne Wood as you may be aware was the first deployment of US trrops in 1918, having orders to take the wood, and against advice allied command of a direct assault, in four hous they took more causalties than US troops took during the whole of the D Day landings, and it's to those I am paying my respects. There are the graves of 14,000 US soldiers buried there, one third of those that fell, the remainder having been replatriated home.

Uncle Joe was wounded at Pegasus Bridge during Market Garden, and as a veteran paratrooper you will know what I am talking about........... He said that if 'life and God spares him' he is going to visit the battlefied next year and as asked me to accompany him...sounds odd but I am looking forward to the trip....

The Armistice for those who do not know was the agreement to cease hositilities on the Western Front effectively ending the war. It also inculded effectively the surrender although not unconditionally of the Germany Army. It signed at 5am, although did not come into effect 11am, 11th. November 1918. (hence the 11 hour of the 11th day of the 11th. month...). One celebrates the veterans, and remembers the fallen with equal measure.
I hope you and your Uncle Joe make that trip next year, as I hope that I can make it myself some day.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:17 PM   #14

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
-

Great post Boris - There was information there I had not heard before. Really excellent contribution.

JD

Old 11-10-2008, 08:33 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Great post Boris - There was information there I had not heard before. Really excellent contribution.

JD
It's funny how Americans scream freedom every chance they get, yet they've never truly faced oppression and never had to live through war.

A good portion or Europe is still scarred from the last fray.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Old 11-10-2008, 08:42 PM   #16

Quote:
It's funny how Americans scream freedom every chance they get, yet they've never truly faced oppression and never had to live through war.

A good portion or Europe is still scarred from the last fray.
Have you seen the news surrounding the Muslim "Invasion"?? They are a hell of a lot closer to another fray than we are on our soil....

Isn't it Demark or Sweden, one of those countries, has pretty much completely cut off immigration.... Scary.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:04 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Have you seen the news surrounding the Muslim "Invasion"?? They are a hell of a lot closer to another fray than we are on our soil....

Isn't it Demark or Sweden, one of those countries, has pretty much completely cut off immigration.... Scary.
Maybe they're right in doing so?

Roger Waters

Old 11-11-2008, 01:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Maybe they're right in doing so?
You certainly wouldn't get any argument out of me or anyone around the shop, that's for sure.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:01 PM   #19

You guys might try ordering a book through your local library (inter library loan) called "Camp of the Saints". Can't recall the author's name (he is French).

He wrote this book about the destruction of European society by a non-violent, but not peaceful, invasion of France by a mass emigration from India.

It was written in the early '70's, and, except for the error of where the immigrants come from, it has become true. It is a process of slow conquest. It is a very spooky book.

Interesting book.............

Last edited by Northwoods; 11-11-2008 at 04:02 PM. Reason: spelling, grammar

Old 11-11-2008, 05:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
You guys might try ordering a book through your local library (inter library loan) called "Camp of the Saints". Can't recall the author's name (he is French).

He wrote this book about the destruction of European society by a non-violent, but not peaceful, invasion of France by a mass emigration from India.

It was written in the early '70's, and, except for the error of where the immigrants come from, it has become true. It is a process of slow conquest. It is a very spooky book.

Interesting book.............
There's another one called America Alone that bkt turned me on to and it quite frankly scared the crap out of me.

Newest Threads