Armistice Day
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Armistice Day

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2008, 07:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Armistice Day

Well Armistice Day approaches and this year I will be taking a drive up to the Argonne Wood to pay my respects and also to visit a private museum dedicated to those American's of the 77th. Division who fought there. If I have time I will also travel over to Ypres where I lost family.

The Great War has an effect on me I really don't know why, maybe it was the great loss of life, or the fact that given it was considered the 'war to end all wars' and that after four years of unrelenting war that touched every family in the land we are still stupit enough to indulge in it...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-08-2008, 12:39 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I wouldn't exactly call it an indulgence, a necessary evil as long as evil men will try to force their will on others. Has existed since the beginning of time. No one hates it more than the ones who have to fight, trust me.
I have been to Verdun years ago, it is a haunted place. The ground looks like there are cars buried all over from where the artillery has churned the earth up. Very wretching seeing the Ossuary with the bones of thousands that will never be known. No, no one in their right mind would "indulge" in it. But there are worse alternatives.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:51 PM   #3

I will be going to the Cenotaph for the 11:00 service as I do every year.
I won't be coming in to work in the morning and that's for sure.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:11 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

not trying to be ignorant or rude but what r u guys talking about, most sincere

Old 11-10-2008, 07:27 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
Well Armistice Day approaches and this year I will be taking a drive up to the Argonne Wood to pay my respects and also to visit a private museum dedicated to those American's of the 77th. Division who fought there. If I have time I will also travel over to Ypres where I lost family.

The Great War has an effect on me I really don't know why, maybe it was the great loss of life, or the fact that given it was considered the 'war to end all wars' and that after four years of unrelenting war that touched every family in the land we are still stupit enough to indulge in it...
Boris, please remember what America's Sky Soldiers did for you too. As a member of the 82nd Airborne Division, I carry a great deal of pride for what my brethren did for the liberation of Europe. I shall celebrate those that I served with, those that came before me and those that came after me.

Dead American Paratroopers are what I drink for, when I do. Dead American Paratroopers are what I breathe for, when I do. Dead American Paratroopers are what I live for, when I can. Dead American Paratroopers are what has maintained the Worlds' freedom, and to that, I am forever indebted.

Toast: To us and those like us.
Counter: May God rest their souls!

Rest in Peace my brethren. Everything I shall do tomorrow and forever will be in your names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdeath66 View Post
not trying to be ignorant or rude but what r u guys talking about, most sincere
Really? We call it Veterans' Day. Please read up on it and learn what Armistice Day means to the Europeans. I would only hope that it means as much to you as it does to them. Your freedom, as does theirs' is owed to many great Americans that left their blood and their lives in Europe.

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 11-10-2008 at 07:30 AM.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:34 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Boris, please remember what America's Sky Soldiers did for you too. As a member of the 82nd Airborne Division, I carry a great deal of pride for what my brethren did for the liberation of Europe. I shall celebrate those that I served with, those that came before me and those that came after me.

Dead American Paratroopers are what I drink for, when I do. Dead American Paratroopers are what I breathe for, when I do. Dead American Paratroopers are what I live for, when I can. Dead American Paratroopers are what has maintained the Worlds' freedom, and to that, I am forever indebted.

Toast: To us and those like us.
Counter: May God rest their souls!

Rest in Peace my brethren. Everything I shall do tomorrow and forever will be in your names.

Really? We call it Veterans' Day. Please read up on it and learn what Armistice Day means to the Europeans. I would only hope that it means as much to you as it does to them. Your freedom, as does theirs' is owed to many great Americans that left their blood and their lives in Europe.
sorry never heard of it refered to as Armistice Day. once again my apologies

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 11-10-2008, 07:57 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
sorry never heard of it refered to as Armistice Day. once again my apologies
Not at all, Armistice is more important than veterans. You're not taught about Armistice, you're taught about veterans. It lies the other way for the Europeans that we fought to free though.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:00 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

thanx, ? though where is jefferson city

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

Old 11-10-2008, 08:10 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
thanx, ? though where is jefferson city
Jefferson State:

http://www.jeffersonstate.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Jefferson

Old 11-10-2008, 08:19 AM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

so one of two which

Newest Threads